Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Changing Sewing Machine Needles >

Changing Sewing Machine Needles

Changing Sewing Machine Needles

Old 07-06-2010, 04:33 AM

me too.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:57 AM

Any time I notice there being a problem with my stitching the first thing I check is the needle, and usually it turns out to be a little bit bent or to have a burr on it.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by ReRe
Can anyone out there help me understand the WHY of why we should change our sewing machine needles so often? I have enough to change mine once a week for the next 6 months and have some more on the way that a friend is gifting me with. I am just curious as to the WHY of what we do. Anyone?

ReRe
I use an old panty hose to sew through and if the needle doesn't snag the hose then I figure my needle it all right for a little longer.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:17 AM

ReRe[/quote]

I use an old panty hose to sew through and if the needle doesn't snag the hose then I figure my needle it all right for a little longer.[/quote]

What a great idea!!!
Old 07-06-2010, 07:00 AM

I have been sewing for many, many years and put miles and miles of sewing on my machines. You can feel of the needles and use your finger nails to feel for burrs. If so either throw it away or file it if possible. I usually just threw them away as I had already gotten my moneys worth. Also learn to feel the tip. Use a new needle and compare it to the used one. You will soon be doing this as a regular check just like taking care of your machine. Hope this helps. I still have a lot of needles, but am too chinzy to waste them.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:13 AM

Sewing, going through fabric, dulls the needles' point and will eventually start pulling the threads of your fabric instead of piercing through them or going inbetween the threads. It's not a thought the manufactures thought up. I will change mine maybe every 2-3 weeks depending how much sewing I do. If I have made a large quilt, say a queen, I will change it when I finish the quilt. I definately change it if the sound of the needle going through the fabric changes sounds, kind of a thump,thump. Also if I hit pins, that really dulls and can cause burs on the needle as well as damage your fabric. Hopes this helps.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:54 AM

I've heard you can sew through fine sandpaper to sharpen needles. I haven't tried it though.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:50 AM

I read a couple of responses that referred to changing tires, so somehow I've got to compare changing needles to old tires
When I was dating (many many years ago) Dad always checked the tires on the vehicle the guy was driving, I guess he thought if they had good tread, their priorities were in the right order.
I never discussed needles with him, but I do know that since I've been married, whenever we borrowed anything from him we had to fix it first
If I had to guess when I change needles, I guess it's when I hear the popping
Old 07-06-2010, 12:15 PM
Power Poster

I switched to the titanium needles and one will last through many quilts. I save more money then they cost! I will not drive or ride in any car with worn tires. That's a death wish. Tires are like needles, buy the best and they last long enough to pay for themselves.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:36 PM

A dull needle is not good change often. Bearding can occur for one. It is when there are white dots appearing on the fabric caused by the batting coming thru from a dull needle. Someone mentioned popping noises from punching thru material breaking the threads from a dull needle. also skipped stitches come from a dull or bad needle due to the scarf on the back side out of shape so as not to pick up the thread from the hook properly. A new sharp needle is a small thing but very important. I have only been quilting for a short time. My mother was a seemstress for years and her advise to me "change your needle often" :)