Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Feeling guilty about my new "baby" >

Feeling guilty about my new "baby"

Feeling guilty about my new "baby"

Old 06-30-2010, 07:08 PM
Power Poster

Enjoy your new machine, saving money is great but, just remember - You can't take it with you when you go. Leave it to someone else and believe me they will buy something they want. As long as you didn't wipe out all of your savings, all should be okay.
Enjoy.
Old 06-30-2010, 07:59 PM

Play with your new toy and love it! The joy you get from your hobby will be shared by you family and all those fortunate to get gifts from you that you have made yourself.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:50 PM

Just simply enjoy and don't look back. Ignore the voices, they will quickly go away. I find that my sewing time makes DH happy as well because he knows how much I enjoy it. And like others have said, many will benefit from your enjoyment.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:01 PM

I bought a Brother at WalMart. I needed something lite weight to take to classes. I sounds and sews like a thrashing machine. I used it once - no more.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by sunnycat
Yesterday, I purchased a babylock Crafter's Choice sewing machine. I got a fantastic deal on it from a great dealer who threw in a free walking foot. I should be ripping it out of the packaging to play with it, but I was up all night worrying about how selfish it was of me to spend $500 on myself. My husband and I do very well for ourselves, financially, but we're very frugal. This is by far the most either of us has ever spent on a hobby. I toyed with getting a lower priced model from Walmart (one of the Brothers), and I kind of feel guilty going for the more expensive model. It's not like anyone but me is going to get enjoyment out of the sewing machine. Does anyone else feel this way ever? Or should I just shut out the voices in my head and get to playing with my new toy?
I can understand how you feel but my attitude about a lot of things chgd. after we had so many deaths in the family in a very short time.
I went right out & bought my Viking machine that does a lot of things my Singers never did. I felt I could die next wk. so why did I do without anything. I've calmed down a bit but am happy I have my nice mach.
Just enjoy your new machine & don't waste energy feeling guilty.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:22 AM
Banned

Please enjoy your new machine, your not hurting for money and it is not putting you in the whole. so pull it out and you and hubby look at it together. This is something that will benifit all. with gifts and things. Have fun and God bless. Penny
Old 07-02-2010, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by sunnycat
Yesterday, I purchased a babylock Crafter's Choice sewing machine. I got a fantastic deal on it from a great dealer who threw in a free walking foot. I should be ripping it out of the packaging to play with it, but I was up all night worrying about how selfish it was of me to spend $500 on myself. My husband and I do very well for ourselves, financially, but we're very frugal. This is by far the most either of us has ever spent on a hobby. I toyed with getting a lower priced model from Walmart (one of the Brothers), and I kind of feel guilty going for the more expensive model. It's not like anyone but me is going to get enjoyment out of the sewing machine. Does anyone else feel this way ever? Or should I just shut out the voices in my head and get to playing with my new toy?
Don't feel guilty! And don't buy from Walmart. They are cheap ones and do not last for the every day sewer. You made a good investment so rip that box open, give her a name and have fun!!!That's an order! LOL....we want pictures!
Old 07-02-2010, 06:35 AM

Use it ... it will be worth every penny once you start using it. If the sticker shock is still too much look at some of the prices on the web... it will make you feel better for the great deal that you got.

My mom felt that way when she bought her Gammill we had to break it down to if you do so many quilts on it. It pays for itself.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:34 AM

Shut out the voices and enjoy. The things you make can make others happy.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:36 AM

A quality machine is the only way to go. Rejoice at the good deal and USE that new machine!