Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-11-2010, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
I am not trying to be sarcastic at all but I have threaded this machine so many times I think I could do it blind folded. LOL. Hubby said we could probably thread it running. We are just haveing a hard time and run out of ideas. Have changed needle and bobbin race and bobbins. Will sew maybe one stitch then no more. Any suggestions from anyone would be helpful right now.
Have you checked the tension on the bobbin and the tension. Or is the needle in the wrong way or threaded in the wrong direction.

Oh and the obvious is it the right needle for the machine......
I have done all of the above. Except not sure about the needle. But have tried several different ones.

:cry: Thanks for the help :-)
Old 07-11-2010, 04:48 PM

I am not trying to be sarcastic at all but I have threaded this machine so many times I think I could do it blind folded. LOL. Hubby said we could probably thread it running. We are just haveing a hard time and run out of ideas. Have changed needle and bobbin race and bobbins. Will sew maybe one stitch then no more. Any suggestions from anyone would be helpful right now.
Are you referring to your White FR? Here's a link to some White Rotary manuals:

(http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...34169218tASuVY)
Old 07-11-2010, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Darcene
I am sorry that I do not know enough about this machine to be able to help you with the stitch problem....but I must say that you really scored on this machine and cabinet....the answer is out here somewhere and maybe someone will be able to help you out....is this a White rotary? Do you have any idea what size or type needle it uses....that seems to be an issue sometimes with the older machines...

The following information is not related to your specific machine but it does refer to a problem that another user was having with regard to difficulty with forming a stitch:

The machine takes a Boye Needle #4, or a Singer 20x1, which are no longer
made, but you can still find them around. You should be able to use a
standard 15x1 needle in the machine, but you are going to have to drop the
needle down in the needlebar to get it to sew. When it catches the bobbin
thread, you have succeeded. The original needle's eye was a bit further down
then the current 15x1 needle (4.3mm longer).

This quote comes from a vintage treadle site on yahoo....

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vintag...ewingmachines/
White FR uses 15x1 needles.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Power Poster

Here is another link to the White Rotary Manual, Book 11. You can download it from here for free.

http://www.ismacs.net/white/manuals/white-rotary.pdf
Old 07-11-2010, 05:45 PM

Want to thank everyone for the help reguarding the white treadle machine. But, what I am having trouble with is a Hilton sewing machine. I posted pictures a few pages back. This machine has really been a bummer but I'll get it. Hubby said we will get it or make a boat anchor out of it and we don't own a boat. (he thought that was funny!!) Again thanks for all the help past,present,and future.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:56 PM
EC

[/quote]

I wish that it would be made into its own section so we can keep up with the info a lot better and we can have a better grip on whats going on.

Maybe we need to present it to the Mod Squad and the Boss!!

Billy[/quote]

Sure would make things easier. I had to go backwards from present to page 103 to find the little white featherweight. Now I'm looking for the info you listed about wiring/which wire to use on Featherweights
Old 07-11-2010, 06:38 PM

Ok, I hate to show you guys what I did. Billy will probably be angry. But I would like to share so maybe someone else doesn't make the same mistake.

I started cleaning my "knickerbocker" machine. During my zealous cleaning, I cleaned the gold decals off. Not sure what I did wrong. Or was it even my fault? Not sure what the answer is. Maybe you guys could help me out. I will post the before and after pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-78354.jpe
Views:	452
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	78359   Click image for larger version

Name:	Attachment-78355.jpe
Views:	450
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	78360  
Old 07-11-2010, 07:15 PM

Hi Jackie, Billie uses special cleaner to clean the outside of the machine so it won't take the gold off. I think you rubbed to hard or the cleaner you used has some sort of grit in it. He posted a cleaning tutorial awhile ago. I don't remember where.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:20 PM

Jackie,

I did the same thing on my Davis machine. I was using the GOJO (without pumice) and thought I was being careful. But it did the same thing. The thing I learned is to try any cleaner in an inconspicuous spot. Also I have read elsewhere to dab and not rub.

Lisa :(
Old 07-11-2010, 07:24 PM

I was using the goop with no pumice. I guess I was just too worried about getting the gunk off. It really does look better. Just now most everything is silver insted of gold. Oh well, it will look good as a decoration. Just wanted to share so someone else doesn't make the same mistake