Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Coping as a left-hander >

Coping as a left-hander

Coping as a left-hander

Old 07-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Power Poster

I use my rotary cutter both ways. Actually never really thought about it. I have been able to adapt to the right handed stuff fairly easy. My Aunt Ethel called me ambidexterous.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:53 PM

There are some good videos on YouTube by Missouri Quilt Company, and the woman who does them is left-handed, so she has to explain how to cut right-handed, too. This might be helpful to you, to actually see how she uses the rulers.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Joanie2
Originally Posted by Leftie
I am fairly new to patchwork and quilting but very keen to learn. I have my cutting board and rotary cutter but am having difficulties getting to grips with it as a left hander - as usual, everything is produced for right handed people. Any hints please to help me use my new equipment? Many thanks.
I, too, am a lefty and have had to learn to adapt. I hold the rotary cutter in my left hand and the ruler with my right. When I want to make my first clean cut, my fabric lays on my cutting board with the bulk of the fabric towards the right and I square up my fabric. Then to begin cutting strips I have to turn the fabric the opposite direction (the bulk facing left) and use my ruler as a cutting guide not the mat. That may not be the correct way but it's easiest for me. I also need to be sure that at least 3 fingers and my palm are holding my ruler straight. It will take time to find the best way for you but you'll get the hang of it. Don't get frustrated. It's practice that will help you as you continue. The other issue I have is when I have layed out my blocks to get ready to cut. If I don't label them I have a tendency to sew the blocks on the opposite side. Hang in there.
I do the same thing. I'm a leftie too.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:48 PM

I am left handed, there are several cutters out there that can be used either hand. I also use my ruler to measure the strips - I keep the strip I'm cutting under my ruler too, so that it does not move when I am cutting it.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:12 PM

I am also left handed but I adapt well and have learned to cut right handed. I guess I never thought about it before.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:36 PM

I'm a lefty also. Seems there are a lot of us here. Like many of you, out of necessity, I have pretty much learned to use either hand for most everything except writing. When I was young, it was rare to get scissors, etc made for lefties so I HAD to learn to use what was available.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:43 PM

When I was around 12 years old and started sewing lots of clothes, my grandma proudly presented me with left-handed scissors. What a sweetie. I never told her that I cut right-handed!
Old 07-06-2010, 07:09 PM

Wow, there's a lot of us lefties out here. I just switch the blade and cut with the bulk of the fabric to the right as someone else suggested. I have a hard time cutting accurately for some reason, so I bought the GO! cutter and it helps alot. I've used mine mostly for cutting strips. Left-handedness doesn't matter with the GO.
Old 07-06-2010, 07:29 PM

I'm a lefty too -- use the rotary cutter with my left hand (but use scissors with my right -- go figure -- all those years in elementary school either grabbing a pair of "righty" scissors" or one of the very few "weird" ones with the green handles meant for lefties, lol).

Anyway, I just do what feels natural in regard to placing/cutting my fabric, etc. It's been easier if I don't try to do it "leftie" or "rightie," but just "comfy."

:-)
Old 07-06-2010, 09:48 PM

I'm a new quilter and left-handed sewer, but right-handed cutter. The rotary cutter doesn't like me, either. Fabric slips or ruler slips....makes me sooo mad. It's like successful cutters have a secret club that I'm not a member of! (It's a conspiracy, I tell you!) lol