Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country. >

Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country.

Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:52 PM
Banned

We really ARE hillbillies in Arkansas......right Eddie? I said right Eddie??? :lol:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-88047.jpe
Views:	102
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	88052  
Old 06-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Power Poster

LOL, lots of us eat cheese...but I am alleric to milk!!!!!!!!!!! Im affraid I am NOT a good cheesehead!
I was tending bar the other night and a lady from Califoria said I sure hada Wisconsin accent, lol?????? Never knew we had one!
Old 06-23-2010, 05:33 PM

Love this thread and what people are saying. Generally, after living in several States: Iowa, Missouri, New Mexico, Alaska, Iowa again, Illinois, Texas, and back to Missouri in retirement, good people are found everywhere and few stinkers we prefer to forget about. We have a common thread in the USA being Americans. Abroad, I think, there are good people and people the good people avoid. We are all human beings, one on one seems to get along better than the governments.

Missouri has become tax crazy; Personal tax, personal property tax, and a high tax on new cars. We will run our old ones thank you. Are other states going crazy for the tax dollar?
Old 06-23-2010, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
Not everyone in Utah is Mormon (LDS) and all Mormons are not polygamists.
I don't know if it's still true today or not, but when I lived in Utah in the early 80's, there were more Catholics PER CAPITA than LDS! Idaho had a larger number of LDS per capita than did Utah....
Old 06-23-2010, 05:48 PM

And we don't have total darkness in the winter --close to it sometimes. LOL

Originally Posted by ktbb
Alaska really is a part of the United States and you can actually drive here. Anchorage is not "the bush" - we have running water, sewers and real houses. Some of our buildings even have elevators! And Anchorage winters are milder than most Minnesota winters, better than Chicago winters, etc. Can't say the same about winters elsewhere in the state, however.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:51 PM

California:

Not all of us are blond and tan
Most of us do not surf
We are not all nuts
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 06-23-2010, 06:01 PM

I have enjoyed this thread tremendously. I will have to post a pic of our beach here and maybe my house too--it is not a cabin! We have internet and TV and everything you all do here! The flowers are blooming all along the rds now. And we have some of the cleanest rds in the US. And down here on the coast we actually have four seasons, but winter tends to be the longest sometimes. And we all don't hunt and fish although we have some of the best of both here.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:25 PM

My husband actually had somone come in the grocery store and ask how much farther to the ski hills - it was nearly 90'F. He pointed out that they'd actually come south to go sking in the summer.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by mhunt1717
Not every female in Kentucky is barefoot or pregnant at 14. Bourbon is not served for breakfast. We're not all hicks--some of us are well-educated. We do, however, ALL love UK basketball!!

(I'm SURE that's not true--some Kentuckians live in Louisville--which can be mispronounced by people who live anywhere in the state...!)
My mom was from Kentucky and she said that there really is more than 3 sets of DNA there. Ouch, I was kidding, don't hit!
Old 06-23-2010, 07:09 PM

Washington State is NOT pronounced WaRshington as many do, and though the R could stand for rain, it mostly drizzles, not downpours like it does in Arizona where I now live. And though I lived in WA for 23 years, I did not grow webbed feet. However, there is a great deal of truth to the laid back attitude of the great Northwest, and WA was/is a beautiful and friendly state to live in.

Regarding AZ, though called a right-to-work state, it is NOT the employee rights that are upheld as much as the employers. Fair wages are not the norm in many areas and they just recently got on board with the Federal minimum wage. But all in all, I love being in a dryer climate though dusty, and enjoy the lakes and pine trees that abound at our altitude. I had to move from WA due to serious complications to a specific mold that grows there.