Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-10-2010, 03:15 PM

Hey Guys, wanted to share my purchase. I found this in a junk shop. Only paid $18 for it. It is a treadle without the cabinet. I just wanted to get into redoing an old machine. Thought this was cheap enough for me to learn on. Don't know much about this brand. Any info would be great.

Also I found a shop where a guy had about 50 treadle machines. All shapes and sizes. Most were in cabinets. Most seem to be working, but very dirty and needed lots of TLC. There was one Singer Sphynx that the guy wanted $75 for machine, cabinet and machine cover. Wasn't sure if that was a good price. So I held off on that one. I can always go back. from the looks of it, he is not selling them real fast. I will take my camera next time. I would love for you guys to see how many treadle he had.

Thanks for all your help,
Jackie
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-79346.jpe
Views:	2088
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	79351   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-79347.jpe
Views:	2086
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	79352   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-79351.jpe
Views:	2035
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	79356  
Old 07-10-2010, 03:48 PM

Thanks, Darcene, I'll have to look up one and see if I can make it clear to myself. lol. Some days I'm really blonde (no offense out there women, I'm a true blonde in hair color, and some days in action also)
Old 07-10-2010, 04:17 PM

I got a sewing box at a yard sale and it has two Singer boxes with attachments in them . Here is the pictures. I thought someone may have the machine for them and need these. I do not even have a clue what they are for. Some has little notes what they are but some do not.

Name:	Attachment-79182.jpe
Views:	1970
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	79187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-79183.jpe
Views:	2044
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	79188  
Old 07-10-2010, 04:23 PM

Billy, What model is this machine? I just found out it is a 99K, Would this be a good candidate for what I would like to do?

Name:	Attachment-79237.jpe
Views:	2054
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	79242  
Old 07-10-2010, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by SewExtreme
Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Thanks Billy, We just found out by looking on the white web site that this cabinet is called Mission or Arts and Craft style and one of the most saught after. Dated 1917. So we are glad she followed us home. :-D :-D :-D
What white website are you speaking of?
I just typed into google "white rotery sewing machine serial numbers" and then clicked on to Whites. A blue page opened but at the http: space it said treadelon. Written by a (Captain Dick.) Told the story about white machines and gave a list of serial numbers to match a date. I am sure other people have been on this page but I just found it by trial and error. Hope this explains and helps you.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:19 PM

Billy, Do you know anything about a machine that's called a Hilton? Made for Hilton sewing machine co. out of Cleaveland, OH. But made in Japan. It a model 566. Serial # 566-44A. Probably made around the 50's. Will try a get a pic tomorrow.
Thanks
Old 07-10-2010, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Darcene
Originally Posted by Weedwoman
Hi Billy, did you get a chance to look at the pics I posted of my Diamond and the Red Eye? I figured out how to look the number up on the singer and find out the year but I don't have a clue as to what the models are or how to tell and I'd really like to learn (one less person buggin you for help). Thanks AGAIN
Weedwoman,

I can help you with the Singer information...when you are reading the tables on the Singer site the first column indicates the letter code (1 or 2 letters-or possibly none based on the age of the machine), the second and third columns are the registry numbers (6 to 7 numerals), the fourth column is the machine class (model number), the fifth column is the quantity of the model number allotted to that particular production run, the sixth column is the initial day of allotment, the seventh column is the year of the production run, and the final column may or may not contain production notes...

for example:

[EK-] [017826 067825] [99K] [50000] [December 6] [1954]

The example machine has a serial number of EK017826, it is a model 99k, it is one of a production run of 50,000; it was allotted on Dec.6, 1954. The allotment date is not an absolute date of production but it gets us pretty close to a birthday for these wonderful machines....

I will do some research and see what I can find out about the Diamond....that is one beautiful machine....

Quilting in Pratt, KS---when I can make myself get off of the computer---

Darcene
Can you put the link to the actual place I need to look on the singer site? I'd much appreciate it. Thanks
Old 07-10-2010, 06:20 PM

Weedwoman,

The site is: www.singerco.com/support/serial_numbers.html

For some reason the hyperlink does not copy correctly for me...so you will need to cut and paste the site into your browser address bar....

Once you are at the site you will need to choose the option for your serial number (no letter, one letter, or two letter prefix), after you click on the option you want you will be taken to a page that has the links for the charts....on the right hand side of the page there are pages that can be downloaded to your computer so that you can look up the numbers without going online....each time I buy a machine with a new set of letter prefixes I download the chart for that particular set of letters so that I have it for reference.....

Darcene

Based on your serial number information we now know this:

G- 5335636 5385635 66 50000 April 26 1917

It was produced in the approximate middle of this production run...it is a model 66...this run was 50,000 machines allotted on April 26, 1917.....

In the charts the numbers start with the six digit numerals and as you work your way down the list you will come to the seven digit numerals....it took me a while to figure this one out....also, if you have a machine that starts with a leading zero....don't ignore the zero, just work your way down the chart until the number shows up with the leading zero included....
Old 07-10-2010, 07:25 PM

Found on CL. Billy do you know anything about Whitney Household machines. I figure from the fiddle base that it is an older on. I cannot find any information on a quick search on the internet. I thought it may be an import but did not find the name on the SewAlot site.

Here are some pictures. They are asking $65.

I have duty this weekend so not able to go look at it until Monday night.

Timer for lemon bars is beeping so gotta go. I bring some into the shop in the morning

Name:	Attachment-79118.jpe
Views:	1955
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	79123   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-79119.jpe
Views:	2011
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	79124  
Old 07-10-2010, 07:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by quilt addict
Found on CL. Billy do you know anything about Whitney Household machines. I figure from the fiddle base that it is an older on. I cannot find any information on a quick search on the internet. I thought it may be an import but did not find the name on the SewAlot site.

Here are some pictures. They are asking $65.

I have duty this weekend so not able to go look at it until Monday night.

Timer for lemon bars is beeping so gotta go. I bring some into the shop in the morning
Lisa Lisa Lisa, how in the world do you do it? You are really good at this is all I can say. Yes this is a significant machine and I can almost remember who badged these machines. I have seen one on the NeedlBar so I will go there and see what I can find for you.

Yes run and get the machine!!! I will go look up the maker and some history about it, but that is a great find.......

Billy