Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Coping as a left-hander >

Coping as a left-hander

Coping as a left-hander

Old 07-08-2010, 12:34 PM

I'm just so use to dealing with right handed stuff, that I don't think about it... I do have lots of struggles and wished things fit in my hand better..
Old 07-08-2010, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by gloryj8
I'm just so use to dealing with right handed stuff, that I don't think about it... I do have lots of struggles and wished things fit in my hand better..
I've got carpal tunnel and M.S. Sometimes it's a wonder I don't sew my fingers together
Old 07-09-2010, 06:40 PM

My mom was left handed. She would sit in front of whoever was showing her something and was able to learn whatever that way.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:18 PM

Me being a lefty, I thought I wouldn't be able to teach my right-handed daughter to crochet. She was only in about 3rd grade, and she sat across from me and she did great. (I thought I was an excellent teacher, but it turns out she was just really smart) She's now 28, and making afghans.

Cannot believe how long this topic has gone on. Who knew "handedness" would be so facinating.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by JeanDal
My mom was left handed. She would sit in front of whoever was showing her something and was able to learn whatever that way.
I don't know if any of you watch golf, but this is why right-handed Phil Mickelson plays left-handed and he is a wonderful role model for our young people. I always make sure I have hand sewing to do when he is on----and yes, he's not perfect at his passion either yet keeps on enjoying the sport-- sort of like me with my sewing projects.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by quilting4five
I'm a lefty too -- use the rotary cutter with my left hand (but use scissors with my right -- go figure -- all those years in elementary school either grabbing a pair of "righty" scissors" or one of the very few "weird" ones with the green handles meant for lefties, lol).

Anyway, I just do what feels natural in regard to placing/cutting my fabric, etc. It's been easier if I don't try to do it "leftie" or "rightie," but just "comfy."

:-)
i agree with that. i'm very left handed. can't do much with my right. until i got left handed scissors as an adult, i flipped the scissors over and cut that way. i'm still learning to use it, but i love the rotary cutter. i did have to play with it a bit to figure out where to place my ruler, how to handle the wheel. my cutter is an olfa and i found i have to use the side with the writing next to the ruler or i mess up, don't know if that helps you any.