Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
?giving your top to professional quilter?? >

?giving your top to professional quilter??

?giving your top to professional quilter??

Old 07-06-2010, 03:38 PM

I'm a professional longarmer. I don't take quilts from people who say "Do whatever you want."

I call myself a collaborative quilter. The quiltmaker meets with me and either tells me what she wants, or I help her to find what she wants done to finish her quilt.

I offer different quilting options and we look at how each will look. We discuss how her quilt will be used, how much quilting she wants on it, how dense it should be. I draw the patterns on clear vinyl and we lay this over the quilt so she can see what it will look like when the design is quilted.

I offer 108 colors of thread, 60 different pantograph patterns, and hundreds of freehand and custom options. I want my client to design the quilting and work with me to make sure she will be happy with the finished product.

It needs to please her, not me! My goal is not to finish a quilt that I think is beautiful. It's to finish a quilt that the quiltmaker will think is beautiful.

She is the quilt's mother. I am the nanny for a short time.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:31 PM

I have no problem sending my quilts to a long-quilter, I put a lot of work into my quilts and want the quilting to add to the work I have done. I also have no problem putting the name of the quilter on my labels, as well as adding my DH's name on as the funded by---It is still MY quilt.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:48 PM

I love my long arm quilter.. She does a great job on the quilts I send to her. Having her help do something I can't doesn't take away from the work or the love I've put into a project, it enhances it!

I have done the binding on some of her quilts because she doesn't have time nor does she like doing that part.. I do and do a better job than she would do.. That has never made it part "my quilt".

I feel the same about that as I do about making a wonderful fresh salad.. I don't grow the veggies.. nor do I harvest them.. I just go to the store and buy the ones I want.. prepare them and serve them.. I accept the compliments, it's my salad... I don't feel the least bit bad about not sharing the reconignition with the grower/harvester/packer/truck driver/ or the store.

Neither view is the right or wrong way.. It's just how each of us feels about our precious quilts!
Old 07-06-2010, 07:40 PM

I send all of mine to a longarm quilter to finish. She is so good I just tell her to do what she thinks will look good. I've never been disappointed. When I get it together, bordered and backing done I am done until it comes back for me to bind. To me the joy is in picking a pattern, color of fabric and seeing it all come together.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:44 AM

I too as a longarm quilter agonize over what to do on someone quilt I want them to be happy with the finished quilt because it is truly their work of art not mine. The quilting just enhances their work.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:44 AM
Banned

I want to learn the whole process, I love everything about quilting. God bless. Penny
Old 07-07-2010, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by granny_59
I am having a big setback in my love to quilting!?
After x-hours (whom am I telling) I got a lovely top with (almost) all points matching and than all I am able to is SID and lousy meandering.........

Why dont I have a problem to make the applique with my marvelous embroidery machine - much better than I ever could do by hand - and at the same time hate the idea to give my top to a professional quilter?

Could it be that the worst would be to add her name on my label??? I dont want to share the credit!
Most of the receivers dont have an idea anyway what kind of work went into that quilt and might end up thinking that I just donated the fabric.

How do you feel about it? If I come up with the idea of a long arm quilting machine my DH might file for divorce :lol:

Granny
I used to send my quilts out to a long arm quilter, but then money got tighter. I bought a long arm machine and frame. I started. Lousy meandering can be quite beautiful ;and is a good way to start . I am now working on a beautiful Baltimore album and as in the "old days" I am marking the whole top with feathers etc. I hope in the future to be able to do feathers without marking. If you meander, chose a backing which won't show the stitching and use a matching thread on the bottom. use meandering to focus on your beautiful quilt top. It does work. I do charity work and always practise what I want to learn on them.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:01 AM

Unless you're putting it in a show, why put the quilters name on it at all?
We do longarm quilting & the ladies whose quilts we do are usually just making quilts for family members or whoever. They don't put our names on their labels!
Old 07-07-2010, 09:39 AM

Remember all those quilts that we made for utility quilts in years past that we now pay big money for as antiques. Those makers didn't think they would survive either. It is only right to give the person who did the quilting credit, even if the quilt is for personal use or the family.

Susan
Old 07-07-2010, 10:10 AM

I feel the same about that as I do about making a wonderful fresh salad.. I don't grow the veggies.. nor do I harvest them.. I just go to the store and buy the ones I want.. prepare them and serve them.. I accept the compliments, it's my salad... I don't feel the least bit bad about not sharing the reconignition with the grower/harvester/packer/truck driver/ or the store.

Neither view is the right or wrong way.. It's just how each of us feels about our precious quilts![/quote]

First I thought : what a great point your making! But then: I do not mention the manufacturor of the fabric either :lol:
And if DH would have made the dressing to your salad within a fraction of the time it took you to wash and prepare the veggies, would you mention it if your guests praise the salad?

This is not too serious and as you say: neither way is wright or wrong

Granny