Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Boomerang Friendship Swap 2.0  Sign-Ups Closed.-Please Read my Notes Pg 136 & 137 >

Boomerang Friendship Swap 2.0 Sign-Ups Closed.-Please Read my Notes Pg 136 & 137

Boomerang Friendship Swap 2.0 Sign-Ups Closed.-Please Read my Notes Pg 136 & 137

Old 07-10-2010, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by salmonsweet
Oh, we cross-posted! Just saw this, April.

Maybe a crazy idea...what if you were to consider having groups for 12 blocks each? Depending on how many people you get, you might have several groups and a person could sign on for one, two or three of them depending on how many blocks they want to commit to for the round. (Please note that I speak from a place blissful ignorance of the organisational side - I sure wouldn't want to suggest anything that becomes an administrative nightmare for you to host!!)

Originally Posted by LovingIzabella
I enjoyed the larger amount of 36 because you did end up with a nice 72 x 72 top when you put them together and that is without borders or sashing or anything.

After receiving some more input here are some more thoughts. Please let me know what you all think.

Option 1: We have two groups. One for people who want to swap 24 (23 actual blocks) blocks in 4 months and a group for people who want to swap 36 (35 actual blocks) blocks in 4 months.

Option 2: We have a vote for number of blocks (which also limits the number of swappers to that number of blocks)

A-24 blocks (48 x 72)
B-25 blocks (60 x 60)
C-28 blocks (48 x 84)
D-30 blocks (60 x 72)
E-35 blocks (60 x 84)
F-36 blocks (72 x 72)

Any and all input is much appreciated :-)

Hugs
April
If that does happen, and you need help "hosting" I'd be happy to help in whatever way I can!
Old 07-10-2010, 09:46 AM

I'm sorry if I stirred up anything by my suggestions, but they were just that -- random thoughts. Personally I'm not opposed to the different block patterns/fabrics, just wondered if it created a hardship on some of the newer quilters who are still building up their inventory as well as a financial hardship on others who have to be careful how they stretch a dollar -- especially with postal and fabric costs going up in the very near future (46 cents times 35 is $16.10 for mailing out the eighths, probably a little more to mail the blocks back if you have a post office that won't let you mail them as correspondence rather than parcel;parcel rates will bring each one closer to $1 each. Cost of 4.5 yards of fabric for the eighths would be $18-$40, depending on JoAnn's vs. quilt shop prices. So, you don't realize it at first, but this swap can get rather pricey the way it's set up now. (Not too much of an expense if this is the only swap you want to do) I was concerned by the number of "regulars" who are dropping out. The longer timeframe is a good idea. Less blocks would also be helpful. Even 20 blocks, set 4x5, with sashing and borders would be an adequate lap quilt or charity quilt (4 feet by 6 feet without sash and borders). Maybe if there is a Boom 3 still this year, the lesser number of blocks required would be more attractive and less frightening to newbies. I'm not saying only 20 or 24 people could sign up, I'm just wondering if the total number can be divided into groups of 20 or 24 or whatever depending on how many are interested. The number of swap participants wouldn't be limited to 36 total so more players will be able to join in. If you feel you need more than 20-24 blocks, you could sign up twice or use the same swap fabric for the next Boom. I know it's a lot of work for the coordinator (sorry, April) but I would be more than willing to help you out. I know you have a pretty full plate right now with health issues and work and most importantly being a great mom, which you undeniably are. (I don't know how you do it all and still maintain sanity or sobriety). By no means am I disrespecting or belittling you or your past efforts, I was just trying to make it easier on you and your time. I like to participate in other swaps as well as the Boom, and cutting the 36 blocks back would take a lot of pressure off. If I didn't feel that due date hanging over my head every time I looked at that pile of envelopes, I might be more tempted to try different and more complex patterns rather than settling for something rather simple just to get thru the stack. Sorry April and everyone else -- didn't mean to make waves. I love the swap and would probably sign up again regardless of what y'all decide to do. I'll not voice my thoughts and concerns out loud next time.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Nancy in Louisiana
I'm sorry if I stirred up anything by my suggestions, but they were just that -- random thoughts. Personally I'm not opposed to the different block patterns/fabrics, just wondered if it created a hardship on some of the newer quilters who are still building up their inventory as well as a financial hardship on others who have to be careful how they stretch a dollar -- especially with postal and fabric costs going up in the very near future (46 cents times 35 is $16.10 for mailing out the eighths, probably a little more to mail the blocks back if you have a post office that won't let you mail them as correspondence rather than parcel;parcel rates will bring each one closer to $1 each. Cost of 4.5 yards of fabric for the eighths would be $18-$40, depending on JoAnn's vs. quilt shop prices. So, you don't realize it at first, but this swap can get rather pricey the way it's set up now. (Not too much of an expense if this is the only swap you want to do) I was concerned by the number of "regulars" who are dropping out. The longer timeframe is a good idea. Less blocks would also be helpful. Even 20 blocks, set 4x5, with sashing and borders would be an adequate lap quilt or charity quilt (4 feet by 6 feet without sash and borders). Maybe if there is a Boom 3 still this year, the lesser number of blocks required would be more attractive and less frightening to newbies. I'm not saying only 20 or 24 people could sign up, I'm just wondering if the total number can be divided into groups of 20 or 24 or whatever depending on how many are interested. The number of swap participants wouldn't be limited to 36 total so more players will be able to join in. If you feel you need more than 20-24 blocks, you could sign up twice or use the same swap fabric for the next Boom. I know it's a lot of work for the coordinator (sorry, April) but I would be more than willing to help you out. I know you have a pretty full plate right now with health issues and work and most importantly being a great mom, which you undeniably are. (I don't know how you do it all and still maintain sanity or sobriety). By no means am I disrespecting or belittling you or your past efforts, I was just trying to make it easier on you and your time. I like to participate in other swaps as well as the Boom, and cutting the 36 blocks back would take a lot of pressure off. If I didn't feel that due date hanging over my head every time I looked at that pile of envelopes, I might be more tempted to try different and more complex patterns rather than settling for something rather simple just to get thru the stack. Sorry April and everyone else -- didn't mean to make waves. I love the swap and would probably sign up again regardless of what y'all decide to do. I'll not voice my thoughts and concerns out loud next time.
Oh Ms. Nancy do not be silly! You did not stir up anything or make any waves. I appreciate and want people to voice their thoughts and concerns. Part of making this swap the best swap anyone has ever joined is fine tuning it and that comes with time, input and dedication of swappers :-)
I as everyone else know that you meant no disrespect or belittling so please do not be worried that you have.
I thank you for the compliments-as I do everyone on how I have managed the swap-it means a lot to me. This swap is what keeps me going when life happens. It is knowing I have friends here who support me and will love what I make for them. I never claimed to be sane though lol Sobriety I will claim but never ever will I claim to be sane lol
You bring up very valid points. Cost can be a huge factor especially for those who want to participate in other swaps or have other things going on in life.
I am never adverse to reworking something so it works for as many people as possible.
I fear not limiting the number of swappers because I do not want to end up with an uneven amount of people. If 29 people sign up and we only want 24 or 25 blocks....
I will work some more on it this weekend. With all of the WONDERFUL, THOUGHTFUL suggestions that have been posted here I am sure we can continue to make the Boomerang swap better and better until it is perfect (well almost nothing is EVER perfect :-D )
I thank you all again for swapping with me. I know some of the regular swappers can not do 3.0 due to holidays coming and I understand that completely. No matter what happens I will extend the deadline out to 4 months for 3.0 versus the 3 months. I think this will help "regulars" and "newbies" feel more comfortable and no pressure :-)
Hugs
April
Old 07-10-2010, 10:14 AM

Izabella, I would go for option #1. I really enjoyed the 36 blocks. I think you would get enough people for both groups, as this has become a very popular group!
Old 07-10-2010, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by goldendog55
Izabella, I would go for option #1. I really enjoyed the 36 blocks. I think you would get enough people for both groups, as this has become a very popular group!
I agree as well.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:15 AM

Group size doesn't matter to me. It's the longer time frame that made the difference. I have a DGS due in 4-5 weeks and my DD will need extra help when he arrives.
Old 07-10-2010, 11:37 AM

I'm all for either option, just to be included would be an honor for me. Thanks April for a great job hosting.
Barbara
Old 07-10-2010, 11:45 AM

Even with 24 blocks I like to put one focus fabric with all of my blocks to tie the quilt together so 24 blocks is more than enough. I solved that for myself by splitting my fabric into two different fabrics, so I'm getting enough blocks back for two quilts. My biggest problem was keeping track of the blocks coming back. I think we need to make it a requirement to write your screen name into a selvage on the back so it is not noticeable, but so you get credit for making the block.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:07 PM

Rec'd the cutest block today from Neoma. Bright colored animals and strips. Perfect :-)
Old 07-10-2010, 12:18 PM

I'd prefer Options 1 or 2, with 3 being the ultimate maximum, even with the extended time. I'm sure we could get two groups filled -- call them Boom 3.1 and 3.2.