Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Piece o' Cake Applique >

Piece o' Cake Applique

Piece o' Cake Applique

Old 07-12-2010, 04:11 AM

My first applique project was a piece o cake block of the month series. I used a light box to transfer the pattern onto the fabric as I thought the vinyl placement method not particularly appealing. To my irritation a number of the patterns were not square. The designs were symetrical so therefore only a quarter of the pattern was printed, which is fine - I can rotate paper but after the pattern's horizontal and vertical guide lines wouldn't line up on the horizontal and vertical lines I basted on the background fabric, I placed my right angle along the horizontal and vertical guide lines on the paper pattern - the angle wasn't 90 degrees. This was typical throughout the series.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by User886077
Overhead markers Hum! Never thought of that. I will try that and also the idea of the window. I have a "light box". Made it myself with a piece of plexiglas and a small lamp in a box. Forgot I even had it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think it will be a work in progress for many, many years. I might have bitten off more than I can sew.

Carol :thumbup:
I usually do my appliquing at night watching/listening :-D to the TV. Not anything pressing, just enjoyable.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:08 PM

I actually LOVE the vinyl overlays! Being just a bid OCD (or as a friend of mine calls it: CDO -- so the letters are in alphabetical order! DUH! LOL!), the vinyl overlay is not only accurate but you don't have to fiddle with your seam allowance until it's time to sew the pieces down. Nice for people like me with clubby/chubby fingers.

I taught a class at my local shop using this method, too. One of the ladies, very "green" minded, suggest using parchment paper instead of vinyl. It's see-through and recyclable. So that might be an option, too!

Blessings!
Old 07-12-2010, 12:11 PM

I did not want to do the vinyl overlay step either, so taped the pattern to my light box and discovered that the pattern is printed on BOTH sides. What a pain to figure out which lines go with which block.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bluphrog
I did not want to do the vinyl overlay step either, so taped the pattern to my light box and discovered that the pattern is printed on BOTH sides. What a pain to figure out which lines go with which block.
If you're having trouble with paper patterns printed on both sides showing through a lightbox, photocopy each side, and ue the copied pattern.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:20 AM

I have also just started the "Whimsical Garden" blocks and I personally like the vinyl overlay method. I've used this method on two other needle-turn applique tops. It helps me position each piece in the proper place. I tried once to do without the overlay and just "eyeball" placement, but it never looked right and I abandoned that project.

One tip to keep the markings from rubbing off the vinyl is to keep a piece of paper over the side you drew on when storing. I use the paper that comes on the roll with the vinyl, just cut to the same size as my pattern. The markings don't smudge or rub off with the paper next to them.