Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your Top 3 Quilting Magazines >

Your Top 3 Quilting Magazines

Your Top 3 Quilting Magazines

Old 06-25-2010, 05:33 AM

We have a store called "Half Price Books" in Indy (not sure if they are all over the nation). They sell old magazines...I went in one day and the quilting magazine rack was FULL of old magazines from the 80's 90's and 10 cents each. SCORE. :)

I do like Quick Quilts - I think I'll subscribe to that. The subscriptions are just so expensive and you get MAYBE 4 issues a year...
Old 06-25-2010, 05:33 AM

We have a store called "Half Price Books" in Indy (not sure if they are all over the nation). They sell old magazines...I went in one day and the quilting magazine rack was FULL of old magazines from the 80's 90's and 10 cents each. SCORE. :)

I do like Quick Quilts - I think I'll subscribe to that. The subscriptions are just so expensive and you get MAYBE 4 issues a year...
Old 06-25-2010, 05:34 AM

I'm holding firm with Australian Patchwork and Quilting. They are expensive ($10.00 ea) but I usually love all the quilts in every issue. I don't buy very many at the newsstand any more.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:22 AM

I subscribe to Quilters Newsletter, Quilting Arts and Quiltmania. But I also buy other magazines at stands after a quick look to see if I like any of the patterns. I get Easy Quilts from Fons & Porter but don't keep it because I don't like the quilts featured there--they are kinda boring (in my opinion.). Currently I've stacked my magazines (prior to giving them away) and they are 3-1/2 feet high.!
Old 06-25-2010, 03:39 PM

American Patchwork & Quilting
Quilter's World (just received it in today's mail!!!)
Quilts and More (don't have a subscription but I always buy it)
Old 06-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Power Poster

Aw, lucky you, Adriane, wish we had a half price book store in our area! Ten cents is awesome, I would have grabbed all I could!
Old 06-26-2010, 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
I'm holding firm with Australian Patchwork and Quilting. They are expensive ($10.00 ea) but I usually love all the quilts in every issue. I don't buy very many at the newsstand any more.

If you like APQ, have a look at Australian Quilters Companion - it knocks spots off APQ - AND it also includes a CD in a hard case of a different technique with each issue. It is a bit dearer, but it comes out bi-monthly so is cheaper in the long run than APQ which is monthly.

Down Under Quilts is another bi-monthly, and they also have a free digital version which you can subscribe to. http://www.duquilts.com.au/.

My other must have is the New Zealand Quilter - just extended my subscription to that.

Love the American Quilter, and sub to that also.

I don't like APQ for several reasons. The contents are rehashed; the magazine is enclosed - with 2 back issues of other magazines they can't get rid of/sell, and then charge you more than the cover price of the magazine. I don't want the extra magazines, and I DO want to see what I'm buying.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:38 AM
Banned

I'm letting most of my subscriptions expire. My local library gets Threads, Piecework and Quilters Newsletter.

I have at least 15 three-ring binders full of quilt patterns; I'm 74 - enough is enough
Old 07-05-2010, 10:31 AM

I like quick quilts. I have cut back from what I subscribed too. When I go to the store to buy a magazine, it has to have at least two quilts in it that I want to make before I buy it.

Another place to look for magazines might be at local quilt shows. Our local quilters group has a show every other year and has a garage sale section. Lots of times I can get older magazines for 10 centers - 25 cents.

The suggestion of using the library as a source is also great.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Adriane
Hi!

I'm on a budget - who isn't! I need to pair down the quilting magazines I subscribe to. What are your three favorite quilting magazines?

I'm not picky - I like variety.

Thanks for your input! :-D :D
I hear you. I reduced to one McCall's Quilting. Second would be Fons and Porter. My all time favorite is Australian Patchwork and Quilting but I only had that one year (Thank you mother and father in law) because it is very pricey and I can get stacks of magazines over here for that. Love my back issues though and hanging onto them.