Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Have you made a baby quilt lately? >

Have you made a baby quilt lately?

Have you made a baby quilt lately?

Old 06-26-2010, 04:26 AM

The last quilt I did was a PINK princess theme, pinwheels and plain blocks. I have done butterflies, jungle animals, teddy bears,dinosaurs, whatever strikes me as a good quilt for that baby. For the 3 grandsons as they got a little older: Thomas for Ty, Bob for Evan, and Elmo for Grady, their choices.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:26 AM

I think if the mother has already picked out her theme, it would be great to make her a quilt with that theme.. I just did a baby sports theme for my grandson and it will compliment her decor in his room.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:27 AM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

I usually stick with pink for girls and blue for boys unless I know the person it is for (mom of baby) has a specific color theme that is different. I also think pink and blue are the main stays and the other colors come and go with the trends.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:34 AM

This is far out in left field for most but knowing it was going to be a boy and how the brothers and the father felt about John Deere and Nascar....... I made a rag quilt (the ones you make in squares then snip the edges of each square) with John Deere on one side and Nascar with a touch of Huskers on the reverse side. It was a hit with the Mom too. It's a quilt that he can use for years - not just the baby years.
Old 06-26-2010, 04:56 AM

Since October of 2009 I have made and donated 32 baby quilts. I enjoy making these quilts and hope to see a baby wraped in one of them some time in a store that I am shoping in. Fabric is getting expensive now so I may slow down a bit.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:04 AM

I haven't made a baby quilt. I have been helping a neighbor learn how to quilt. I helped her with two, thus far. She is going to be a grandma in August. She surprised me by making a baby quilt by herself. The nursery theme is jungle animals. Actually, she bought quilted fabric from Walmart and added the binding. I bought the same fabric and made a diaper bag. The baby's last name is Jam.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-87231.jpe
Views:	185
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	87236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-87233.jpe
Views:	182
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	87238  
Old 06-26-2010, 05:11 AM

Here is one I just made for a family friend's new baby. They requested bright colors, and that's what they got. They said they are displaying it in a spot where that will be one of the first things the baby sees every morning when he awakens.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-87041.jpe
Views:	187
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	87046  
Old 06-26-2010, 05:15 AM

I am a grandma. My daughter is expecting a little girl in nov.
She asked me to make her a quilt for the baby's bed. She is doing the room in pink and purple. She wants butterflies and flowers. She wants to show off the fact that she has a little girl. I love it. granddaughter # 3 for me.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:23 AM

I've made lots and lots of baby quilts. Because new moms choose themes for their nurseries and because they all have different likes and dislikes in colors, I choose to make little "utility" quilts that can be used and abused and enjoyed by baby. I usually choose bright colors or nursery rhyme "themes" for my quilts. Sometimes I even throw in a little black and white because of baby's eyes. I usually add a card (or tell the mom) that this is NOT an heirloom quilt. It is a quilt to be used for practical purposes. They can throw them on the floor, on diaper changing tables, etc. Baby can SLEEP, PLAY, PEE, PUKE, OR POO on them. Then throw in the washer and dryer and it's good to go again.

The last baby quilt I made was for my mom and my sister's oncologist. It was a bright quilt made for 5" squares from my leftovers from other baby quilts. On my sister's last visit, her doctor told her how much they were enjoying the little quilt that can be thrown on the floor for baby to sleep or play.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:25 AM

Grandma Age??? You can be a grandma in your late 30's!!!!
I like bright colors weather it's a baby quilt or an older child. I guess I just like brights. I made three this year and one was bright dinos (didn't know the sex yet), One had the alphabet in bright colors and funky animals and one girlie girl quilt with bright pastels.