Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you ever bought a full bolt? >

Have you ever bought a full bolt?

Have you ever bought a full bolt?

Old 06-20-2010, 05:52 PM

I've never found a fabric that I like enough to buy a whole bolt however after reading this thread, buying fabric for backing by the bolt makes sense and I would most likely look at your website first.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:31 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

When you think about it, if you're doing a large quilt you might need about 9 yards for the backing, and if you do borders out of that fabric and some of the blocks too, you're probably talking close to a whole 15-yard bolt anyway.

I'm wondering if there is an un-met need among quilters for full bolts? It would be easy for a store to deeply discount a full bolt, if it's special ordered for a customer, there's little handling involved (you don't have to measure a full bolt), and the store doesn't have to "hold" the fabric, just move it in and right out again.

It would be nice to have the option to use a fabric that you *love* for the backing, if it's a quilt that you're going to keep for yourself, or give as an heirloom gift, right? Instead of settling. (If the price is right for your budget, of course!)
Old 06-20-2010, 06:41 PM

I've never been able to buy a whole bolt of anything, but I have, at times, bought all that was left on a bolt. That might be 2 yards or 10.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
When you think about it, if you're doing a large quilt you might need about 9 yards for the backing, and if you do borders out of that fabric and some of the blocks too, you're probably talking close to a whole 15-yard bolt anyway.

I'm wondering if there is an un-met need among quilters for full bolts? It would be easy for a store to deeply discount a full bolt, if it's special ordered for a customer, there's little handling involved (you don't have to measure a full bolt), and the store doesn't have to "hold" the fabric, just move it in and right out again.

It would be nice to have the option to use a fabric that you *love* for the backing, if it's a quilt that you're going to keep for yourself, or give as an heirloom gift, right? Instead of settling. (If the price is right for your budget, of course!)
Are you going to offer this on your web site??
Old 06-20-2010, 06:58 PM

I have bought full bolts of muslin and batting, I have used the 50% coupon from Jo Anns. I buy the wam and natural batting and the wide muslin. As for fabric, maybe 1/2 bolt if on sale.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:01 PM

I bought my first full bolt of coton bating at Jo-anns with a half off cupon. I left feeling like I just stole it!
Old 06-20-2010, 07:04 PM

Yep, that is how I feel when I get mine.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:16 PM

Several years ago I purchased a bolt of navy fabric with tiny white dots. I thought it was so lovely. I sacrificially used a lot of it making aprons for our church mission team to take to Brazil, then made more the next year.

I used it a lot in quilts until, after a couple more years, it didn't seem quite so "lovely" and then it was used for backing, lining teacosies etc.

Finally, earlier this year I became so sick of looking at it that it went to the Charity Shop.

I don't think I shall ever use a navy pindot again!!
Old 06-20-2010, 07:56 PM

I didn't read all the posts on this topic, so my apologizes in advance, if this is a re-peat question. Many of you have said you particularly by Muslin in the bolt... What do you do with a whole bolt of Muslin? Just curious??
Thanks, Julie in AZ
Old 06-20-2010, 09:01 PM

i have bought full bolts at Jo anns when i have a coupon , usually it is for warm and natural or muslin