Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Celtic Knots >

Celtic Knots

Celtic Knots

Old 06-25-2010, 05:34 PM
Power Poster

The tiniest drops of Elmers School glue will hold them in place. Use a hot dry iron to set it, keep it in the center and then you won't have a worry about sewing through it. You can buy applicator tips in the craft section where they sell the little bottles of acrylic paint.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

I have never tried one. Hope some one else has some tips.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:34 PM

that is so pretty. How long did it take you to complete that design?
Old 06-25-2010, 06:41 PM

Thank you, for sharing your pictures they are beautiful. I do have the Bias Bars. was wondering did you machine sew? and how did you initial attach the bias. I saw someone posted they use elmers glue.
Originally Posted by Lacelady
I made my own bias, but not with a bias making gadget, I machined a narrow seam down the length of the bias strip, and ironed the seam allowance to one side, using a bias bar inside. Then the tube was appliqued onto backing, with the seam allowance away from me (facing the backing fabric). Bias bars are available in mixed packs of different sizes. Slide one inside your tube, and iron the tube as it comes off the end of the strip. As above, short lengths are fine, because joins can be hidden behind the bridges.
Link for info re bias bars: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art1330.asp
Old 06-25-2010, 06:47 PM

I USE ELMERS GLUE STICK IT HOLDS AND WASHES OUT.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Google Goddess

Welcome to the board, never heard of it
Old 06-25-2010, 07:56 PM

Sorry, I am of no help. I get confused just looking at it.
Old 06-25-2010, 08:12 PM

I've used bias bars, washable fabric glue, and my own fabric. I like the aluminum bias bars better than the plastic because the folds on the edges are sharper and more accurate. If you have an opportunity, try both types of bars and see which you prefer. Good luck. The quilts always look more difficult to do than they really are. I like that...LOL
Old 06-26-2010, 02:58 AM

I'm stitching Celtic Knot Sampler at the moment, and using iron on bias. No problems stitching it at all. Just remember if you are using it, to use a hot iron and NO steam.

The centre block is 45" square, so instead of ironing it all on at once, I intend starting from the centre and ironing and stitching sections as I go. So far I have 9½ blocks of 12 done. It's my 'sanity saver' when I need something mindless to work on. :-)
Old 06-26-2010, 04:00 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Quilt Love
Thank you, for sharing your pictures they are beautiful. I do have the Bias Bars. was wondering did you machine sew? and how did you initial attach the bias. I saw someone posted they use elmers glue.
Originally Posted by Lacelady
I made my own bias, but not with a bias making gadget, I machined a narrow seam down the length of the bias strip, and ironed the seam allowance to one side, using a bias bar inside. Then the tube was appliqued onto backing, with the seam allowance away from me (facing the backing fabric). Bias bars are available in mixed packs of different sizes. Slide one inside your tube, and iron the tube as it comes off the end of the strip. As above, short lengths are fine, because joins can be hidden behind the bridges.
Link for info re bias bars: http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art1330.asp
I hand sewed it, it's much easier to get round the corners that way - BTW, sew the outside curve first, then ease in the inner curve. If tape wiggles and goes in different directions, if you are hand sewing, you can just switch to the other side - it wouldn't be easy to do that my machine though. I designed this myself - I can buy ends of rolls of newsprint from our local newspaper, and I took a square of that and folded it quite a few times, then drew the paths of the tape on one section, opened it up, and traced those paths onto all the other sections. Tucking a different fabric behind some of the tapes changes a design considerably.