Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
I dreamed of my mother last night. >

I dreamed of my mother last night.

I dreamed of my mother last night.

Old 07-02-2010, 03:31 PM

my mom died during a terrible blizzard. We were called to the hospital and I picked up my older sister and we drove the 30 miles in the snow. I never took my hands off the wheel and followed a mail truck all the way. We got there in time and had some words with her and she fell asleep and was gone. The roads were trecherous and we debated whether to stay or try to get home. I heard my sister say ok baba(our grandmother) then turned to me and said we'd be ok they will go before us so we'd get home safe to our kids and husbands. We did get home and were snowed in for 5 days having to put off the funeral and wake. We spoke about baba and mama and my daughter said she drempt of us driving home and the snow melting in front of us. and gramma told her she would see us later. she was 8.
My 34yo neice died unexpectadly 4 years ago. She always said that if we find pennies or dimes that means she is watching us and loving us. Never a week goes by that I don't find pennies or dimes. and it makes me feel hugged.
My dad was also selfish and had many other women in his life. my mother remained with him. I feel a lot better knowing if he makes it to heaven at least my neice is there to protect her from his shenanigans. He is 93 and still going strong. all but one of my sisters has forgiven him but as my mom used to say forgive by never forget.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:32 PM

My mom passed away 10 years ago. I had told my friends that I just wished she and I could have one more day to shop and visit like we had always done years ago. Shortly after that I had a dream that she was in bed and not well but she got up, dressed and we spent the day together shopping and talking - having a wonderful time. At the end of the dream, I helped her back into bed and I knew she was gone. But it was the most wonderful thing to have my wish come true. I cry when I think about it to this day.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:38 PM

I know the feeling. Several months ago I dreamed of my mother who died a slow death, suffering from mini strokes. She was unable to talk, could barely swallow and could do nothing but sit, tied in a chair for the last three years of her life. However I could look into her eyes and know her mind was in tact and knew everyhthing that was happening to her. For nearly 25 years this was the way I was remembering her until.... I dreamed we were having a summer family gathering. Mom and Dad came and I helped her out of the car - she could barely walk, all bent and gray. I got her seated a table and sat down opposite her. During the conversation whirling around us, I glanced back at her across the table and she was young and beautiful, and I felt a profound peace and calmness about her. She looked at me with those same eyes only now there was no pain - only calm peace. This dream has been such a gift to me. In a sense it gave my mother back to me - the mother I grew up with. I feel now she is truly in a beautiful place and at peace. I don't have the depressing thoughts of her any more, just that inner AND outer beauty I saw in the dream. God works in mysterious ways!
Old 07-02-2010, 03:39 PM

Hi My name is Liz and I haven't had a dream but my son passed away about 6 months ago at age 40 leaving a beautiful wife and 2 young children. He was my rock,always there when I needed him. I went to see a lady and I swear my son was there she told me things that only he would have known. The first quilt I made was a memory quilt. I made it for my daughter-in-law. I gave it to her the day we buried my son and everyone that saw it cried. that was my first quilt. I am now making quilts for each of his children and of course one for myself. It was very hard looking for pictures for the quilts but I have found it to be very theraputic while making them. when I get pictures of them I will post them. thanks for listening.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by great aunt jacqui
...My 34yo neice died unexpectadly 4 years ago. She always said that if we find pennies or dimes that means she is watching us and loving us. Never a week goes by that I don't find pennies or dimes. and it makes me feel hugged....
I find pennies all the time! All my life I've been finding pennies. Could it be my mother putting them there? Something to wonder about....
Old 07-02-2010, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by gawney
Hi My name is Liz and I haven't had a dream but my son passed away about 6 months ago at age 40 leaving a beautiful wife and 2 young children. He was my rock,always there when I needed him. ....
I am so sorry for your terrible loss. Those quilts will be cherished by your grandchildren. Please post photos when you can. I'd love to see them. Please take care of yourself also. (((HUGS)))
Old 07-02-2010, 03:58 PM

Thank you for your kindness sometimes it is nice to be able to tell people what a wonderful man he was. Tomorrow is my husbands birthday and my daughter-in-law and my grandchildren are coming to surprise him for his birthday. She is a wonderful daughter-in-law.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:05 PM

This brought tears to my eyes as I lost my mother in February 2009 at the age of almost 88, as a result of a nurse's error in a nursing home. I miss her so much, but I know I will see her again in Heaven. I have so many memories to cherish of Mama. She quilted some of the most beautiful quilts which I still have.

My dad died when Mama was 52 and she had never worked outside of the home. Dad had only worked a public job for about 4 years and farmed the rest of his life, so they lived a simple life, without a lot of money. Mama had to start making some money somehow as she was not old enough to draw Social Security from Dad's account. She had a neighbor plow her an acre of land and she singled handedly tilled it, planted okra and sold okra for 10 years to be able to survive until she could apply for Social Security. Cas Walker Supermarkets (Knoxville, TN) agreed to buy all the okra Mama raised for his supermarkets in Knoxville. Mama didn't have a truck so she hauled the okra off in her big Ford Galaxie car. Stacked in the trunk, back seat and the front passenger seat. She was an amazing lady and I can't wait to see her again.

Everyone,treasure every moment you have with your mother if she is still living.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:10 PM

That is so true make sure to tell the people you care about that you love them because you never know when you will get that dreaded phone call. We live to hours away from my daughter-in-law but she is making sure that she and the children are here tomorrow for their papa's birthday.Imiss my son sooooo much.Thank God for his wonderful wife.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:33 PM

This is a little comical story, but I just have to share. When I was working, I was a social worker in private practice, and I specialized in grief and loss. One of my clients lost her mother and told me a story about her brother visiting Mom's grave. (I'm changing the story a little bit to protect her privacy, but you'll get the idea.) While he was visiting the grave, a robin came and sat on the headstone the entire time he was there. Very close, and seemingly unafraid. He felt as if it was their mother sitting there--enough that she felt compelled to share the story with me.

There had been some robins nesting outside my office window for several weeks, and they would come to the window and peck on it--pecking at their own reflections I think. It was very distracting when they started doing it, and it was hard for my clients to concentrate. So as she was telling this story, I said silently to myself, "Puh-leeeeaze don't start pecking on the window just now." Fortunately, they didn't. I think it would have freaked her out!!!