Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I am appaled!........or am I just cheap? >

I am appaled!........or am I just cheap?

I am appaled!........or am I just cheap?

Old 06-21-2010, 04:54 AM

It is easy to forget, but because of the extreme weather conditions experienced over the past several years (stronger tornadoes, more flooding, more fires), many crops have been damaged or destroyed (even cotton) and when there's lots of crop damage, the farmer will add on what he can to maintain a living wage. The same thing happens with distributors as well as retailers. It becomes a vicious circle because everyone wants to survive, so everyone tries to maintain enough to cover overhead expenses, hence cost of everything will rise. Haven't you noticed all the small businesses closing their doors because they can no longer cover their expenses? When the economy tanks, only the healthy businesses survive. Since the economy went south, have you bought as much fabric or quilting supplies, or have you tried to maximize your savings on purchases by using more coupons or only buying during sales?
Old 06-21-2010, 05:01 AM

Well put Moon Holiday. A friend of mine had a Shop and closed about a year ago. Just couldn't compete with the economy. Sold all of her fabric at 70% off. I did manage to get as much as my pocket book would allow so now I have a lot of stash and just fill in when I need to. So I feel like I am part of the problem too. We have all been affected by the economy and I'm afraid it will not get any better.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:44 AM

We just have to be better shoppers. Deals are out there, we just have to work a little harder and occasionally pay top dollar for pieces we just have to have.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:18 AM

I have never bought on line before. Are we allowed to say here what stores are the best?
Old 06-21-2010, 07:20 AM

fabric.com is excellent material, lot of clearnace and speciality fabric and Missouri Star quilt is excellent. Ive ordered from both, fast delivery and quality is better than Joanns, which I use also.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:25 AM
EC

Originally Posted by beachlady
I still shop my LQ shops in my area, but we in Maine are so lucky to have the surplus store that has everything from furniture to fabric. The fabric is quilt shop quality and name brands and is 2.99 (or lower)to 4.49 (for batiks) a yard. If you were looking for a particular fabric you probably would not find it, but at 2.99 yd you can find something else!!! It does not do on-line, but if you ever get to Maine, you should check it out! It is called "Mardens" and is in quite a few towns in Maine. Local qilt shops are pricing themselves into closing, but they are paying more too.
Might I ask, which Marden's locations are your favorite for fabric?
Old 06-21-2010, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by granny18
Dyxie, I live in Pleasanton, about 35 miles south of San Antonio, right off I-37. I have a small quilt shop and I am closing it at the end of July. Local people would rather make the trip to S.A. than give the business to the local merchants.
Virginia
They got to be crazy. There is not that many shops in SA. I have been to Creative Sewing Center but don't know if I could ever find it again from downtown. I have a friend that lives there & she goes to New Braunfels now to get her stuff. I will tell her about you.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

If prices do increase to the point no one can buy much fabric, then that will be the time to stock up, when the shops all start closing down. Sad. History repeats itself. That's how many many made a fortune during the depression, buying what others had to sell for whatever price they could get. I doubt it isn't planned.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:58 AM

The market will with stand what people will pay. I believe that when consumers have had enough and nothing moves prices will decrease. Just like the housing market.

Our LQS closed down a couple of years ago. I miss it it was right next door to my business. Which was nice and dangerous at the same time.
Everything else is at least a 30 min. drive.

On line shopping.

Could we start a list of on line shops we frequent in another topic log.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by quiltykiwi
Hi All. fabric prices here in the deep south of New Zealand are approx $36.00NZ for good quality material. Cheaper material from Spotlight which I think is similar to Joann's
range from $10 for "spit through" to $25 for medium quality.
Well, you DO have the finest smocking patterns in all the world
:lol: I've ordered items along these lines from -your- LOVELY Country on a number of occasions. Lovely heirloom stitching, etc. Isn't the internet wonderful...all one big happy quilting family now!