My first try at canning!!

Old 07-11-2010, 05:40 PM

It's been years since I have had a garden, but when my kids were small, we lived in Iowa, complete with a 25-by-25 foot garden (or maybe larger - I have no depth perception). And I canned and/or froze enough vegetables to keep us through the winter. Pickled beets were a favorite, as was corn relish. And of course canned green beans and tomatoes. And you haven't lived until you have canned your own ketchup. I could go on and on and on... We're moving in the next few months, so a new garden is on the horizon. In the meantime, I'm a new quilter, so have little to offer in conversations. But lots of experience gardening and canning, so I feel that this is one way that I can give back to others that I have learned so much from.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:47 PM

I may be picking your brain about gardening and canning. I've only done herbs, which are easy because they just grow like weeds. I haven't done any vegetable gardening other than a few things many, many years ago.

I have almost no yard so I am very limited. I have been reading and watching Youtube videos on Square Foot Gardening. That seems like the way to go for me and that's not likely to produce a whole lot of each thing but, maybe enough to can some of it.

I want to be able to move out of the suburbs when I retire (hopefully in 8 years) and garden more.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:29 PM

I'm a southern girl. I really don't know what all is in goulash. I have canned tomatoes, salsa, jams and jelly. We freeze corn too. We didn't grow our own, but I did take the kids to pick in the fields, and they would shuck the corn, wash the silks off, peel tomatoes, or pears, or apples. Used to have a pear, peach trees, and blackberrys in the back yard. I haven't used a pressure cooker in 30 years, but I can and still use a boiling bath canner. I've also made catsup, onion relish,pickles and apple butter.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Power Poster

Hi Pam, My husband taught me canning and it's really fun!!
I had no clue how to do it. Anyway, I used to can a lot of tomatoes and the kids loved helping. Also applesauce, plums,peaches, stuff like that. Never used a pressure cooker though.
Also made jams, wow, I forgot how much we used to do!!
My husband makes killer chili sauce (tomatoes) that was his GM's recipe.
We haven't done any canning in a long time and I miss it!
Thanks for the reminder and the memories :)
Oh yeah, one suggestion- don't can beans w/o a pressure cooker lol
We leaned the hard way :D
Old 07-11-2010, 06:46 PM

Goulash is very simple... stew meat, onions, garlic, worsteshire (sp) sauce, brown sugar, paprika, cayenne, ketchup, dry mustard, salt. It's like a stew and is served over noodles.

Good thing I decided not to do the last step of thickening it!! I just read to not use flour when browning meat to pressure can or when making a gravy to pour into the jars. Wow... good save! I figured that when it is heated to eat that I would thicken with cornstarch if needed.

It's done. :) The canner is cooling off, waiting for no pressure to take off the vent cap.

I've been reading the Ball book and it all looks so good.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:23 PM
Power Poster

I've been canning tomatoes for years and years - just learned something from you today -

That is to let the steam vent for 10 minutes before putting the control on the vent tube.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:35 PM

I just heard the "plink" of the cans sealing. :)

If you've been doing it successfully for years I'm sure not one to tell you any differently. That's just what I read in the book with the canner.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:42 PM

I canned 14 quarts of chicken stew today.... oh and 7 quarts of dill pickles. I generally cut my tomatos, cook them, add onions, carrots, boiled and shredded chicken and onions and corn. Cook over low heat until about 1/2 done, then put into hot jars, seal and pressure at 10 pounds for 35 minutes. I have my Mom's old Ball canning book from 1968. That thing is wonderful! Nothing like breaking open a jar of stew on a cold winter's night for comfort food.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:44 PM

Do you have any oil separating at the top of the processed jar? There's not a lot, maybe 1/4" if that but, since I've never done it before I don't know how it's supposed to look. :idea:

It's bubbling (boiling) in the jars a little bit too.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:01 PM

The grease from the meat will make oil....congealed grease...sometimes. Is it grease of is it a clear liquid?