Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-20-2010, 08:06 PM

Some of you may remember that I won an auction on the goodwill site for a vintage Husqvarna Viking Automatic Class 21. It arrived on Friday having traveled from Oregon to Georgia by FedEx and I am happy to report that it had been packed very carefully and suffered no damage in transit. It will definitely require a thorough cleaning and oiling, the smaller belt needs replacing and we may need a new switch because the motor starts running as soon as the machine is plugged in. The good news is that cosmetically it looks pretty good with no rust and only a few minor scratches. It's a pretty green machine. I know someone out there probably has a machine like this and I am wondering if anyone has a repair manual for these Vikings. I am also looking for extra cams for this model. I have the "C" cam but would love to get my hands on the "A" and "B" cams. Or if anyone has one of these machines (working order or for parts) that you are interested in selling very cheap I may be interested in purchasing it.
Old 06-20-2010, 08:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Darcene
Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

Pic #2 is a 8W--awesome machine!!
So that would make it a Brunswick 8W--would you educate me about the brand and the machine itself?

Curious in KS,
Darcene
I was thinking it was a National myself but I might be wrong. Maybe you should have sent that one first Darcene LOL!!

Nah I am in love with the Singer 9W ;-) and it should not take much to have it up and going but finding the treadles are going to be a blast!!!

Billy
Old 06-20-2010, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Well, to make a short story long.....I went to an auction today looking for attachments...instead I bought 5 (yes, that is five) machines as a group for $15.00 (yes, that is fifteen).....poor babies are in pretty bad shape....some may recover, some I'm not so sure of.....see for yourself.....
I dont like you any more!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

That is a wonderful haul Darcene and the 1879 Singer is really a Singer 9W that was made from left over parts from the Wheeler and Wilson acquisition in 1906 I think. Charlee can tell you the exact date on that one. But you have some really nice machines and when I go on my trip this September you know I am coming there for a day or so!!

Billy
:) I gotta go find the pictures...but I was told that the Singer 9W was manufactured in 1912...
Old 06-21-2010, 05:32 AM

I think I improperly used kerosene on the finish of my machine. I wiped the finish with kerosene before I used the GoJo to clean it. It seems to have broken down the finish and may have removed it in places.
Any advice?
Thanks.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny

Pic #2 is a 8W--awesome machine!!
So that would make it a Brunswick 8W--would you educate me about the brand and the machine itself?

Curious in KS,
Darcene
Sorry, it was late, and I'm suffering from travel-lag! I was referring to the 9W Singer. They're not a very common machine, but are wonderful to sew on. When Singer bought out Wheeler and Wilson, they continued to make a WW type machine (the 9W) for a time after the merger. The needles are a bit hard to come by, but they're out there.

The Brunswick is a National-made machine, sold by Mongomery Wards. I'll go back and take a look at the machine, and see if I can come up with any further information.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:19 AM

Curious in KS,
Darcene
. . . I was referring to the 9W Singer. . .

The Brunswick is a National-made machine, sold by Mongomery Wards. I'll go back and take a look at the machine, and see if I can come up with any further information.[/quote]

OK--according to Charles Law, the Brunswick C is a Model "VB-TT" Vindex "B" and was the cheapest model sold in the 1920's. It should not be hard to find a cabinet to hold it, as there are many National cabinets around, still in good shape. I know I have at least 2 here myself, and some people are really into the Nationals and have more than that!
Old 06-21-2010, 07:51 AM

Hi all, I wanted to share another of my machines, this one came to me through my husband I think it was his grandmothers.
Can anyone tell me what type of needles this one takes? I would really like to clean this one up and use it but if I cannot find the needles it won't do me much good.

Bev
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-89178.jpe
Views:	428
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	89183   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-89179.jpe
Views:	412
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	89184   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-89180.jpe
Views:	422
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	89185  
Old 06-21-2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by BZ quilting
Hi all, I wanted to share another of my machines, this one came to me through my husband I think it was his grandmothers.
Can anyone tell me what type of needles this one takes? I would really like to clean this one up and use it but if I cannot find the needles it won't do me much good.

Bev
Try a regular 15x1 needle in it. Many machines can use this needle, though sometimes they have to be cheated down a bit.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:21 PM

Here's an interesting article on machines sold by Sears, including the Minnesota D:

(http://www.ismacs.net/sears/sears.html)
Old 06-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Icandothat
I think I improperly used kerosene on the finish of my machine. I wiped the finish with kerosene before I used the GoJo to clean it. It seems to have broken down the finish and may have removed it in places.
Any advice?
Thanks.
Well your not suppose to rub the kerosene all over the machine but you should be okay if your careful. Kerosene is not going to hurt the finish but if you get any on it but try not to get it all over the finish and if you do just wipe it off. If you rub the finish down with it and you have any deterioration it will take it off. The Go Jo is what you clean the surface with.

Billy