Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 06-29-2010, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by cjaye44
Does a Singer machine nicknamed the "mean green machine" ring a bell with anyone? I am curious about what model it is. Thanks.
Lots of Singer's machines from the late 60's early 70's were green, including the 319, 306 (both big enough to be mean), 185, 285.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by laura59
Finally getting some close up pics of my Dearing machine. I'm thinking that this was made by National. Would like to find out for sure. Would also like to find out how to thread this machine. Does anyone out there know anything about this machine? Where I can get a manual? What size needle it takes?
If it's a National, you can use a regular 15 X 1 needle and "cheat" it down the needle shaft a bit until it picks up the thread.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Anyone know about or have a Singer 306W? I am interested to know more about this machine. Thanks. :-D
I have one that I REALLY like, but don't get to use it often. (Too many machines. Actually, I have two or three 306 machines, but have only used one.) It's my favorite ZZ electric machine. I know folks who have treadled one, but I haven't made it that far yet.
They use the flat cams, so there's a variety of decorative and utility stitches that can be done with it. The drawbacks are you have to change stitch plates when you switch from straight to ZZ stitching and you have to tip the whole head back when changing bobbins. Neither are huge in my mind, but make sure you have the ZZ stitch plate, as they are hard to come by. Straight ones come up on Ebay frequently.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:55 AM
Banned

I'll be damned I got me a new assistant manager now!! Didnt know I needed one but I reckon you cant have to much help now can you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyhoo I found a couple of advertisements for the New Homes in my stash of documents I have here in front of me. You can not believe the amount of documents that I have and they all need scanning into my computer. I have roughly 4GB of just sewing machine documents scanned and I am just starting. And the vast majority are from the early years during the "Sewing Machine Wars" which is my favorite time of the industrial revolution.

Thats kinda why I started this shop, hoping to help the folks that love this era and to get a group together for sharing of information.

It is really interesting the prices of the machines an the relationship to the cost of living. I know that a lot of you have the really fancy machines and you know that they are really expensive. Lord knows I am slowly finding out because I am buying a new Gammill Long arm with all the computer goodies to go with it. And then you toss in an embroidery machine and we just blew $25K. But at least my wife will be happy and I will be able to play with them too!! :D :D :D

Okay back on track........The prices really have not changed that much. Remember the sewing machine was only 30 years old when the automobile was invented and the average price of a Model T Ford was around $650 in the early teens. So it was pretty new technology at the time.

Here you go.......

Billy

1870's New Home Model A
[ATTACH=CONFIG]85318[/ATTACH]

1870's New Home Model A
[ATTACH=CONFIG]85319[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-85313.jpe
Views:	156
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	85318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-85314.jpe
Views:	132
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	85319  
Old 06-29-2010, 07:09 AM
Banned

Dang, Billy! Does your wife have any clue how lucky she is????!!!
Old 06-29-2010, 07:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BKinCO
Dang, Billy! Does your wife have any clue how lucky she is????!!!
I think she will get the idea, especially since I am selling my bike when I get back from my trip and buying this for her. ;) ;)

Billy
Old 06-29-2010, 07:19 AM

Billy, I bought a Singer Spartan 192 K for $9.50 at a thrift store. Perfect condition, no wear marks in a case. How old is it and any other interesting facts. It sews like a dream.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by girardgirl61
Billy, I bought a Singer Spartan 192 K for $9.50 at a thrift store. Perfect condition, no wear marks in a case. How old is it and any other interesting facts. It sews like a dream.
Sweet score!!!! You did not get hurt at all with that deal......

If you can get me the serial off of the machine I can tell you when and where it was made. I am going to guess it is around the early to mid 50's but I need the numbers to be sure.

But basically you have a stripped down Singer 99 and a not that common one to be found at that. So you really did come out WAY ahead on this purchase!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Billy
Old 06-29-2010, 07:25 AM
Banned

I don't want to be a pain. But can someone tell if that new home machine I posted earluer is good? I don't know anything about these machines.

Thanks
Old 06-29-2010, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by Nancy O.
Hi Billy....I have a question for you regarding my 1940 Singer 201-2 bobbin case. I have been cleaning my machine and finally took the bobbin case apart. I watched very carefully to get everything back the same way. But I can't get the the ring over the bobbin case to lay flat. When I turn the wheel by hand toward me, it is hitting something under the feed dogs. I have checked my instruction book over and over and tried different things and it still hangs up. I even had DH try and help. No luck. I appreciate your help. This thread is amazing. Thanks, Nancy O.
I have just gone through this with mine, and though most of the Singer bobbin cases are a piece of cake to reassemble, this one is a PITA. Here's the link that helped me; hope it helps you, too!!

(http://www.tfsr.org/pub/technical_in...obbin_area.pdf)

Scroll down to page 6, and good luck!!
Miz Johnny.......thanks so much for the info. I went to the site and printed off alot of info. to keep. I was able to fix my bobbin case back to working order. My 201 is back to purring like a kitten again. You were right, it was a PITA. I was able to see how everything worked so much better than that little tiny book they give with the vintage machines.

thanks again Miz Johnny, and.......Hugs......Nancy O.