Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Buy-Maybe >

Fabric Buy-Maybe

Fabric Buy-Maybe

Old 07-06-2010, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lori L
Wow, wow, wow.....I'd feel like a kid in a candy store, like someone receiving a brand new car.....like, like, like...I don't know but I think I would jump at the chance. But....I agree with Sharon B......I don't have to live with your husband. Kind of hard to hide that kind of a stash or the deduction from savings. LOL
Had to LOL at this one....of course we don't have to live with your hubby and yes, it "would" really be hard to hide all this stash....but come on quilting friends, would this not be fun to have. I would also be like a kid in a candy store making the "tough" decision
Old 07-06-2010, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by PattyS
I have a chance to buy out a lady who once owned a shop and closed it about 7 years ago. She moved the fabric to her house. She has 200 bolts (7-14 yds on them) and 200 pieces of cut fabric. Brands are Kaufman, South Seas, Benartex, etc. She is asking $2000 for all but think I can make an offer. Only drawback is hubby who doesn't think I need anymore fabric. Any advice will be appreciated.
My hubby doesn't think I need more fabric either, but then I just saw a new camera and a special case for his cigars in the truck. Funny how if we aren't the one using it "it" isn't really needed. And all of my "stuff" cost way less than the motorcycle in the garage. He really is supportive of what I do but sometimes forgets how much he spends.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:46 PM

How many quilts would you have to make and sell, and how quickly, to pay off the $2000? Make a plan and present it in a business-like way to DH and see if he bites. What an opportunity!
Old 07-06-2010, 05:18 PM

A friend did this a few years ago and had an "estate sale." A number of us volunteered to help her, and she more than made back her money. Do realize how much room this much fabric requires!
Old 07-06-2010, 05:25 PM

My comment is about the fabric. I would think that it is in great condition. People used to talk about fabric dry rotting. It would have to be reaaaallllllllllllllly old for that to happen. Shoot, I have a few pieces of clothing in my closet older than that! Most of us have some stash that old or older, too.

I wouldn't have a place to store that much, but I could dream.

:D
Old 07-06-2010, 05:36 PM

After looking at your avatar I was going to ask if it would fit on the bike.
Yes, it is a good price, but would you be happy not buying any fabric for a year or more? Would you be happy living off just stash no matter how tempting the latest item you saw? Would you be able to sell it, remember other folks don't want just the crap, but the good stuff, too. If you decided to sell it, would you be willing to take the time, taking pictures, posting, keeping track of sales, mailing? I used to sell on eBay and the money was good (back then) but it was a bit of a hassle, but I work outside the home, maybe if I was retired it would be easier if that was my only job.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:35 PM

It was those questions I asked myself about buying the fabric. At first it was like Christmas and then I thought of all the work that would go with selling the fabric I didn't want and after a few nights sleep decided I didn't want to cut into my sewing and quilting time. So I bought a few yards of the fabric I liked and I am happy. I hope someone will buy the complete inventory if not I will pass the word around here. Thanks for your message.
Patty
Old 07-06-2010, 08:46 PM

I agree to talk it over with your husband. If he says absolutely no, then don't do it. It isn't worth problems down the road.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:06 PM

I'll buy some red gingham fabric from you if it is in the stash she is selling!
Old 07-06-2010, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by jeanneb52
Kill him and use the insurance money to buy!!!! LOL
to bad mine doesn't have life-insurance