Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
11 year old wants to quilt!! >

11 year old wants to quilt!!

11 year old wants to quilt!!

Old 06-22-2010, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
my daughter also never had any interest in sewing anything, even though i've been multi-crafting all her life (and most of mine)and she is 30-something...but much to my glee, all 3 of my granddaughters LOVE TO SEW AND QUILT! the youngest made her first quilt when she was 4 and had to make one to send her daddy in Iraq so he wouldn't forget her...she had been collecting fabrics (boy, that's a different tale) so she laid it all out on the floor, i did any cutting and all ironing that needed to be done, she designed it and sewed it all.. we even tipped a dresser on its side for her to stand on so she could quilt it herself on the long-arm.
I love that story.. too cute!
Old 06-22-2010, 06:15 AM

My daughter is 8 and wants to quilt. Do you think that is to young? If not what type of machine do you think I should get for her. I have a Viking Designer SE and I think it would be to much for her to handle. Please give me your thoughts...
Old 06-22-2010, 06:16 AM
Power Poster

Pass on Birthday wishes to your Daughter from us here :thumbup:

Remind her of the golden quilting rule... Relax and have fun, and there are no rules :lol:
Old 06-22-2010, 06:19 AM

How about the disappearing 9 patch? It's easy, all straight seams, but when she's done she'll look like a miracle worker. Great boost for a beginner.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:22 AM

Congrats!! Start with something simple and small to teach the basics. Then let her pick something that says easy out of one of your books or mags.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:49 AM

My very first quilt (a doll quilt) was made on Mom's machine when I was three years old. I can remember having to stretch my entire leg out to push the knee pedal with my foot. I also remember my older sister stacking encyclopedias on the sewing chair and saying, "Now don't tell Mommy that you're sewing on her machine because she'll think you're too little and we know you're not." It was a great conspiracy between us. Having a sister that's 8 years older can be a lot of fun.

No, she's not too young at all. Get her a full sized machine but an inexpensive one. Don't get a child one or she'll probably get discouraged in a hurry. Janome, Brother, and others make a little bit smaller less expensive machines without being toy-ish. The Janome Magnolia is a wonderful beginner machine.

Originally Posted by ThreadsofLife
My daughter is 8 and wants to quilt. Do you think that is to young? If not what type of machine do you think I should get for her. I have a Viking Designer SE and I think it would be to much for her to handle. Please give me your thoughts...
Old 06-22-2010, 06:51 AM

you can get some brothers from walmart at a great price.. thats what i started on and am very happy with it
Old 06-22-2010, 07:14 AM

ok, I'm really liking the idea of the D9P, but the only problem is that I can't find a pattern using 3 colors. Does anyone know where I could find one? I am not the greatest at finding out how much fabric I need to make a quilt yet and would hate to not get enough of whatever she picks out. I'm hoping to make a throw, so not too big for her to loose interest, but big enough she can cuddle up with it when she's watching tv.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:29 AM

Thank you! I will look into some this weekend! She will be so excited!
Old 06-22-2010, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by brookemarie19
you can get some brothers from walmart at a great price.. thats what i started on and am very happy with it
I bought a Brother 4000CE, almost new, off Craigslist for $60. They're around $200 at Walmartr. I LOVE it, sew with it all the time, it's lightweight enough to take to classes and heavyduty enough to do what I want it to do. It also has several stitches built in.