Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Problem: Expected quilts >

Problem: Expected quilts

Problem: Expected quilts

Old 07-12-2010, 05:20 PM

If it is a gift and you would be giving a gift anyway whether it is a quilt or not, give something else if you want to. I made a quilt for a co worker and then the mom to be of the next baby that came along expressed that she wanted the same thing...... and then the next and the next and one day I just gave a different present. We get ourselves into these things and think we have to keep on doing whatever it is and the truth is WE DON'T!
Old 07-12-2010, 05:35 PM

I use to make quilts for people that I worked with who were expecting babies. I stopped when one of my coworkers came to me to inform me that I would need to make a quilt for her 2nd baby. She made sure that I knew she wanted it in the peach, yellow and green. That was when I decided that making baby quilts for coworkers were no more. I did not feel guilty stopping either. Now when someone asks me about making a quilt for them, I just smile and say "no don't have time." I do tell them that if they want to make a quilt themselves, I would be more than happy to assist them in finding a class for them to go to. I never have any takers.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by teacherbailey
Related question: If I made Baby #1 a quilt, do I need to make Baby #2 one as well? Mom is a good friend and coworker but refuses to find out the gender pre-birth and I hate working around that.....BUT---don't want #1 to have a quilt to use into at least the school years (It turned out about twin size or so) and #2 to feel left out. Due day is around New Year's Day so I have plenty of time as I make them really simple with great fabrics. What do you think?
Here's what I think: The importance of the quilt for Baby #2 in the minds of you and the babies' mom is the key to whether you should make the quilt or not. If it's not important to "mom" and if it's something that won't nag at your conscience, then you should not feel compelled to make the quilt; a nice purchased gift would do just as well. However, I get the impression that YOU would feel better about the whole situation if you make a quilt for the new kid.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:04 PM

I too have had several people ask me to make them one-not even family members (who ALL have them by now, and I am on my second round!) or close friends-what I would call casual acquanitances, and I tell them they will just have to "wait in line". I have no intention of making quilts for people unless I WANT to make one for them. I have never had a family memeber "ASK", and have happily made one for each of them (nieces, nephews, grand niece and nephew, and aunt & uncle, as well as my 2 sisters and 2 sons. I did make a crip quilt for a GOOD friend's first baby, and a going-away give/house warming present for another GOOD friend. I know most people have NO clue the work and money that goes into one-and I hand-quilt, so the time investment is hugh.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:59 PM

All of you have made great points!

I do have to say that my dd is marrying a young man in Nov who has a 4yo dd. She will be my new granddaughter. She saw the quilts that I made for 2 other granddaughters in the same pattern but different colors.

My dd told me that when she was at her fiance's house and the little girl was there with her other grandma she said 'my new grandma is going to make me a quilt' ... I thought that was so cute. So I am going to give her one around the time of the wedding. And I'm going to give her a Christmas quilt that looks like the ones I've given to my other 3 grand kids. I can tell from her statement that she WILL appreciate it.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 07-12-2010, 08:32 PM

at one time i had people doing the same thing to me but after awhile i started to tell them they had to get in line that i was backed up for awhile if they wanted to wait and gave them a estimated time plus some give for me, i figured if they wanted to wait that long i would make it at my leisure if not they bought something as a gift somewhere else
Old 07-12-2010, 09:51 PM
Power Poster

I hope you are charging these friends for the material, time and expertise they are receiving.
Old 07-12-2010, 10:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DebFowler
I have a problem with people now expecting me to make quilts as gifts for babies, weddings, etc. These people are mostly people I work with. I started this myself and now I don't know how to get out of it. I spend so much time quilting for other people, I don't have time to quilt just for enjoyment or heaven forbid, make something for myself!
just tell them that you are unable to------you need time for a project of your own----------NIP IT IN THE BUD/1/2 OPEN FLOWER --NOW!!!
Old 07-13-2010, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Shorebird
You should merely state that you have several orders waiting, and with the increased costs of fabrics, threads, you are also going to have to increase what you charge to make quilts for others.........You may want to have a "cost" sheet printed up just for occasions like this..........show them what it would cost for a basic quilt in crib, twin, full size.........
I agree. One thing I do that also works is say "I'll give you a family / friend discount". Then they think they're getting a deal. I also let them know once I know exactly what they want how much the material is estimated to cost. That helps them understand how expensive it is to make a quilt. I've never had a problem with this. I have repeat customers using this method.

Good Luck !!
Old 07-13-2010, 07:29 AM

I have a sister in-law who praises my craft skills to the sky and back - and then asks me to make her something She has said "if you ever make me a quilt I'd like it to be ...." or she says "if you ever got around to making a dress for me i'd like ... " I appreciate her loving praise and I was planning on getting to her quilt after I finished the three for my children that I am working on right now. I feel pressured although she has not asked for it in a specific way. It's hard because, ironically, I started quilting to get rid of all the pink fabric my girls "outgrew" and she LOVES pink. My response has been that I love her, and someday I hope to make her something. I also know that when I do get a round to-it, she will be over the moon with joy.

I would suggest saying no - give all the reasons if you have to - You could even tell The people who are asking the truth, that you are just so overwhelmend and would love to but you just can't right now. And then hopefully those who DO receive will be properly surprised and happy. (hopefully)

Oh - and then give thanks to God that you have been endowed with such gifts that you can give pleasure to people!