Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country. >

Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country.

Common misconceptions (misperceptions?) about your state/country.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
Originally Posted by Rhonda
All Iowans are not HICKS!! And we don't live in the sticks!! A lot of us have actually been to college!!! And we don't all run around barefoot all the time(But I do! LOL).

The thing that irritates me is when they want to make a character sound like he is going into the back of beyond they use Iowa as the place he is going to! We do have culture and it isn't all hog farms and corn fields!! LOL

And there are more towns in Iowa than just Des Moines and Davenport. BTW Des Moines in pronounced D-Moyn Not Dez Moyns.
Hmmm.... You reminded me of a 4-H exchange trip I took as a teenager. Wish I could remember the surname of the family I stayed with. When I arrived at their house (on the hog farm with the corn fields), they were having a cockroach race. OMG. No way to leave, stuck there for a week.

Actually had a good time, for the most part. It was an adventure! And participated in my first and only Chinese firedrill...
You don't pronounce Iowa as Ioway. That happened when I moved to Texas. Love the Chinese fire drill but be careful not to lock the car doors when everybody gets out. That happened downtown at the Main Street corner. I was in the car behind that car. I never laughed so hard in my life!!!
Old 06-25-2010, 03:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by maryb119
Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
All Iowans are not HICKS!! And we don't live in the sticks!! A lot of us have actually been to college!!! And we don't all run around barefoot all the time(But I do! LOL).

The thing that irritates me is when they want to make a character sound like he is going into the back of beyond they use Iowa as the place he is going to! We do have culture and it isn't all hog farms and corn fields!! LOL

And there are more towns in Iowa than just Des Moines and Davenport. BTW Des Moines in pronounced D-Moyn Not Dez Moyns.
Hmmm.... You reminded me of a 4-H exchange trip I took as a teenager. Wish I could remember the surname of the family I stayed with. When I arrived at their house (on the hog farm with the corn fields), they were having a cockroach race. OMG. No way to leave, stuck there for a week.

Actually had a good time, for the most part. It was an adventure! And participated in my first and only Chinese firedrill...
You don't pronounce Iowa as Ioway. That happened when I moved to Texas. Love the Chinese fire drill but be careful not to lock the car doors when everybody gets out. That happened downtown at the Main Street corner. I was in the car behind that car. I never laughed so hard in my life!!!
My DGS and I were just talking about Indian words used as place names in Iowa. I looked it up just a few minutes ago. Iowa named for the Indian tribe Ioway and it is assumed it is a version of the Sioux word Aiauy meaning This is the place or The Beautiful Land. Just a bit of trivia I thought was interesting!
Old 06-25-2010, 05:27 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dljennings
Originally Posted by marybs
Originally Posted by Boston1954
Massachusetts taxes are no worse than other places. Food is not taxed. Clothing is not taxed. I lived in Nashville, Tennessee for 12 years and was taxed on everything.

Oh, and it is Massachusetts.....NOT Mass. It is a place not an event. Mass is something my husband might go to on a Sunday morning.
And we are not all cold, anti social, snobs! I was so surprised when I went to grad school and that's what people thought about MA people...ouch!!!
and some of us can pronounce "R"s in the middle of words...like park, car, and harvard yard!
Oh, and one more thing.....not everyone in Provincetown is gay.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:31 PM

Wisconsin---We all like Brett Farve. Not true...though most of us are probably ticked about him going to the Vikings. lol. Not everyone has that "Wisconsinite" accent (I don't, but I'm told it sometimes slips in there when I'm angry). Not everyone here lives in a diet of cheese...well, I could, but my lactose intolerence wouldn't like it so I don't. But we may possibly consume enough cheese where you'd think our state vegetable would be the chili cheese fry. We may be labeled the "dairy state", but we haven't been living up to our name because in recent years we've been loosing out to California.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Leota
Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
A piece of trivia here. Did you know that if Alaska divided in half to make 2 states, Texas would be the third largest state? In other words, Alaska is more than twice as big as Texas.

El Paso, TX is closer to California than it is Dallas, TX.

Beaumont, TX to El Paso, TX 742 miles. Beaumont, TX to Chicago, IL 770 miles.

Texas is the only state to enter the US by treaty rather than by annexation.
Texas was a separate country :D before joining the U.S. :D
So was Vermont.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:55 PM

I am a transplanted Texan to Oklahoma. Been here 50 years now. I've read most of the comments and didn't find many posts from Okies. (I agree with my fellow Texans, BTW) We are not all cowboys in OKLA either. As my fellow Okie stated, there are other schools besides OU and OSU. When we have tornadoes, only a few places are affected. We don't many like the 1999 tornado that was on the ground for a couple hundred miles and did so much devastation. We also claim to be in Tornado Alley.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:04 AM

Way to go, Rhonda! I am from Iowa and defend it all the time. So many people here in CA. think that Califonia IS the US. So Not true! There is so much to see and do in Iowa. Poeple are so nice and wave at you all the time. A lot of excellent education and culture comes from there. A lot of movies have been made there for good reason. After all, there really is a Field of Dreams.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

Maybe we need a companion thread to post all the things there are to offer in our state! We have museums that preserve Indian History in Iowa and there is a Quilt Museum in Kalona. We have tours of some of the most beautiful old churches. There are beautiful state parks! We have Geode just about 20 miles away from us and we spent alot of time there taking our kids fishing while they were growing up. I'm sure there is alot more but these are the ones in our area SE Iowa

We also have great colleges and great college football teams!
Old 06-26-2010, 09:43 AM

Maybe we need a companion thread to post all the things there are to offer in our state! We have museums that preserve Indian History in Iowa and there is a Quilt Museum in Kalona. We have tours of some of the most beautiful old churches. There are beautiful state parks! We have Geode just about 20 miles away from us and we spent alot of time there taking our kids fishing while they were growing up. I'm sure there is alot more but these are the ones in our area SE Iowa

We also have great colleges and great college football teams!
I am a nurse in CA. and you wouldn't believe how many residents and doctors I have run across that have gone to school at University of Iowa and they all felt it was great. And, one of the things I loved most about going to grade school in Iowa was a seperate class we had to take...Iowa History. Learned about Kate Shelly and the Grotto and Black Hawk and Grant Wood and John Wayne and the Bridges of Madison County, and so much more colorful history. It seemed to be one of the favorite subjects of everyone's and a have found that a lot of schools don't teach a thing about their state's history. Amana Colonies has so much talent and so much to offer. And, the capitol building has been considered one of the most beautiful in the US with its all real gold dome. I never got bored there growing up and always something fun to do. Every state has a colorful history and a lot to offer in one way or another. I guess I have been taken out of Iowa, but Iowa has not left my heart. I didn't want to move to CA. but my ex did and when we got here he missed Iowa so much. He got to move back there but since we were ex's by then I couldn't find a way to go back at the time and I am still here, but not for much longer. But, actually I am glad I got to live in CA., too, because I have learned a lot and met a lot of nice people, so it is has not been a wasted experience.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:45 AM
SC

Another Alabamian here. No, we don't eat possum. (Or at least no one I know does) Yes, we have paved roads. Alabama has beautiful snow white beaches. We also have beautiful mountains. I live just a couple of miles from the deepest gorge east of the Mississippi. Breathtaking scenery! And southern hospitality is alive & well here!