Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thrift store find! >

Thrift store find!

Thrift store find!

Old 07-04-2010, 05:28 PM

I'm certain that the flour sacks you are getting now are not the same as the ones we are reminiscing about. The vintage ones are a loosely woven almost scratchy fabric. They are definitely not what I would call "good quality". However they are precious just for what they are, mostly as a collectors item. i am tempted often to dig into my extensive vintage stash and make a quilt, but I just haven't yet. It would probably be a dresden plate, or similar.

I have considered putting a fusible backing to make the feedsacks more sturdy or to put them onto a muslin foundation. Has anyone tried that yet?? Feedback?

Originally Posted by Halo
I get my flour in fabric sacks from a store called Win-Co. It is about 80 miles from me, but I go a few times a year & stalk up on things. I usually get two 50lb bags & put one in the freezer to keep it fresh till needed. I chose to get different fabric patterns with each bag I get. It is a good quality fabric.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:31 PM

My grandmother used her white flour sacks to make sheets, course weave, seams. Now I can't stand less than 300 count sheets. She used the pretty flowered ones to make me sun suits. They fit in June,by August and time to go home she had added length,usually not matching. With her cooking there were strips up the sides .Mama got a chubbier but really happy kid at the end of the summer. :lol:
Old 07-04-2010, 05:32 PM

Yes, our mentality is weird at times, save our favorite fabrics because we cannot bear to cut into them!! That's like when I got married my husband asked me what I was saving the new 'good' sheets for, my next husband? That got me to thinking! Now I use the good dishes, the good silverware and my favorite fabrics!

(Still haven't cut into the feedsacks, though!) I guess I'm saving them for my friends to divide amongst themselves after I'm gone!

Originally Posted by GailG
Originally Posted by Cathie_R
Originally Posted by Gal
Thanks Cathie, I thought it was flour or something like that, how lovely, I bet they are well prized nowadays! Very pretty prints!

Gal
I have a large collection of them. Can't decide if I want to use them in a quilt or keep them whole. They are probably worth more kept original.
This mentality of a quilter really tickles me. "They are probably worth more kept original." so what? The one who dies with the most feedsacks wins??? I say, make a quilt with them.

:lol: :lol:

My mom used to use the sacks to make little short and shirt play sets for my sister and I. I remember them being a little "scratchy" for a while.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:01 PM

I have been wanting someone too make me a dress like they wear in the civil war re enactments and when they ask me what kind of material did I have in mind and I said I DON"T KNOW, flour, feed sack type and they all just laugh at me. They tell me that won't happen cause there ain't none of them sacks no more. I will have too tell these ladies they don't know what they talking about cause some of you here have them. I might get lucky too! I always happy when someone finds a good find.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:06 PM

what a awesome find. have fun... Jan
Old 07-04-2010, 06:17 PM

Lucky you.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:30 PM

wow what a bargain we never have any finds like there around here!!!!
Old 07-04-2010, 08:02 PM

great find :thumbup: I dig in boxes I run across at flea mkts. & yard sales. You never know what's in the bottom. I'm always looking for "treasures"
Old 07-04-2010, 08:21 PM

Wowee. Both of you have great finds.

Thanks for all the memories. What a hoot.

Someone told me once their mom took a sugar sack and made their undergarment with it. Right across the fanny was the word SUGAR! :roll: Her mom told her to be sure the boys didn't see it! OMgosh! Too funny. And the girls nowadays think they are clever with the words they have on their fannies.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:31 PM

That is a beautiful find of feed sacks. They look as tho they have been laundered so I doubt the holes will come out. The bags were lock stitched closed then one pull of the thread and all the stitching would come out. Good job on your find, they are worth more whole if you want to sell them on ebay