Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-27-2010, 05:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nursie76
Hi Billy, Just wanted to jump in here and ask if you know anything about the Domestic Brand Machine Model 924 made in Japan. My DH has fallen in love with the vintage machines made in Japan and their futuristic body design. He just got this one in a cabinet at a thrift store for $2.
Domestic was a very popular name in the early years but eventually the Japanese bought the name and started producing machine with their moniker on them. I cant remember off hand who bought the company but it was sold several times before being dismembered and sold off completely.

Just by looking at the styling cues this could be a Morse, Toyota, or Marzuen.

But this is how Japan got back into the American market by the familiar names (or sounding familiar) and the Americana styling cues. I happen the love the early Japanese machines because of the styling, the colors and the quality of the overall machine.

You really can not go wrong with the early Japanese machines!!!

Billy
Old 06-27-2010, 07:21 PM

Hi Billy....I have a question for you regarding my 1940 Singer 201-2 bobbin case. I have been cleaning my machine and finally took the bobbin case apart. I watched very carefully to get everything back the same way. But I can't get the the ring over the bobbin case to lay flat. When I turn the wheel by hand toward me, it is hitting something under the feed dogs. I have checked my instruction book over and over and tried different things and it still hangs up. I even had DH try and help. No luck. I appreciate your help. This thread is amazing. Thanks, Nancy O.
Old 06-27-2010, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by nwm50
$2.00 ??? What a find.
How does it run? Although i have to say that i have never
heard of this brand, but looks nice there.
An amazing price and it came with what looks to be a beautiful cabinet.

Maybe I am just not in the right place, at the right time but I never seem to sees these amazing deals in thrift stores out west. Hope to one day just for the fun it would be!!
Old 06-27-2010, 07:59 PM

What a beautiful, beautiful old Singer! My grandmother had hers till it died, out on the farm: Blaine County, Oklahoma (about 7 miles north of Roman Nose State Park). It was SO pretty! Like many farm families, she discarded her "trash" outside. I remember wishing so hard she did not put it out in the weather....where it "dissolved" thru the years. Isn't that sad? WISH I had today! I am SO glad you love these old machines! Me too! My mother has an old black SInger, in wooden cabinet...SO pretty, but not like the one you posted here! ~WOW~
Old 06-28-2010, 08:09 AM

A sad story for me.....Bid on a 301a late last nite. It was after 1:oo am , sleepy and missed it by a dollar!! Oh well. keep looking!! Went for $75 with attachments/case.
SIGH !
Old 06-28-2010, 08:56 AM

I am still working on my Viking 21 and was fortunate to obtain a PDF file of the service manual for this machine from a Yahoo group moderator who specializes in early (pre-1980) Vikings. If there is an interest in this I'll be happy to post it. I know most of you collect vintage Singers and similar makes but I would love to hear from anyone who may have a vintage Viking. I am also interested in getting extra cam stacks for mine as well as a less expensive source for the belts. This Viking obsession of mine all started because I was looking for a Featherweight and found this very cute green Husqvarna Viking Automatic Model 21 in its original case instead and couldn't resist. The funny thing is that I just found out that my DMIL has a FW that my DFIL bought for her brand new when they were first married. He paid about $35 for it (a week's salary at that time). I have not seen it yet but knowing her it is probably as pristine as the day it was brought home. It is a treasure that, unfortunately for me, she is not ready to part with because she still uses it. She also has a New Home treadle that needs a belt but is otherwise in working condition. My DFIL also told me that he has a Japanese machine tucked away in his workshop that he will be happy to give me. I have no idea what it is or its age except that he told me an old lady gave it to him (ahem, he's 80) but will post information when I get a chance to get over there to check it out. At this rate I'll probably never get a new fancy sewing machine with all the bells and whistles but I love the history that goes along with these older gems.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:13 AM

I would like to take a moment to thank everyone for their willingness to share their expertise. Without your contributions, I may not have taken the chance at restoring my older machine or purchasing a couple "new" ones : )

The first treadle I brought home, my DH made several comments as to my sanity level. Granted, I suppose I could see his point when I backed my car into the garage and asked if he could help me remove it from my trunk. It was certainly easier going in than getting out.

As I sit here reminiscing, it would have been a Kodak moment watching a 75 year old lady and myself lift, position, and finally secure the trunk lid for the 70 mile ride home.

The machine belonged to her mother, who was a seamstress, and after all these years she decided to “get rid “ of some things so that she could move in with her children. Her story touched my heart. I stayed and listened to her talk about her family. From that moment, I realized that I loved listening to the stories as much as I appreciated the sewing machine.

Judy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-85623.jpe
Views:	356
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	85628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-85624.jpe
Views:	346
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	85629  
Old 06-28-2010, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by lfw045
After talking with my Aunt, it seems that the treadle base I was drooling over (and they probably thought it was all that great food)at my Dad's birthday dinner this past weekend wasn't my grandmother's but my Great Grandmother's and it is still a treadle and they want to sell it! Auntie is finding out how much they want for it for me. She did tell me that Grandma's was just a plain black Singerbut she couldn't remember Greatgrandma's. Wouldn't it be cool if they both followed me home? LOL!
In a perfect world, they would GIVE it to you!! If they come up with some bizarre amount that it's worth, we will all join in and let them know it isn't worth that much!!

I certainly hope it makes it's way to your house; no way should any family piece be sold if there's a way around it.
Update: What do you know........talked to my Uncle today that owns these vintage machines and he said I get first dibs on them both when he decides to let them go and he willl give them to me. Come to find out the one that belongs to my grandmother was a handme down from her mother....and the treadle belonged to my Aunt's mother-in-law that quilted for a living! I remember her quilting well......went with my mother on Sunday's occasionally when I was little and remember wondering if the quilt that was on the ceiling would fall on me and at other times the quilt she was working on would take up that whole room it seemed. It amazes me the memories these machines are bringing out in me......lol! Wonderful.......I am excited even though I don't have a clue when I will actually get them!
Old 06-28-2010, 09:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Kitzone
I would like to take a moment to thank everyone for their willingness to share their expertise. Without your contributions, I may not have taken the chance at restoring my older machine or purchasing a couple "new" ones : )

The first treadle I brought home, my DH made several comments as to my sanity level. Granted, I suppose I could see his point when I backed my car into the garage and asked if he could help me remove it from my trunk. It was certainly easier going in than getting out.

As I sit here reminiscing, it would have been a Kodak moment watching a 75 year old lady and myself lift, position, and finally secure the trunk lid for the 70 mile ride home.

The machine belonged to her mother, who was a seamstress, and after all these years she decided to “get rid “ of some things so that she could move in with her children. Her story touched my heart. I stayed and listened to her talk about her family. From that moment, I realized that I loved listening to the stories as much as I appreciated the sewing machine.

Judy
These machines all have quite a history to them but its a shame that a lot of them will not be known because of multiple sellers or nobody cared to ask about them.

I really like your 27 and it looks like it will be very well taken care of and the history will live on in your heart and in the things it will still make.

Billy
Old 06-28-2010, 09:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by lfw045
]Update: What do you know........talked to my Uncle today that owns these vintage machines and he said I get first dibs on them both when he decides to let them go and he willl give them to me. Come to find out the one that belongs to my grandmother was a handme down from her mother....and the treadle belonged to my Aunt's mother-in-law that quilted for a living! I remember her quilting well......went with my mother on Sunday's occasionally when I was little and remember wondering if the quilt that was on the ceiling would fall on me and at other times the quilt she was working on would take up that whole room it seemed. It amazes me the memories these machines are bringing out in me......lol! Wonderful.......I am excited even though I don't have a clue when I will actually get them!
That is soo wonderful to hear, and the fact that you know the history behind them makes it that much more special! I wish I knew the histories behind my machines but only one do I know the history. And it was soooo bad off I did a repaint to it but the treadle that came from that machine is my main central treadle to use in my studio.

So in a way my friends grandmother's love is still sewing away when I make my quilts!!

Billy