Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country. >

Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country.

Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:47 AM

A huge misconception about Florida is that life is easy here and there are lots free beaches anyone can enjoy, only interrupted by orange groves and theme parks.

My experience is that is is a transient state, with folks staying long enough to realize that the jobs are few and low-paying, and the cost of living is as high as anywhere else. Instead of state income tax, "fees" are imposed. It seems as if there is a rich 10%, a very small middle class, and an ever-growing majority of people subsisting. As the jobs are lost, crime keeps going up and up. Shhhhhhhh... don't tell the tourists!
Old 06-24-2010, 05:59 AM

What is a Chinese fire drill?
Old 06-24-2010, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Kimcatlou
What is a Chinese fire drill?
At a stop light eveyone jumps out of the car, runs around it and gets back in before the light changes to green. We have them in Illinois too. Just a silly thing that kids and young adults (or older ones that are still young at heart) do. Why is it called a Chinese fire drill? I haven't a clue.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:06 AM

After lots of traveling (which included 3 trips to Ireland) , I have fallen in love with Ireland. What a beautiful country, friendly people with great senses of humor, and a more relaxed way of living than in many other places!

Alas, due to age and my husband's health, we can't return to Ireland. But, If you haven't been there, go if you can!
Old 06-24-2010, 06:09 AM

Arizona... people think it is hot, hot, hot all over. I live in Eastern Arizona, and we have snow in the winter, not much, but, we have snow. Temps drop to 20 also. Our high temp in our location is about 86, but, the dry air makes it feel less.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:15 AM

I am a "tar heel" from North Carolina. Why is it that so many people don't know the difference between NORTH Carolina and SOUTH Carolina?
Of course North Carolina is superior to South Carolina. (LOL) (My husband is from South Carolina and we met in college in South Carolina!)
North Carolina has much to offer--beautiful mountains, thriving piedmont, and gorgeous beaches!
Old 06-24-2010, 06:21 AM

North Dakota... I can mimick most of what JAGSD said about SD. We are also asked whether we have the "cowboys and indians" thing going on daily. Whether we know anyone who has been scalped. hehe But, I have to admit there is no misconception about our winters... even I think our winters are worse than most! :)

However, we do NOT talk like the people seen in the movie "Fargo"! (which is actually a movie about a Minnesota story - although I'm close to MN and they don't talk that way either)
Old 06-24-2010, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by KeenKountryKreations
Ok, might as well join in :D - It is New JERSEY, not JOISEY. All the women DO NOT have BIG hair. We are NOT all Italian (I'm Scottish). We are not all millionaires - even though you need to be one to live here!! Bruce Springstein is just another country boy...not a state icon. I was first american born here and have lived here my whole life in one part of the state or the other and all in all, it really is a very nice place :)
I've lived in Jersey for 55 years so believe me when I tell you everyone doesn't scream at each other, have year round tans, sleep around, fist fight to settle arguements, oh, I could go on and on. The rash of TV shows 1 - young kids living at The Shore, drinking, fighting, sleeping around, 2- at a dress shop - Mom and DD's scream at each other and customers too, 3 - at a beauty shop - fighting, yelling, etc, and 4 - worse of all, Housewives of NJ - such trashing looking clothes, over decorated houses. 99 and 9 tenths of us are average people living and working average lives. May in Jersey
Old 06-24-2010, 06:28 AM

I am a "tar heel" from North Carolina. Why is it that so many people don't know the difference between NORTH Carolina and SOUTH Carolina?
Of course North Carolina is superior to South Carolina. (LOL) (My husband is from South Carolina and we met in college in South Carolina!)
North Carolina has much to offer--beautiful mountains, thriving piedmont, and gorgeous beaches!
I get the same thing --
"Where are you from?"
"West Virginia"
"Oh, near Richmond?" (or) "I've been to the beach there!"
:::rolls eyes:::

West Virgina is land-locked, and Richmond is the capital of Virginia...
Old 06-24-2010, 06:33 AM

I vacationed there two years ago. Wonderful place. Outer Banks is great. Nino's Pizza--the best pizza I ever ate. I think it's in Waves or Avon.