Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
What do you do with cumumbers? >

What do you do with cumumbers?

What do you do with cumumbers?

Old 06-27-2010, 08:35 AM

this recipe sounds german, is it?
Old 06-27-2010, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by quiltinggirl
My family takes sliced cucumbers (peeled), onions, and beets, and puts them all in one container with vinegar. Yummy! Also, I have a recipe for microwave bread and butter pickles, as well as for the sour pickles if you want it. The whole process takes about 20 minutes to prepare and then you stick them in the fridge overnight. They are the BEST!!
Would love your recipe for microwave bread and butter pickles. My used to make B&B pickles and couldn't get enough of them.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbielinks
Last night grandson and I picked the first of the fresh cumumbers - now what can I do with them. We like them fresh cut in salads and I DON'T do pickles. Don't have the time to can them so it's either eat them or give them away. I would really like to hear some ideas on how to fix them without cooking (has anyone ever cooked them?) and/or canning.
I make cucumber relish with mine, simple to do and I just store it in the freezer and take out one container at a time for use.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:37 AM

cucumbers, onions, tomatoes with Italian dressing.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:27 PM

german cucumber salad:

slice cucumbers thin
slice onions thin
mix eight oz vinegar with 3 oz water. add 1/4 cup sugar or to taste. you may have to heat the liquid to melt the sugar. pour the liquid over the cucumber and onion mix. let it chill.

middle-eastern tzatziki:

take a large colander and line it with a very clean dish towel. put it into a bowl.
dump in one large container of yogurt. cover with the ends of the towel and sit it in the fridge overnight. water will collect in the bottom bowl. toss that. the remaining yogurt will be very thick. that's a good thing. squeeze out whatever extra water you can and set aside for a minute.

chop fine or shred cucumbers. add dill, chopped, to taste. add garlic, pressed through a presser, to taste. the garlic will get stronger as it sits. stir it all around. put it in the fridge overnight. the cucumber will make it thinner and replace some of the water.

serve it as a dip or a salad or part of a lamb wrap, greek-style.
Old 06-27-2010, 09:37 PM

btw, how can anyone have too many cucumbers? we eat them as fast as we grow them. try gazpacho, a cold sumer soup from spain, made with tomatoes and green peppers. all from the garden.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:51 AM

I love beets! Would love to have your recipe for the cukes, onions, and beets.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:15 PM

Gazpacho blanco: 2 lbs cukes, peeled, seeds removed, and cut into chunks. Put in blender with 1 can fat free chicken broth, 1 clove garlic minced, 3 T rice or white wine vinegar, and blend until fairly smooth. Add 2 cups fat free plain yogurt, 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic salt, and blend. Chill and serve as cold soup or in a glass. We make this all summer long and even freeze it for winter.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:26 PM

Since I don't care for dill, (see the thread on worst foods!!! ;) ), a gf from India showed me how she makes her tzatziki. Shred and drain cuke, mix with plain yogurt and fresh minced garlic. Refrigerate for at least an hour. Yummy with pita wedges!!

Patti
Old 06-28-2010, 01:47 PM

does she drain the yogurt? my greek friends say drain the yogurt. what do i know?

on the gazpacho, we make the red variety, using tomatoes. sometimes i dice everything fine, sometimes i blend. depends on how i feel. we make it a tad spicy, too. either style, either color, we love it for a refreshing summer lunch.