Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you Visit your Local Quilt Shops regularly? >

Do you Visit your Local Quilt Shops regularly?

Do you Visit your Local Quilt Shops regularly?

Old 06-27-2010, 02:05 PM

I live in the "hills" and it is 25 minutes down the hill to get to anywhere. However, we do have one LQS here, "Crazy 9 Patch", and my sister (who lives here too) took me in a couple years ago on one of my visits (I was living overseas). They were having a back-room sale of fat quarters and other yardage, and I bought about $150.00 worth, even though I was really over-limit on my baggage allowance! Being a real tight-wad (sale shopper, coupon clipper, etc) it really went against my frugal nature, but I enjoyed every minute and every inch of that fabric! They also recommended a few handy notions, which I love. I now live in this community, and am really wanting to go back, not necessarily to just buy stuff (money is tight after just re-locating to the States), but want to meet some other fellow quilters and just hang out! I will probably feel guilty if I DON'T buy something. Problem is, I am a bit shy going on my own, my sister not really into quilting much and really busy anyway. I don't drive here yet so DH has to take me. I'll try to give it a go.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:38 PM

I go to a lot of quilt shop in our area and spend my share of money maybe a little more then I should and yes our walmart in Ludington has fabric. :-D
Old 06-27-2010, 07:06 PM

QBETH: You beautiful cat is the twin of my AMALIE. Has to put her to sleep last Feb. 09. Still mourn her loss. Give your adorable one many hugs and kisses for me.

Hugs to you

Helen 8-)
Old 06-27-2010, 07:09 PM

I try to visit my locals as much as possible and only buy from them. WalMart fabric isn't the grade we think it is.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:07 PM

I have 1 LQS near me... the cheapest fabric is 14.99 a yard. I can't justify that for any reason. The lady is friendly, BUT friendly doesn't pay my bills.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:40 PM

Theresa, I also live in Oregon City. We got all the Portland shop hops quilt shops done on Friday (4of us) and will be going out tomorrow to hit the 1-5 corridor. The blocks this year are really pretty neat. I made 2 of them over the weekend. PM me and lets see if we are near each other. Always to have someone close by for help and inspiration.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:46 PM

If you get the chance to get to the Yamhill quilt shop, it is worth the drive out there. The block was already cut out for you with the sticky paper on the back to applique on already., plus there was a ball point pen the the package. Oh yes, you even got to pick your fabric. :-)
Old 06-27-2010, 09:09 PM
Power Poster

I don't have the money for LQS.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:58 AM

I agree with some of what you are sayng. It is nice to support our local business. Our LQS very rarely offer sales, they get premium price for their fabrics and I'm sure their overhead is HUGE, but I wish they would offer more specials and why do they have to get top $$ for everything in the store. My niece owns a QS and she does not mark her fabric up 125% they offer many monthly specials, reasonable classes and different events. Yes it is sad that our LQS are pricing themselves out of business. Just like everything else our economy is hitting so many of us and there need to be some changes or there will be more going out of business. Sorry but I own a business and have ha to offer some breaks in order to stay in business.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:48 PM

I went to my LQS on Sat. as I drove to the parking lot I was lucky to find a space to park. I had second thoughts to go in cuz I thought something special was going on. I got off, as soon as I walked in, they said hello, like always. I asked what was going on. They were having a quilt run. I told the owner I would be back when they were not so busy. She had time to answer my questions and showed me the fabric I was looking for, another employee had time to show me how she had made her totebag.. Everybody is always nice, friendly, and ready to help. I do enjoy my LQS, I just don't have a lot of money to go there all the time. When I go there I'm treated the same all the time. First Sat. of the month they take JoAnn's coupon. Yes they do know my name, and my name is not easy to remember. I wish them well.