Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Kits: Friend or Foe? >

Quilt Kits: Friend or Foe?

Quilt Kits: Friend or Foe?

Old 06-22-2010, 03:51 PM
Power Poster

I've never bought a kit. I like to pick out my own fabrics.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:59 PM

Bought a kit at a quilt show for a flannel baby quilt. When I prewashed/preshrunk the flannel (8 fq's), some of them shrunk so much they became parallelagrams, impossible to square up without losing a lot of cutting area! Had to piece, which really showed on some of the pieces.
They know that flannel needs to be preshrunk and included a bit more of each piece to allow for that.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:00 PM

oops - last line should've said ..."they SHOULD HAVE included a bit more of each fabric to allow for that".
Old 06-22-2010, 05:25 PM

I've used several kits, mostly BOMs from JoAnn Fabrics. I like them because they're pre-cut and cutting is my least favorite part of quilting. I've used some from Hancock's, too, as well as buying some from eBay. Most of the ones I've used are very well coordinated.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:34 PM

I don't purchase kits for two reasons, I like to choose my own fabrics ( colors and print selections) and I like to "finger the fabrics" to check the quality and see if they fit my expectations. Sounds silly maybe, but its sort of like trying on a pair of shoes as opposed to ordering them online. I like to try my fabrics on for their "fit" to me and my project! However, that being said, you have already purchased the kit and I say you should definitely make the quilt as it came. You may find when its done you will love it!
Give it a fair chance. Keep an open mind and you may be surprised at the end result. You have everything to gain and nothing to lose! It may look bad in pieces but the finished quilt may be beautiful. Remember the old saying, "Use it up, wear it out, make do... or do without!"
Old 06-22-2010, 06:11 PM

I buy kits if the shop has a completed sample on display and it look's like one I'd like - especially if it's on sale! So if it's not something I really like once I've made it - it goes to one of the charities we give quilts to.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:15 PM

I used to eye the kits with desire, but held off because I thought I could do them cheaper on my own. Then I realized that my favorite part of the quiltmaking process was the planning and choosing, which the kits do for you! So I don't even look at them anymore, except to soak them up as potential ideas.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:16 PM

I just did the same thing while I was on vacation, I got a kit, and I'm in the process of cutting it out, and now I'm not sure I like the colors.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:52 PM

I have lots of kits. I prefer them as I don't feel competent to match /choose colors. I only buy specific ones I like from LQS, Keepsake quilting and Connecting threads.
When I see a quilt that catches my eye, I always ask about a kit.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by mms61371
I purchased a quilt kit for my grandson from my LQS. The fabrics looked adorable, they were cowboy themed. I have had it for about 2 weeks now. I washed the fabrics, ironed them, and cut them out using the "Take 5" pattern. As I was hanging them on the design wall when I realized I did not like the fabric at all. They may have looked good folded together, but on the wall it looked horrible. I call my DD over to let her take a look just to see if I was being over critical. My DD took one look at it and said the same thing I had been thinking all along. I am really upset with myself. I am on a very tight budget and the fabric costs $65.00 for the kit not including the pattern which was $8.00. This was the first time I purchased a quilt kit, I'm not sure I will do it again. Has anyone else ever been in this situation? Now I am back searching for new fabric and a new pattern. This is going to take a lot longer than I thought.

Thank you for reading (listening) , I just needed to vent. :cry:
Since you already have the fabric and have prepared it for the quilt, why don't you go ahead and make it ? You might be surprised at the finished Quilt... Just a thought!