Half Lab- half fish?

Old 07-12-2010, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by JS
It could be six of one and half a dozen of another. I think your dog being a lab does love the water but, although he lets the children abuse him and that is what it is I am sure he does not relish this. Children should be taught to treat any animal with respect. That means they should be taught what to do and what not to do with the animal and its fur etc.
Believe me this dog in not abused! He is loved every inch of the way. I'm sorry you misunderstood my description of how good he is with the kids.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by stitchesnstaples
My son has a lab and it is the same with her. She loves the lake. They have to force her to come out. One time she got what the Vet. said is limp tail. It is from swimming to much. They use their tail as a rudder. She could not sit on her butt for about a week. So now he really keeps a eye on her when they go to the lake. She is one silly but great dog. He taught her to shake when she gets to the shore so she doesn't get everyone wet. It's so funny. When she comes out he just says shake and she does, then she comes up to the cabin.
This happened to my black lab, Nali once!! We couldn't figure out what was the matter at first then finally it clicked that she had done a bunch of swimming for a couple of days before this!
Old 07-12-2010, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by sbeddingfield
Mine loved to swim or sit or lay in water but hated a bath - silly but true.
Blessings,
Scherrie
mine are the same, love the water, hate a bath or to be sprayed by the hose!!!
Old 07-12-2010, 08:43 PM

Simon the lab dives down to retrieve toys from the deep end of the swimming pool. then he climbs the ladder to come out and give it back so you can throw it in again. my mother's dog, a scottie, hated to get wet but had to follow the labs into the pool, so he rode a surfboard. silly dog.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:59 PM

You may have to take him swimming pool shopping to get him to come home :D

Our first cat would get in the bathtub with me. She loved the water
Old 07-12-2010, 10:55 PM
Power Poster

I think they love water.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:58 AM

He may weigh only 6lbs. but he has a ton of heart.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:20 AM

We have two of those, although they are Chocolate Labs! I swear that our Molly, who is eight, can smell the water before she even see it. When she was younger we used to have to keep her on a really long lead when she went swimming in the river 'cause she wouldn't come back for nothing and we were afraid she would get to tired and not be able to swim back to shore. A couple of years ago we were at the Colorado River and someone had to bring her back on a SeaDoo. We thought we had lost her but as soon as she hit the shore she was back at it. We haven't let her near the water since. And she won't get to go swimming again until she has a life jacket!
Old 07-13-2010, 07:44 AM

My son has a Black Lab, about a year old. He bought the dog one of those kiddie pools about ankle high, so the dog could cool off. They have a bigger pool for the kids, about waist high. It kept getting all sorts of black hair in it. One night my son walked out on the back screen room and saw Lilly shoot up and into the pool, play around in the water and come sliding out like a seal! Night time is her favorite time, when no one is watching!
Old 07-13-2010, 08:02 AM

We had a black lab for 13 yrs. He was a water dog, also. Have you ever seen them dive? My kids use to fill cans with rocks and throw it in the water. If he ran out of breath, he come up for air and have a stick or something and the kids would say, no,go down again and get the can and he always found it.
We took him to the beach and the seagulls were taunting him. They would land on the water, he would swim out to them and so on and so on until he was so far out he looked like a black dot. That time we thought we lost him, but he floated back. I loved that dog.