Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell >

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Vintage Sewing Machine Shop.....Come on in and sit a spell

Old 07-11-2010, 07:31 PM

I have one just like this...Isn't this a wonderful machine...Mine has the motor, but also had the belt with it...and it has extra feet...
Diane in Louisiana
Old 07-11-2010, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by jackkip
I was using the goop with no pumice. I guess I was just too worried about getting the gunk off. It really does look better. Just now most everything is silver insted of gold. Oh well, it will look good as a decoration. Just wanted to share so someone else doesn't make the same mistake
I have never had that happen, and I have cleaned a LOT of machines with GoJo. There's many different reasons it could have happened, but the important thing is, you learned from it. Next time, you'll test first and clean a little more carefully!! Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Want to thank everyone for the help reguarding the white treadle machine. But, what I am having trouble with is a Hilton sewing machine. I posted pictures a few pages back. This machine has really been a bummer but I'll get it. Hubby said we will get it or make a boat anchor out of it and we don't own a boat. (he thought that was funny!!) Again thanks for all the help past,present,and future.
If you have a new needle, and are using your manual to be sure it's in the right way and the machine is threaded properly (always thread with presser foot up), make sure you have threaded the bobbin case the right way and that it's the right bobbin for the case. (I can't tell you how many "non-working" machines I've seen with the wrong bobbin!!) It looks like a class 15 machine, so the bobbin shouldn't be hard to identify if it is.

A couple of weeks ago, an OSMG with 50 years experience and I spent 2 1/2 hours trying to figure out what was wrong with my 201. Even though we had checked the bobbin and found no rough spot, we finally figured out that the loop was catching on the lower side of the bobbin and throwing the stitch off. I learned that my 201 doesn't like the new bobbins and only wants to sew with the originals!!
Old 07-11-2010, 10:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jackkip
I was using the goop with no pumice. I guess I was just too worried about getting the gunk off. It really does look better. Just now most everything is silver insted of gold. Oh well, it will look good as a decoration. Just wanted to share so someone else doesn't make the same mistake
Sometimes it happens but fortunately I have never had it happen before.

It sounds like the shellac that protected the machine was crazed and really deteriorated to the point it came off with the Go Jo. I have seen places on the beds that will do that sometimes but you have to be careful but you need to get it off. Its a double edged sword. Also the gold is sometimes the Shellac that the put on the machine.

But I will say it looks a lot better and very shiny!!

Billy
Old 07-12-2010, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by Miz Johnny
Originally Posted by Crossstitcher
Want to thank everyone for the help reguarding the white treadle machine. But, what I am having trouble with is a Hilton sewing machine. I posted pictures a few pages back. This machine has really been a bummer but I'll get it. Hubby said we will get it or make a boat anchor out of it and we don't own a boat. (he thought that was funny!!) Again thanks for all the help past,present,and future.
If you have a new needle, and are using your manual to be sure it's in the right way and the machine is threaded properly (always thread with presser foot up), make sure you have threaded the bobbin case the right way and that it's the right bobbin for the case. (I can't tell you how many "non-working" machines I've seen with the wrong bobbin!!) It looks like a class 15 machine, so the bobbin shouldn't be hard to identify if it is.

A couple of weeks ago, an OSMG with 50 years experience and I spent 2 1/2 hours trying to figure out what was wrong with my 201. Even though we had checked the bobbin and found no rough spot, we finally figured out that the loop was catching on the lower side of the bobbin and throwing the stitch off. I learned that my 201 doesn't like the new bobbins and only wants to sew with the originals!!
Thanks for the help. I think the problem is some where in the tension. We took all the bobbin parts out and put another in from another machine and it still did the same thing. But, the tension on the upper part of the machine is so tight I can't pull the thread to thread the needle. Have to check it out some more. We worked on it so long had to leave it for a while. I won't let DH use it as an anchor.

:?
Old 07-12-2010, 06:57 AM

This is the cutest machine sears offered. They offered this one and a fullsized one just like this one. Even the controller the case the accessory box everything was pink!!!

I almost had one but I was out bid on eBey for over $200 for the full sized one with all of the accessories.

Nice machine and hang on to it because it will be the more expensive of all the Kenmores built!!!

Billy
Well, I got a good deal then at $15, huh? It came with the carrying case, actually its made into the bottom and you latch the top on. It only had a couple of bobbins and 2 presser feet with it, and I don't think any of them are original.

You are soooooo knowledgable! You are like a walking sewing machine encyclopedia!
Old 07-12-2010, 08:51 AM
Power Poster

Where is a good place to buy a quality belt for my treadle machine? Also where can I get a 1/4 inch foot, bobbins and a free motion foot for it. Right now DH has it converted to a low shank. Thanks!!!!!
Old 07-12-2010, 11:34 AM

Thanks, I will keep trying.
Originally Posted by Lostn51
Originally Posted by GrammaNan
OK, I finally clicked on this thread after how many months? The lap top I am using sits on top of a treadle sewing machine. I have unhooked the belt and I "treadle" while I type. I have changed the belt and have had my dad adjust it so many times that I am embarrassed to ask him again and it is still too loose. I cannot use it for sewing and it is so frustrating. I love this machine. Any suggestions?
Undo the hook on the belt and cut a little off and take a nail or something like that make another hole for the hook and put it back together.

You will have to do this a few time through the course of the belt stretching but it will eventually stop.

Billy
Old 07-12-2010, 03:46 PM

After cleaning the iron treadle works on this last Singer Red Eye I got my DH discovered the singer mfg part on each end is either bronzed or painted gold color. I have two other old works like that and they are not gold color. Is this an oddity or something done on just certain ones. It sure looks nice. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:46 PM

After cleaning the iron treadle works on this last Singer Red Eye I got my DH discovered the singer mfg part on each end is either bronzed or painted gold color. I have two other old works like that and they are not gold color. Is this an oddity or something done on just certain ones. It sure looks nice. Thanks in advance.