Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hi from Upstate NY >

Hi from Upstate NY

Hi from Upstate NY

Old 07-01-2010, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingbea
Some news for you, Geri and all. Do you know about the local guilds we have in the area? There are 3 of them. If you want info, let me know.
Also, the Schenectady guild is having a quilt show at Proctors on October 2 and 3. It's a big show and will be posted on the Proctor's website. If anyone is in the area and interested, I can send info on it.
I'm so glad to hear about the Proctor's show -- have been to them before and was wondering when the next one was. I'll have to check Proctors website again, I didn't notice it last time I looked. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:00 AM

It's not on the website right now, but I'm sure it will be later on during the summer. If you want to come to the meetings, they are on the 1st thursday of the month, from Sep to June, at the First Unitarian Church on Wendell Ave. (7pm). There are over 100 people there usually. Very friendly group.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingbea
It's not on the website right now, but I'm sure it will be later on during the summer. If you want to come to the meetings, they are on the 1st thursday of the month, from Sep to June, at the First Unitarian Church on Wendell Ave. (7pm). There are over 100 people there usually. Very friendly group.
Thank you, I may do that -- what exactly do you do at the meetings?
Old 07-01-2010, 08:16 AM

Every meeting is different. Sometimes we have a speaker, sometimes a "sew-in" and we also have a Christmas party in Dec, and a potluck dinner in June. There is also "show and tell" at every meeting. People bring in what they have made and show the group. There are also smaller friendship groups that get together and do other stuff, usually at different times, if you want to.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:30 AM

Hi...I am relatively new as well. We are going to cooperstown the end of this month. Are you near there? Can you advise me on sights to see or, of course, quilt shops.

I am in Santa Clarita Ca.

Anyone else from so cal?
Susan
Old 07-01-2010, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by jkagrandma
Hi...I am relatively new as well. We are going to cooperstown the end of this month. Are you near there? Can you advise me on sights to see or, of course, quilt shops.

Anyone else from so cal?
Susan
There are 2 quilt stores that I know of. The Quiltbug and Fieldstone House of fabrics. There websites are www.quiltbug.com and www.fieldstonehousefabrics.com . They have directions on their sites. It looks like it isn't too far to drive. If you go to mapquest.com, you can get info on local stuff in the area. I don't live near there, so I can't tell you too much. But either mapquest.com or yahoo.com or google.com have info that you might want to look at.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ireland
Old 07-01-2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by jkagrandma

Anyone else from so cal?
Susan
Cooperstown is about at least an hour drive or a little more from here but it is a really nice little town. You must visit the Baseball Hall of Fame and the Farmer's Museum. They also have an opera house in Cooperstown that a lot of people go there for -- I've never been. As far as quilt shops in Cooperstown, I don't know, but I have been to the Quiltbug in Esperance and it's very small and run by very nice, friendly people. I think you would like it there. I also went to a quilt show there at the library in Cooperstown-- very small but very nice -- I haven't heard if it's going on again or when.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:43 AM

Thankyou for the info. We are going to Cooperstown cause my grandson is playing a tournament at the BB Hall of fame.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:07 AM

Hi all,
I am from East Greenbush, so I am almost a neighbor too. I have been wanting to join a guild, but I think I will look in Castleton or Albany..Schnectady is a bit too far to travel in the winter, although I do plan on attending the show at Proctors. It's great to see local people online. I have been lurking for months, but had to post when I saw Rotterdam.