Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Husquavarna Sewing machines >

Husquavarna Sewing machines

Husquavarna Sewing machines

Old 06-30-2010, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by marniata
My Viking 870 gets "linty" fast, so I vacuum it frequently. The needle has to be thoroughly pushed up or thread shreds and breaks...even tho it threaded perfectly. Loooove the threader and cutter aps! I am also having difficulty FMQing. Does anyone else out there turn off the auto-fix ap (a sales rep told meto) or change the tension before FMQing? What stitch length do you use? Piece!
I turn off the auto-fix when I am quilting and for most of my sewing, it seems to behave better. I also lower the top tension to 4.0.
I am also using the spring darning foot rather than the "r" foot, also the Machinager quilter's gloves and the "sew-slip" sheet on the bed of my machine. I am getting much better results.
For piecing quilt blocks I reduce the foot pressure a bit and I use a 2.5mm stitch length and the 1/4" foot.
Here's a picture of my 875 in the Horn quilt mate cabinet.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...45965719uwnqfO
Old 06-30-2010, 06:57 PM

I purchased a Sapphire 830 two years ago. It's still a bit intimidating, but I'm getting used to it. I do like it. I can see when the bobbin is low and I can wind the bobbin without using the same thread. I don't have to review the manual as much now. Like anything new, i miss my old machine simply because it's familiar. There is a web site for info and I was able to open it early on, but for some reason, i can't find it now. If you know the website that gives hints, etc., would you please post it? Thanks and Happy Husqvarna!
Old 06-30-2010, 07:05 PM

Sharon: I've used quilting needles and a top-stitching needle--same results, my thread shreds after sewing maybe 5-10 inches. Today I didn't put it in Free Motion mode but stitched circles (some small) and heart shapes with feed-dogs up and in regular quilt mode (C) and it sewed just fine. I was turning the quilt, pulling, straigtening it, etc. and the thread didn't do that. Now I'm really confused--you'd think it would do it all the time if something was stuck in the tension discs. Does what I wrote make sense? I just can't understand why it didn't happen when I made curvy sewing lines without FMQ mode.

Thanks again everyone--I think we're all learning more about our machines since Charleen started this thread.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by johnette
I have the 870 and I have never been able to get my needle threader to work. The manual says it only works with certain needle sizes. I don't know. Anybody else have this problem. Other than that I love it.

You need to make sure that your needle all the way up so you can see the take up lever for your needle threader to work. The little wire in the needle threader might also be bent.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:31 PM

I have a little trouble with winding the bobbin too. But tonight after sewing all day I looked at the bobbin that I just emptied. And there is a grove inside where the thread goes. And realized that you have to fill that grove up first befor it will wind right.
Silly huh?
Old 06-30-2010, 08:36 PM
Banned

didnt you guys get a class with your purchase? You would have learned how to fill your bobbin in a class.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:41 PM

My class didn't say much about the bobbin.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:38 PM

I love my Viking Sapphire. FMQ is getting better and better as I go along. The only problem I have had with mine is that the bobbin warning doesn't always come on. Its frustrating, and the bobbins have to be wound just right. Otherwise, it has been my dream come true
Old 07-01-2010, 02:49 AM

I have a Designer one and the needle threader only works for me if I use "top stitching needles." They have a bigger eye. Also, I never fill a bobbin with the machine threaded thru the needle and always slow the speed down when filling the bobbin. Husquvarna machines are known for filling sloppy bobbins. You have to do all you can to help them. My bobbin also dances around in the bobbin case when I sew and the noise drives me crazy. Haven't found a solution for that yet. Loosening the tension doesn't help.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:11 AM

Make sure your needle is all the way up before using the needle threader. If that doesn't work you may have bent the little thing that goes into the needle. This can be replaced when you take your machine in for a cleaning. Sharyn