Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you Visit your Local Quilt Shops regularly? >

Do you Visit your Local Quilt Shops regularly?

Do you Visit your Local Quilt Shops regularly?

Old 06-25-2010, 08:00 AM

I was in mine recently-a sewing machines turned quilt store.I got greeted(she scared me she was just there!) and within a minute turned around and left.I asked for SM grease-for gears-she claims they didn't have any??? How can that be?Then proceeded to ask me what machine it was for.Like that makes a difference? Not gonna get my business anymore. I think they di carry it,she didn't want to be bothered.Like I wouldn't have browsed fabrics and prolly bought some.

Shelly
Ft.Lupton,CO
Old 06-25-2010, 08:34 AM

I hit the one here in town usually once a week. I was just here yesterday. The other 3 which are a little further away I try to hit at least once a month. I will usually buy at least a little something each time I go.
They all know who I am!!!!
Old 06-25-2010, 08:53 AM

I have not had wonderful experiences in my LQS. I do love to look around at all of the great items, but I seem to always be in their way. There is always someone's personal friend, or a "preferred" customer that more than one of them is talking to. I cannot afford to buy all of my fabric and supplies in a LQS, but I do buy some. I don't like the feeling of being treated as a second class quilter just because I do not buy hundreds of dollars each time I shop. I feel that if I were treated better with my $30 purchase, I would probably come back more often and maybe purchase more. Just my thoughts.....
Old 06-25-2010, 09:22 AM

I try to support all local businesses, but only if I get good service. It just so happens that the service at my LQS is great. Unfortunately an employee had to quit because business is slowing down and they wanted to put her part-time. But I still get good service and will go there whenever I can.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:46 AM

When our walmarts had fabric, I would look at what they had, but my daughters would always remind me not to buy any. They would say "you know they are gonna put the small shops out of business and you don't want to be a part of that do you?" Always made me turn away & go to a local shop. :)
Old 06-25-2010, 10:09 AM
Power Poster

We are driving to look at a buffet from craigslist today - oh shucks, there happens to be a quilt store 5 blocks away. Since I am on a self-imposed fabric-buying moratorium, I wasn't going to stop there. DH says that is sacraligious - so I wracked my brain......and I have no black fabric. I think I NEED some black fabric. Nodding head vigorously. SO yes, when given an opportunity - I visit the local LQS.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:34 AM

I shop at my LQS regularly and buy my fabric and patterns there. It probably takes me longer to finish a project than alot of you so it's a longer time between purchases. I also bought my Pfaff sewing machine and serger there. Great service and classes! When I need notions and batting I go to JoAnn's and use the coupons. Today is a sidewalk sale at the LQS-all the fabric on the sidewalk is marked way down. So guess where I am headed next...
Old 06-25-2010, 11:17 AM
Administrator

let me stress, first of all, that i would never try to change the mind of a diehard LQSer. that will absolutely not be the point of my comment here.

if fewer people are shopping at LQS it's because (1) fewer people can afford the ever-increasing prices; or (2) fewer people are willing to pay the ever-increasing prices; or both. inconvenient hours are also a contributing factor.

i have a great deal of human-being-to-human-being sympathy for a good person who's done her best for her customers but must, nonetheless, close her doors.

but i will not accept blame, feel shame, or take on unfounded guilt because i chose to not rearrange my whole life to squeeze in time to buy things i don't want or need from a place that charges more than i can afford.

if there was an LQS in my town, and the hours were convenient, and the service was good, and the selection of fabrics and notions was good, and the prices were in a range affordable to the average person, and they didn't bash and trash fabrics sold elsewhere, i would be a loyal patron.

however, my loyalty would not be based on some odd notion that I owe that loyalty to the shop. i would do it in hope that LQS would stay in business for my convenience and benefit and for that of my fellow quilters. we do not owe any business our custom.

if you love your LQS and want to help it stay afloat, then i encourage you to do that. just don't beat yourself up if you don't or can't.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:24 AM

I show at lots of places. If I am making a special quilt that I want to last & know the person will take care of, I am more inclined to look at LQS. If it is a quilt I want used & loved, I don't chose the most expensive fabric. For charity quilts, I want good fabric but can't spend $8+ a yard for every quilt. I figure I do between 2 & 4 quilts a month for charity so have to be careful with my money.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:17 PM

I LOVE my LQS. I only can go about once a month, but where I live we get a lot of seniors in the cooler months. I applied for a job there, but I probably won't get it until this fall.