Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you sew on??? >

What do you sew on???

What do you sew on???

Old 07-08-2010, 05:51 AM

I have an old Formica countertop up on adjustable sawhorses at cutting height. I bought a used office chair, the kind they have sometimes at reception desks. It adjusts extra high. I have my foot control up on a footstool. It's not pretty, but works for me with space constraints. Good luck and congrats on the new machine!
Old 07-08-2010, 06:39 AM

I have a corner sewing table that I have my machine on. I have windows on both sides. It is wonderful.

My cutting table is an antique dining table that my husband and I bought, actually it was our first piece of furniture. My husband got me a piece of plexiglass to put over it to protect it and I got some wooden bed risers to raise it up so it wouldn't hurt my back. It is the perfect, and sentimental, cutting table.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:54 AM

I have a Bernina QE and purchased a Robert's Model 299 sewing table that can drop the machine down for a flat sewing surface. It is sturdy and folds down so you can store it under the bed if some dreaded relative decides they want to honor you with their presence. I don't remember if I had to pay extra for the custom cut insert that fits around the machine or not. My some-timers just kicked in.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:56 AM

I have a Brother XR9000 that sits on a folding card table in my son's old bedroom. My kitchen counter/breakfast bar is my cutting table...hahaha. I do have dreams of emptying my son's room (he still wants to sleep in there when he & his dog visit.) and getting a long arm or mid arm sewing machine and a cutting table. Oh, and a full size ironing board at the ready. Now I have a small table top ironing board that sits on the back of the card table. If the fabric is really large I'll put up the full size ironing board in the family room. A girl can dream!!!!
Old 07-08-2010, 07:10 AM

If you really want to go "on the cheap" go to the Lowe's or Home Depot, select a sheet of plywood with one smooth side, have it cut to width on their panel saw. Then sashay over to the building gadgets area and purchase a set of the new-fangled plastic sawhorses. These adjust up and down, and might be tall enough to keep your backache to a low roar. Just sand the edges of the plywood, give it a couple coats of paint, and you couldn't get much cheaper than that.
Happy quilting!
Old 07-08-2010, 07:15 AM

I have Tracy tables custom made for sewing machine, a table for serger and a cutting table for my desired height. Would buy from them again.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:27 AM

hibiscus:I think the plywood idea is the way we're going to go. For $25 for plywood and some wooden legs @ $2.79 each that should be good for my checkbook and me :) We're going to make an L-shaped area. One side will be 6' and the other will be 8'. If we have the plywood cut in half it should be perfect. I'll have lots of room underneath for my plastic storage carts and we can relocate my cutting table, which is 36wx54lx36h, to the "nook" that is 7' long. I wasn't sure what to do with the top of the plywood so material doesn't catch and it will slide easily.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:45 AM

What about using a folding camp table.? I am using a card table right now plus my dinning room table and plan on bring in my long table but also have considered getting a folding camp table.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:52 AM

I have a Bernina 430 currently on an Ikea desk called Liatorp...I love that they name their furniture. It's really a computer desk but inside each side cabinet is one moveable shelf and I have plastic draw things inside. I made a quilting table out of foam and it works fine, but the space in my corner is pretty small. There's a drawleaf table close by and when I need to do serious cutting, I open it out and DH hefts it up onto plastic bed risers to the perfect height for me. Here's a pic of my corner, uncommonly clean.

I'm saving my pennies for a Koala or Horn desk with a lift. Maybe Santa Claus will help out?

Sewing corner with Ikea desk
[ATTACH=CONFIG]80688[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-80683.jpe
Views:	34
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	80688  
Old 07-08-2010, 09:56 AM

Now here's something to show to those DH's who can/will build things: Rockler Woodworking sells a machine lift that can be installed into a custom cabinet or retrofitted into an old one. Check it out at http://rockler.com and search for "sewing machine lift." Be sure to read the reviews...there are pictures of cabinets built from scratch plus old ones or desks that were retrofitted.

If Santa doesn't bring me a new cabinet, maybe he could install a lift in my Ikea desk?