Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fiskars Cutting Boards >

Fiskars Cutting Boards

Fiskars Cutting Boards

Old 07-03-2010, 10:14 PM

(*First post: Hi everyone!)

I contacted Fiskars when I bought a cutting mat because I didn't see the label until I was home and was concerned about it. I also thought to return it but decided to contact Fiskars first for more information since I'd have to travel out of town to return it. I received the following reply:

"Thank you for contacting Fiskars. Actually, Fiskars products pose no health risk at all. The label that you see was only a precautionary statement that we put on our products while we did some product testing in response to California Proposition 65. We have since completed our testing and we know for sure that our products are safe don't contain any materials listed on the Prop 65 list. So, actually, the warning is unnecessary and has been removed from our packaging since October 2007. It sometimes takes awhile for inventory to cycle through warehouses and distributors.

Our products do not and never have posed any health risk at all. For more information, please visit the following links
* CA Proposition 65 Website: http://www.oehha.ca.gov/prop65.html

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance. Thank you for contacting Fiskars "

I kept the mat and it has been working very well for me and I love the colors (green and yellow). Hope this helps!
Old 07-04-2010, 02:48 AM
Gal

I think maybe it is refering to if you ingest it, as with asbestos.
Was it Queen Victoria who said after she had ridden on a steam train going 30 miles per hour, that traveling at that speed "was not good for the health" !!

Gal
Old 07-05-2010, 02:44 PM

From what I know, California tends to have higher consumer protection standards than many other states.
Old 07-05-2010, 03:42 PM

Have you ever seen the warning labels on the Christmas lights? Do not handle without gloves. Wash hands thoroughly after handling. Blah blah blah. Can't even put up Christmas lights or cut fabric without being scared???? Yikes!
Old 07-05-2010, 03:46 PM
np3
Power Poster

Hello from California! We have warnings for anything and everything. Someone sues over something silly and we get new label warnings. Enjoy your mat.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:02 PM

This reminds me of when I was planning my daughter's birthday party last year. We were doing Dora the Explorer at the beach theme. I was placing the order from Oriental Trading. I picked some beachballs and when I clicked on them, I got a message that told me they were not available. I tried it on several beachballs, none were avaiable. I finally called them and askd them why. The guy asked me where I lived and told him CA. He then told me that the balls were not available in CA. because of the plastic and chemical percent.
Old 07-05-2010, 04:11 PM

I think it has something to do with the fumes, but if you use it in a well ventilated room everything should be fine. If it bothers you call or e-mail the company and find out specifics.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:24 PM

Talk about silly packaging. I bought a doll bed for my granddaughter. On the outside of the box it showed a little girl playing with her doll. The package said.....warning child not included with doll bed. I couldn't believe it. I had to show it to someone else so they wouldn't think I was dreaming. I do know that the mats can have a pretty bad smell when you first get them. I always leave mine outside in the garage for a day or two and that seems to help.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:45 PM

According to something I heard on TV this weekend broccoli and brussel sprouts kill cancer so eat those and not the cutting board. Ha!
Old 07-05-2010, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by martha jo
According to something I heard on TV this weekend broccoli and brussel sprouts kill cancer so eat those and not the cutting board. Ha!
That sounds like a good solution, I'll take that advice.