Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Brace yourself--you're in for a SHOCKer >

Brace yourself--you're in for a SHOCKer

Brace yourself--you're in for a SHOCKer

Old 07-03-2010, 06:16 AM

Oh, my...I generally pay about $10 now. My daughters both sewed while in 4H. I happened to overhear a comment from another mother something to the effect that 'only poor farm kids do 4H and sew'. I really came up for air on that one and let her have it by telling her exactly how expensive it really was for my daughters to have the 4H experience! Fabric is expensive. Patterns are expensive. Trims are expensive. When my DD made a beautiful wool coat for her final year in 4H sewing project, we had much more money in the coat (excluding her time) than what she could have bought a comparable coat in a dept store.

With 2 in college right now, I do watch my spending very carefully...I find I just don't buy on a whim, I have to have a specific project in mind. And, like many of you, I am trying to finish things before I start something new. I imagine these higher prices will just make us all be more smart with our purchases.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:23 AM

Makes you kind of wonder if the fabric makers want us to give up quilting. I also see a lot of LQS going out of business with price hikes like that! Too bad as small businesses are the backbone of this country!
Old 07-04-2010, 03:39 AM

Down at the Community Action Building, they have alot of free stuff. Old clothes. I'm going down there and see what they have. I'm not buying anymore fabs unless they are on sale. I need a computer worse, lol.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:52 AM

Not sure where you live, but our LQS prices are $9.75 - $10.50/yd already. Southeastern Wisconsin.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:01 AM

I quess the old saying is true "back to basics". We will find a way to keep on quilting.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:12 AM

went to Lancaster PA for a mini-vaca. There was a lady in one shop saying she is from UK where fabric is $27/metre. Considering a metre is only 3" more than a yard, that's pretty darn expensive.

I found the fabrics were $5.99 to $6.49 a yard. I had a set a budget before I left, so I only purchased what I was looking for specifically. OK- so I found a few to make a throw for my dd and her hubby, but I was very well behaved.

Can't wait to go back again- so many things we didn't get to see.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:27 AM

I am so fortunate to live next door to my LQS. We are rutal and she stocks a lot of Mill Ends and from fabric stores going out of business. She also has name brand fabs but I can usually find what I want if needed. Of corse mostly I shop my stash and just have to buy occassionally. lol I saw the hand writing on the wall and bought fab before I retired .
Old 07-04-2010, 04:47 AM

I agree but now that Joann's has higher quality fabric available, I've started buying those fabrics and use my coupons. I can't buy several colors every trip but as soon as I get more coupons, I'll go get another coordinating fabric (hopefully they still have it). I've learned that quality fabric is much better to work with. Don't want you to quit.

Originally Posted by sewcrazygirl
14 a yard?? OMG i may quit sewing if that happens!
Old 07-04-2010, 05:30 AM
Lyn

Originally Posted by hdqltr
Not sure where you live, but our LQS prices are $9.75 - $10.50/yd already. Southeastern Wisconsin.
Same in NH
Old 07-04-2010, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by jolo
I am so fortunate to live next door to my LQS.
That would not be fortunate for me, lol! I have very little willpower.

What I do have, though, is a nice stash. Not overwhelming, but large enough that I can make several scrap quilts, which I love. It's the result of that lack of willpower - when on shop hops, I bought lots of things I didn't really hae a plan for but loved. Now there's enough that I can put them together and have great scrap quilts.

Also, I am lucky to have a lot of shops locally, including a couple of Mennonite stores that sell at great prices (under $6/yd for lqs fabric).