Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
let's talk about bobbins!!! >

let's talk about bobbins!!!

let's talk about bobbins!!!

Old 06-26-2010, 07:41 PM

I have a Bernina 730 and it has a warning beep and stops sewing to warn you bobbin is low. I love it!
Old 06-26-2010, 07:44 PM

Well, I have a Janome and it has a plastic cover over a drop-in bobbin but when you're sewing it's covered by the fabric! I get so engrossed that I forget to check in-between steps to check the level of thread left. I had to smile when I read the post because I ran out tonight while sewing trim on a toddler dress. Not a big deal but I was quite a ways before I noticed it. Then I'm mad at myself for not checking!
Old 06-26-2010, 07:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bluestarmom
I am curious, do any of you have a machine that will signal you in some form that your bobbin is close to empty?????
Careful what you wish for. Low bobbin indicator was a MUST on my machines. The old Pfaff has a little light that blinks when the bobbin is low. Since I am a big girl, I know what that means. It means that if I don't pay attention, I will run out of bobbin thread and look like a fool when I continue to sew. Once I get to within a foot of the bobbin thread, the light would blink again and I would know that the end is near. ....until a little bit of lint messed up the sensor and....no more indicator. I was left to deal with the feel and the look of "uh-oh - I'm out of bobbin"

The next Pfaff had a different kind of low bobbin indicator:
It showed me in big letters on the display "Low Bobbin" AND it stopped the foreward motion of the sewing process dead in its tracks. I could start sewing again, and sometimes, I could sew 5 more stitches, sometimes 3. Since there was at least 6 foot of thread on the bobbin, I had a lot of starts and stops. Ready to scream - LOUDLY!

My new machine has a drop-in bobbin and I hope I will pay attention.
Old 06-26-2010, 08:33 PM

I have a clear window with a drop-in. I alway's have extra bobbins already wound to popo in. I can see the amount of thread on it when Iturn fabric, etc. I am never able to get that engrossed in my projects.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:01 PM

On the Pfaff 7570, once the low thread indicator lights up, it does stop sewing. You can trick it by opening the bobbin door and keep sewing. This disables the sensor. The tricky part is to remember that the bobbin thread is low and not sew too much further. Otherwise, you sew along without thread.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:22 PM
Power Poster

My Singer Quantum has a tiny red light that blinks when the bobbin is low. I know how long I can sew before it is empty.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:51 PM
Google Goddess

yes my Phaff computerized sewing machine beeps when the bobbin is almost empty
Old 06-27-2010, 03:59 AM

I have a Brother SE 350 and it beeps at me and words pop up on the screen telling me the bobbin is almost empty. I have to push close (also on the window) to continue on and lock my stitches down so I can change them. I find this feature invaluable and absolutely love it.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:02 AM

My Viking #1 Plus had that feature and that machine was bought in 1997. I loved it. I see no reason why sewing machine makers cannot put that on as a standard feature! This is the one thing that I really would love to have on my Juki and Sapphire!
Old 06-27-2010, 06:46 AM

Interesting to hear about other 7570's. I got one of the first one's made. I know there were a few upgrades to software on the "newer" ones that weren't on mine. My bobbin light flashes and lets me know the bobbin is low and the screen will tell me. I press the OK button. I then have 15 feet of thread left and it will sew with the bobbin indicator light lit up. I like my indicator a lot. I know what that flashing light means even if the screen didn't ask me.