Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you store your block patterns and templates? >

How do you store your block patterns and templates?

How do you store your block patterns and templates?

Old 06-27-2010, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Ardelle Coult
Walmart sells a cake box that locks and has carrying handles - and stacks. They cost around $5. I use them to store fabric, patterns and ongoing projects. Since I live in a motor-home and travel full-time, they are perfect for me.
How do you manage to sew in your travel trailer. We have one and we use it when we move ( we are in the army and we move every 2 - 3 years. I can see us being full timers when he retires. Just wondering how you do it.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:56 PM

I am organizing my fabric stash and I am using the clear plastic produce containers from Costco. I can then see what is stored. I also use one for charm packs and a smaller one for 2 1/2" squares.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
I save the clear plastic packaging that curtains, tablecloths, sheets, etc., come in. Most have zippers and a hook on the top and vary in size from 8x6 up to comforter sized. I store projects in the larger ones, patterns in smaller ones, take along projects in others. They can hang from hooks or a clothes hanger out of the way but you can still see what's in them.
Jan, this is my very favorite way to store blocks or sm. unfinished projects, too. I also like to use the clothes hangers with clips on them that pants hang from for strips in progress. Easy to see them as you go.
The larger zipper plastic bags that blankets come in are treasures, too.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:12 PM

I have 2 binders 1st binder I use for patterns that I have made. I have a paper stappled to the pattern telling me the date when I started the quilt and when I finished the quilt.And if I kept it or I gave It to someone. Also I add a picture.
2nd binder is for all the patterns that I have found and would like to make someday.
3rd is a plastic bin made for going under the bed its not very deep and you can see all your fabric. I have 2 of those for my fabric stash.1 bin for Christmas fabric and the other for all the other fabric. I also have a deeper plastic tub for the quilts I am ready to make. I put the fabric and any other pieces to make the quilt in a plastic bag .When I'm ready I can pick which quilt I want to make and its all in one spot.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:33 PM

Boot boxes, super size ziplock bags, 3 ring binders and some patterns are made of scrap poster board with holes punched in them and twist ties thread thru them to make a hanging loop and then I hang them on my pegboard wall!!
Old 06-27-2010, 06:37 PM

Zip lock bags and then into a tote. UFO are in the dresser drawer.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:27 PM
Power Poster

Lots of plastic bins in all sizes
Old 06-28-2010, 05:29 PM

I buy tins,left over from Christmas and now you can find some nice ones with the kids toys. I just found one from the GW 18"by18",perfect for 15" blocks.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:41 AM

I got to thinking about that, and with me just beginning, I don't have many patterns for quilts. But in my piles of stuff, I discovered the accordion file, toe one used for bills and such, it hasn't been used for quite some time, and that is ideal for the patterns, and alphabetized as well!
Old 06-29-2010, 12:15 PM

I keep all my patterns in plastic sleeves in a binder. One for quilts and one for crafts.