Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Husquavarna Sewing machines >

Husquavarna Sewing machines

Husquavarna Sewing machines

Old 06-30-2010, 07:13 AM

I have one. Its a 830. I love it to death. Tried sewing on the 310 and was lost.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:17 AM

My 830 is auto tension.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:15 AM

My Viking 870 gets "linty" fast, so I vacuum it frequently. The needle has to be thoroughly pushed up or thread shreds and breaks...even tho it threaded perfectly. Loooove the threader and cutter aps! I am also having difficulty FMQing. Does anyone else out there turn off the auto-fix ap (a sales rep told meto) or change the tension before FMQing? What stitch length do you use? Piece!
Old 06-30-2010, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by marniata
My Viking 870 gets "linty" fast, so I vacuum it frequently. The needle has to be thoroughly pushed up or thread shreds and breaks...even tho it threaded perfectly. Loooove the threader and cutter aps! I am also having difficulty FMQing. Does anyone else out there turn off the auto-fix ap (a sales rep told meto) or change the tension before FMQing? What stitch length do you use? Piece!
one of my quilt friends suggested leaving the feed dogs up when FMQ. goes against everything we learn but it actually helped me. i can still move my quilt as needed and the tension seems to hold better.
i don't mess much with the tension adjustment unless i'm using clear or heavy threads.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:35 AM

It "seams" antiintuitive...but, what the heck, I'll give anything a try once! Has anyone tried that slick new teflon sheet that covers the throat plate area? Costs about $25.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by marniata
It "seams" antiintuitive...but, what the heck, I'll give anything a try once! Has anyone tried that slick new teflon sheet that covers the throat plate area? Costs about $25.
Yes, I love it and don't quilt without it!

I've quilted with the feed dogs up, but the thread breaks.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:35 AM

Honchey: Thanks loads for your post. It has lots of great pointers in it.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:09 AM

This site is wonderful! You guys really uplifted me. I had been looking at the Vikings and others last year and my DH surprised me for Christmas and got me an 835. Sadly my mom became very ill right at this time and died on January 15, 2010. It has been a very trying and sad time. I put the box up right after that and just two weeks ago finally took it out of her box and found it a new home in my sewing room. He bought it at Joanns and I went yesterday for my class, and now I have all your wonderful messages to read. I was also beginning to wonder if the Sapphire was the right choice, with the Janome, Bernina (never could afford) and others. Thank you so much, I can't believe that this chat happened just when I really needed it. I haven't sewing a stitch since Christmas and now I feel that I can get there again. I will start with a baby quilt for a nephew's new baby boy. THANKS Ladies!!
Old 06-30-2010, 01:42 PM

I've sewed for over 40 years and 5 years ago took up quilting. My son decided to join me in learning how to quilt. So, I let him pick out the machine as I figured he would be using it. Well, to make a long story short, I made him trade in (Sapphire 850) in on a Designer SE LE. I absolutely hated the Sapphire as it did not let me know when the bobbin ran out or the scissors. I was used to both items from my Designer 1 which I traded up to from the 950 of Viking. I used a Futura 920 until I wore the machine out. By the way, we both love working on the Designer SE LE.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:46 PM
Banned

i have a new 835, i like it alot but the guilt of the price i spent on it eats me up. i wish I bought the 875 i hate not having a thread cutter. But i can survive.