Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
let's talk about bobbins!!! >

let's talk about bobbins!!!

let's talk about bobbins!!!

Old 06-29-2010, 04:26 AM

I have the Ellegante 2 It tells me when the bobbin is running low. I love it. I have the Quilt Quest it doesn't have the alarm so I just keep sewing until I notice it is not sewing. Then I just swear a little, which doesn't really help.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:32 AM

I have a Pffaf 1475 creative and there is a little red light that flashes when the bobbin is low. Years of expperience lets me gauge when it is about to run out after the light flashes. I love that application.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

No kind of like yours where I continue to sew and then find I was'nt sewing at all.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:50 AM

Vickig, I also have the Babylock Esante--and I love it. The bobbin is viewable and alerts when low, and the thread cutter is something I no longer want to do without.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:47 AM

My Pfaff Quilt Expression bought Dec.30, 2002 has a signal that shows on the "window" when the bobbin has about 5 yards of thread left on the bobbin. FIY, this will only work when the cover to the bobbin case assembly is closed!!!
I remember the purchase date because I LOVE my machine, it has so many features that take the hassle out of garment/quilt/craft stitching. These were features I wasn't even looking for, especially the needle down thing.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:11 AM

Rabbit / Heidi .... have you tried Superior Threads Bottom Line thread for your bobbin? It is 60wt, very thin and lasts a very long time in your bobbin. It is great for piecing, applique, embroidery etc. I love it and use it almost exclusively.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 06-29-2010, 10:24 AM

wraez--not familiar with this. I'll have to check into it. Do you have to adjust tensions to use it with reg. thread on top?
Old 06-29-2010, 12:05 PM

Millie...

I do not adjust tensions just because I use this in my bobbin...and seems for most of my sewing/quilting I use a 90/14 needle with great success.

Here is the Superior Threads website where you can learn more
http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/...e/description/

Recently I have been buying it here cuz it is on sale and cheaper than directly from Superior Threads. I like to buy the big cones of a light color and a dark color for all my piecing. Rarely do I need a special color unless I want it for a quilt back, to match or for contrast.
http://www.sewthankful.com/TheBottomLine.html

But if you just want to try it out and don't care about the color get it from Superior on their 'Try ME' Specials. I have tried lots of their products this way and so far have been happy with all of them.
http://www.superiorthreads.com/shop/...ials/products/

I think you will be happy using this as your bobbin thread. I can sew for a very long time before having to replace my bobbin. At first glance the Bottom Line might seem on the expensive side, but when you see how long it lasts, you will realize it isn't expensive at all.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by wraez
Rabbit / Heidi .... have you tried Superior Threads Bottom Line thread for your bobbin? It is 60wt, very thin and lasts a very long time in your bobbin. It is great for piecing, applique, embroidery etc. I love it and use it almost exclusively.

Yes! I use it most of the time. I've got an HQ16 with an M-size bobbin, so it really does go for quite a while.

--Heidi

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32113973@N05/
Old 06-29-2010, 08:23 PM

I have a Brother Quattro that signals me when I'm close to the end of a bobbin. If you're worried about sewing a mile past the end of the bobbin, I've heard of people winding two bobbins and using one as the top thread so they know when they're getting close to running out of bobbin thread.