Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Support for the quilting board members >

Support for the quilting board members

Support for the quilting board members

Old 06-20-2010, 01:57 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Maybe we could have two "lists", one for fabric, supplies and services and another for finished goods, so that we could support our members from start to finish? This just seems such a nice idea to start... and I'd hate to see anybody left out!

And speaking of nice... I would like to thank everyone who put in a good word for Favorite Fabrics. Thank you also, everyone who signed up for our newsletter. I don't know *when* I've ever had so many requests to sign up! It's so very encouraging... thank you all again!
Old 06-20-2010, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
What a kind and practical suggestion!

Please include me on your list of shops. I would most definitely appreciate the support of the members here.
:thumbup: Checked out your site today, loved what I saw, placed my first order.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:59 PM

I work at a great quilt shop in Carthage, Missouri. It is called Block By Block and it's web site is blockbyblock.net. We have customers from all over US. It is a great site.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:17 PM

Maybe we could have two "lists", one for fabric, supplies and services and another for finished goods, so that we could support our members from start to finish? This just seems such a nice idea to start... and I'd hate to see anybody left out!

And speaking of nice... I would like to thank everyone who put in a good word for Favorite Fabrics. Thank you also, everyone who signed up for our newsletter. I don't know *when* I've ever had so many requests to sign up! It's so very encouraging... thank you all again!
I thought that was what the classifieds were for? Maybe I'm wrong. Atleast that's what I've seen there. Don't know.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:41 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

I'm thinking that *mostly* what's posted in the classifieds is unique, one-of-a-kind items or supplies that aren't always available. As opposed to members who have a permanent selling presence, be it a website or an eBay or Etsy store or what-have-you.

And here is where I get a bit befuddled as to how to make a list of members-who-sell, and keep it here on the Quilting Board. You could have an ongoing thread, made "sticky" (is that the right term?), where it appears at the top of a section, and it's in boldface. I'm sure that would be pretty easily done.

But it wouldn't be so easy to use, in that you'd have to scroll through multiple replies to find, say, the member-store that you're looking for.

It would be easier to use, if it was all just one page or file, with all listings in it (maybe roughly categorized, or alphabetized). But that would require someone to maintain it, every time there was an addition or deletion to be made.

Maybe someone has an idea how this could be done?
Old 06-23-2010, 08:57 AM

Been in contact with Admin and I just don't know how this could actually be done, some ideas have been put out there. Would not be an easy thing to do. I had a thought, but my concern is the miss use of this. For indivduals that all of us have been in contact with everyday its a wonderful thing. For others that would come on just to do this to just promote themselves is another and we've all seen where there have been incidents of not fair play.

I don't want something that is good go bad. So here's just a thought that might work out in the meantime. If we're headed somewhere, let's just ask like done in the past, if there is someone on the board in such and such state or city please let me know I'd like to stop in. If there's a service that is needed let's ask say I'm looking for say sewing machine repair in such and such state anyone here that can help.

I'm very disappointed, but considering we have over 15,000+ members and this actually could drive the moderators nuts (which I didn't think of originally - until trying to figure out something) unless there is something foolproof put in place, it could end up being a nightmare and just cause hard feelings.

I'm sorry I did have good intentions, just didn't think the whole process through though. :-D Maybe at a later time when something definitive can be come up with that wouldn't cause headaches for other individuals. Trying to think this through.

Again, soooo sorry! :cry:
Old 06-23-2010, 09:11 AM

I like this idea. I'm listed in the links and resources but a separate category for members only sites would be great!

Thanks to all of you who have purchased from my website. I have those darling bow tucks tote patterns in stock but they are going fast! Someone sent a message today with her payment "Do not ship if shipping is not free". Well, shipping IS free so I'm shipping! We'll be seeing more of those bow tucks soon!
Old 06-23-2010, 09:16 AM

Good Idea!! :wink:
Old 06-23-2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Been in contact with Admin and I just don't know how this could actually be done, some ideas have been put out there. Would not be an easy thing to do. I had a thought, but my concern is the miss use of this. For indivduals that all of us have been in contact with everyday its a wonderful thing. For others that would come on just to do this to just promote themselves is another and we've all seen where there have been incidents of not fair play.

I don't want something that is good go bad. So here's just a thought that might work out in the meantime. If we're headed somewhere, let's just ask like done in the past, if there is someone on the board in such and such state or city please let me know I'd like to stop in. If there's a service that is needed let's ask say I'm looking for say sewing machine repair in such and such state anyone here that can help.

I'm very disappointed, but considering we have over 15,000+ members and this actually could drive the moderators nuts (which I didn't think of originally - until trying to figure out something) unless there is something foolproof put in place, it could end up being a nightmare and just cause hard feelings.

I'm sorry I did have good intentions, just didn't think the whole process through though. :-D Maybe at a later time when something definitive can be come up with that wouldn't cause headaches for other individuals. Trying to think this through.

Again, soooo sorry! :cry:
Don't apologize-you have a great idea there. Actually, I like it better and that way we can patronize those that are on pretty regularly and not just once or so to promote themselves. When we get a website for whatever, then WE can make a special folder in our favorites and start a list there instead of relying on the board to do it. Great idea and great job! thanks!!
Old 06-23-2010, 10:37 AM

Just a though... there are probably a LOT of members with stores. What if, as part of the listing, you could include a brief mention of what the store specializes in, such as batiks, novelties, historical, contemporary, kits, pre-cuts, basics, etc.?

It might be helpful!

great idea!