Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you Visit your Local Quilt Shops regularly? >

Do you Visit your Local Quilt Shops regularly?

Do you Visit your Local Quilt Shops regularly?

Old 06-25-2010, 06:23 AM

Pensacola Dosn't have a LQS we have jo-anns and Michales and one other store I'v never been to. I have been dreaming about Jo-anns if I really wanted to it is in walking distance but the baby wouldn't like that with this heat so I wait for a ride....
Old 06-25-2010, 06:26 AM

The nearest LQS is only a few months old. They are so friendly, and I always buy something to support their business. I really want them to stay open!!
Old 06-25-2010, 06:30 AM

There are several local (i.e., within an hour's drive) quilt shops in my rural area and I stop at my two favorites at least once a month, the others at least four times a year. The owners have become friends of mine and I generally buy a couple yards of fabric every time I visit. Two other local shops have closed their brick and mortar stores and are now doing business online only. It's less expensive for them and they resisted as long as they could, but at least they are still in business.

Although I shop online for bolts of Kona solids, I prefer to buy everything else from locally owned shops. That goes for non-quilting stuff, too. For every $100 spent in a locally owned store, $68 returns to the community through taxes, payroll, and other expenditures. If you spend that amount in a national chain store, only $43 stays home. Spend it online and nothing comes home. It's a neighbor helping neighbor thing for me. If you would miss a store if it disappeared, do your part to keep it in business.

Oh yeah, and at every single quilt shop I have ever been in here in this cold, aloof northeastern part of the country, the staff has greeted me within two minutes of opening the door with a smile, a welcome, and an offer of help. I have never been ignored or made to feel like I was imposing on them. ;-)
Old 06-25-2010, 06:40 AM

I should say that one of ours isn't the friendliest place in the world. I was there one day trying to buy fabric and right in the middle of cutting my fabric one of the owner's inner circle of customers walked up, ask her a question and she walked away with the woman. After about 5 minutes I said, "Is she coming back?" The woman on the cash register said she'd go check. When the cash register woman came back she said, "She's on the phone now, something about her horses. She may be awhile." I left. Although I'm in a BOM there I buy very little else. I've also overheard her talking badly about customers to other customers which made me wonder what she says about me---very bad for business.
While I realize that as quilters we need them, as business owners they also need us. Business owners need to do everything possible to make their stores inviting. If I have a choice, I'm going to go where it's always inviting and cheerful.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by raptureready
I should say that one of ours isn't the friendliest place in the world. I was there one day trying to buy fabric and right in the middle of cutting my fabric one of the owner's inner circle of customers walked up, ask her a question and she walked away with the woman. After about 5 minutes I said, "Is she coming back?" The woman on the cash register said she'd go check. When the cash register woman came back she said, "She's on the phone now, something about her horses. She may be awhile." I left. Although I'm in a BOM there I buy very little else. I've also overheard her talking badly about customers to other customers which made me wonder what she says about me---very bad for business.
While I realize that as quilters we need them, as business owners they also need us. Business owners need to do everything possible to make their stores inviting. If I have a choice, I'm going to go where it's always inviting and cheerful.
Yes, it does go both ways. I would have left also. That's ridiculous.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:06 AM
Power Poster

My LQS Ericas is wonderful :thumbup: They tasl to me, greet me and let me wonder around.

I have been to LQS where I get ignored , in those cases I usually leave with very little if anything , If i like the way I am treated I buy more :thumbup:
Old 06-25-2010, 07:13 AM

Do I visit my LQS regularly?
Yes they are a great bunch there. And I've bought 2 machines from them in the past.

Do I buy my fabrics there?
Usually no. I'll buy notions, patterns, etc. But their prices are a little high for me right now.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:46 AM

I completely agree that your LQS needs to "want" your business and be friendly and know who you are... or at least want to know who you are!

I also agree that most LQS owners aren't in it for the big bucks :) I should know... I'm working at opening mine (hopefully by August). My LQS was closing due to her own personal reasons and I couldn't stand to see it closing, so I'm hoping to keep it open for our community and those surrounding us, but it looks like I'll take a HUGE cut in salary to do it... :( So, I guess my main focus is already the customer and not $... although, hopefully, someday... both would be great... :)

And, thanks and HUGS to all of you who helped me so very much by responding to my thread, asking for what you personally like in a LQS!
Old 06-25-2010, 07:50 AM

I would be broke if I lived near Ericas. I love their website!

Here in the Rip Off Republic, our extortionate Value Added Tax of 21% makes fabric and notions very expensive indeed. I knew one woman who considered going into business, but when she talked to local (Dublin) quilters everyone was either going on holiday in the US and filling suitcases or ordering over the internet. She didn't feel there was a way to add enough value to overcome the price difference. Which probably explains why we don't have a LQS!
Old 06-25-2010, 07:50 AM

Yes I support my Local Quilt Store, I travel for my work and frequent some stores on a regular basis, i would just hate if it my home town store closed. I'm the president of our local Guild so I make sure we buy from the local store when we have community projects to do in return we get a discount of 10% for being guild members. I always tell new quilters to visit the local quilt store they are worth their weight in gold in good product, good classes and lots of advice from many diffrent quilters.