Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country. >

Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country.

Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:38 PM

Colorado--Yes, we have snow year round...in the mountains. We don't all ride horses to school, the store. except maybe on the farms, you CAN water ski/jet ski here, You can have all four seasons in one day here but only in the spring, many people have bicycles on their cars that cost more than the cars, we do wear shorts and parkas in certain cold weather, DIA is the airport and it doesn't mean "Doesn't Include Airplanes". Blizzards do happen and they will cramp our style but only for a couple of days. There are many more but the most important thing to me is that I don't think I would want to live anywhere else.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:25 PM

Nebraska.... One of the most diversed states in the union. Geographically we have everything: mountains (mini), forrests ( man made - planted). huge lakes that have waves and beaches, beautiful corn and soy bean fields, cattle, horses, pigs, clean rest areas along the interstate ( now how many can claim that one? lol ). Home of the one index finger wave to say "hi" from vehicle to vehicle. We're that friendly. We smile at strangers and even greet them with a friendly "Hi" - even the opposing team. We love visitors and welcome Californians who are moving into our state by the droves. We do have tornadoes warnings but rarely earthquakes. We are absolute center of the United States or.... we are in the center of everything!
Old 06-24-2010, 02:48 PM

I've been to a few small towns in Ontario, Brighton for one. Love it! Just like small towns in my area, central Indiana. Would love to come back to visit some day. I did meet a few Canadians who do not care for Americans, but that's okay. Met a lot more who like us. That's just life.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
Not everyone in Utah is Mormon (LDS) and all Mormons are not polygamists.
In fact, Mormons are NOT polygamists. That ended years ago. There are polygamists, but they are NOT Mormons.

Mormons are delightful, peaceful people, as a rule.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
You really DON'T pronounce the S in Illinois.
Not all of Illinois is in Cook County nor is it called Chicago.
Our governors don't really make our license plates. In reality they get to go to a federal prison.
Most common misconception: Illinois has some honest politicians. We don't.
No our governors get to have 2 official portraits, 1 in a suit and tie and the other in an orange jumpsuit with #'s across the chest.

:lol: :oops: :lol:
Old 06-24-2010, 03:09 PM

after living/working two years in St. Barbara/California (1984-86) we went off with an RV for a seven month trip across the US, Canada and a bit of Mexico and we were confronted with quite a bit of misconceptions against californians because we where travelling with a californian licensplate.
The minute we outed ourselfs as swiss (proved with bad english and swiss chocolate) the situation was much better!?
Old 06-24-2010, 03:10 PM

Ok, I'll do my best!

New Hampshire.....

Not everyone is a farmer or dairy farmer. Not everyone makes maple syrup. We do have lives that go on before and after Presidential Primaries every 4 years. Not everyone votes at midnight. We are NOT a bedroom community for Massachusetts. We are NOT all republican. We have 18 miles of beautiful coastline, the White Mountains, Mt. Washington, the hightest peak in the northeast, we don't all hunt for deer or ice fish. We do have 4 seasons, fall is espcially beautiful. We do have black flies, mosquitoes, no see'ums, snow fleas...in the spring you can still hear the peepers. Daniel Webster was born hear, Willa Cather is buried here in Jaffrey. We may be a small stated, but we are not the smallest. Manchester is the home of the world-renowned Currier Museum of Art. Oh, how could I forget, NH is the home of Keepsake Quilting!
Old 06-24-2010, 03:20 PM

People have the impression that all have missing teeth and speak a gnarly ignorant sounding language. There are a few people like that, but they only appear on TV when interviewed by newsmedia about some local catastrophe. I live in the Carpet Capital of the World and speak a lovely southern lingo. People ask me to tell them a story so they can listen to my accent. When I was in New York once the man at the news stand of 42nd street asked me if I was from Atlanta, Ga.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by marybs
Originally Posted by Boston1954
Massachusetts taxes are no worse than other places. Food is not taxed. Clothing is not taxed. I lived in Nashville, Tennessee for 12 years and was taxed on everything.

Oh, and it is Massachusetts.....NOT Mass. It is a place not an event. Mass is something my husband might go to on a Sunday morning.
And we are not all cold, anti social, snobs! I was so surprised when I went to grad school and that's what people thought about MA people...ouch!!!
and some of us can pronounce "R"s in the middle of words...like park, car, and harvard yard!
Old 06-24-2010, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
Originally Posted by raptureready
You really DON'T pronounce the S in Illinois.
Not all of Illinois is in Cook County nor is it called Chicago.
Our governors don't really make our license plates. In reality they get to go to a federal prison.
Most common misconception: Illinois has some honest politicians. We don't.
No our governors get to have 2 official portraits, 1 in a suit and tie and the other in an orange jumpsuit with #'s across the chest.

:lol: :oops: :lol:
kinda embarrassing isn't it. I'm still trying to figure out how
these last two jokers got elected, gotta be the Chicago influence
at work there. I'd move, but I like the area where we live and
the people are really nice. Oh well, cie la vie!!