Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
useful or use less quilting notions. >

useful or use less quilting notions.

useful or use less quilting notions.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by mzsooz
Originally Posted by littlehud
I love my sewing machines and my rotary cutters. I use my Sidewinder a lot. But I do plug it in. I love my new bigger cutting mat. I have almost nothing I don't use.
I have a power strip hung above my table. I plug in the sidewinder, light, iron, etc. When I come down to sew I just flip the switch on the power strip and walah... everything is on. When I'm done, flip switch and all power is off. Don't even have to turn off my iron that way!!
I also use a surge protector to keep all my 'doin's' in one place. When I close shop I turn it off and unplug it. I thought it might not protect my stuff from power surges if it was turned off and plugged into the wall outlet still. So I unplug it from the wall. Does anyone know?
Old 07-12-2010, 05:38 AM

I guess I would have to say the Rotary Cutter is the all time best notion I have!
All Time worse is the rotary blade cutter, it was around 20 plus dollars and totally worthless.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:44 AM

I agree I bought a sharpener also as I use a few blades a week.
doesn't do a thing!
Old 07-12-2010, 05:57 AM

The notion I enjoy the most is the shape cutter by June Tailor. It lets you cut multiple strips of material in increments of 1/2 inch while not moving the ruler. I like it particularly because the cutter is guided through the channel and thus does not slip toward the right or left. Very accurate.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:04 AM

What a great thread! (pun intended! :-D) I mostly lurk here (love reading all the great tips and information and opinions!), but had to weigh in on this one! I love, love, love my Clover extra fine patchwork pins. I'm a "sew-over" gal, and these pins are so thin that I don't have to worry about going over them with the machine.

Love my OmniGRIP rulers; they don't slide around.

Love a pair of serrated scissors that I have. Their edges grip the fabric, so they are wonderful for applique shapes.

And I should buy stock in Gingher. Like Cat-On-A-Mac, I have duplicates of all my gingher scissors (especially thread-clipping size) -- in my applique take-along basket, beside the ironing board, beside the sewing machine, in the case of the machine I carry to classes, etc. It seems that having multiples ensures I don't lose any!! :-D

Best investment ever? A hand-me-down white, twin-size flannel sheet (my Mom gave it to me so it was FREE!), that I tacked up in my sewing room and use for a Design Wall. Not only do I use it to "design" but also to "store" works in process to stay motivated. My Circuit Rider Quilt applique blocks are on there now to keep me working on my needle-turn applique.

www.cheaperthantherapyquilting.blogspot.com/
Old 07-12-2010, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by SulaBug
I have that same battery operated bobbin winder, that doesn't work right!! :D But it does give my grand daughter something to do, when she comes to visit!! :D After she leaves, I rewind them on my machine.

My favorite sewing item is a very old cloth pin cushion, that a friend of my Mother's made for me. It's tattered & old, but it is special to me!! My next most used item is my seam ripper. My husband gave it to me over 40 years ago & I still have need to use it quite often!! Oh, the memories!!
:D :D :D :D
Wow I thought that I keep old sewing things. I still have my seam ripper from freshman in HS ...44 years ago. I think that older is often better, and don't go for all the new things on the market
Old 07-12-2010, 08:08 AM

Love my rotary cutter, my "purple thang," and my Rowenta travel iron.
Used the Clover once and probably won't again.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:09 AM

I bought that new Alex Anderson (I think) tool that is made from wood and has several tools in one. The wood has changed sizes, and now the "lid" won't stay on the end that has a sharp point (can't think of the name right now--like a bamboo skewer). Seemed like a good idea at the time, but it was an expensive tool (relatively) and a waste of money IMHO.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:42 AM

Best: Love my magnetic pinholder. I can just toss the pins in its direction when I'm sewing and they all end up in the right place!

The table needle threader is funny: when I first got one, it didn't work at all. I put it into the drawer with all of the other useless items, but got it out again when I started English paper piecing (a lot of hand needle threading) and it worked like a charm! I bought another so that I could take it places with me.

Worst: I agree about the Clover mini-iron. I thought it was such a good idea, but find it worthless. Also - I can't seem to get the knack of using the needle threader on my Janome...I think we've had a discussion on this topic in the past!
Old 07-12-2010, 10:26 AM

Best: Pincushion/thread catcher I made for my sewing table.
Altos fabric cutter, makes cutting more accurate.
Turntable for equipt/notions next to machine.
Large cutting table.
Rotary Cutter
Seam Rippers, a good friend
Worst: Clover mini iron.
Darice Mini Iron-comes unplugged
Rotating mat...never opened (must try sometime)