Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
useful or use less quilting notions. >

useful or use less quilting notions.

useful or use less quilting notions.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:17 AM

Oh my new quilting friend and this board are the most useful. I am learning so much from both. Thanks all.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO
How many of use own a quilting notion which we use all the time and what is it??? Mine is a wooden pin cushion from a furniture shop and a magnetic saucer from my dad who used his for screws when doing woodwork.
Or
That draw full of must buy notions which we use once if it was lucky and are stuck wawy for ever. i have a small wheel which is supposed to draw a 1/4inch seam. still in its wrapper.
Also a battery operated battery winder which doesn't wind the thread tight enough.
I thought I had to have a clover mini iron for applique - so I bought the super duper deluxe with interchangeable plates - it looks good hanging up .....maybe someday.................
Old 07-13-2010, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by cat-on-a-mac
It's not exactly a "notion", but I think a wonderful tool is the computer and the internet. When I started quilting last summer, I was amazed at all the information that was available online. And connections to other quilters ... like this web site ... are really fun and helpful and inspiring.
Yes, I agree!! I don't have anyone close to help me with quilting, so have learned a LOT by using this great machine and meeting new people to help me learn
Old 07-13-2010, 08:41 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Charlee
Originally Posted by BellaBoo
With the Clover mini iron, it has to be brought up to temp at least four or five times before it will reach the hottest temp. After that it will heat to the hottest every time. (an electrician told me to that and he was right).
BellaBoo...you have to bring it to temp each time you use it or is that a one time thing that after you use it 3 or 4 times it will heat to a higher temp from then on?
I have one....used it once...my coffee was hotter than that thing got and haven't tried it since! :thumbdown:
After it is brought to heat several times it will heat up to max every time after that. It worked for mine! I was ready to toss it, it wouldn't get hot enough.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by teddysmom
My husband bought the AccuGo. Still not sure it's worth the price since all dies are extra and run $75+. I wouldn't
have spent the money but HE insisted it was worth the money. I now let him cut all my 2 1/2" strips. If you have money to spare and feel that money isn't an issue, you MIGHT consider it.

Sara in NC
You are shopping at the wrong place! I find the dies at 40% off all the time online. Just two weeks ago I found the new designer dies for 50% off and free shipping. The sales are always listed on the yahoo group but you have to hurry when they are listed.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:55 AM

How about a thread listing the best places for shopping on line. Those
with best selections & best sales/prices.Or are we allowed to post them?
I'm new on here & not sure of the rules. Pat
Old 07-13-2010, 09:24 AM

i gave away my bobbin winder, did not like how it worked,and was just more clutter on my sewing desk.
and the adjustable side table that goes around your machine.
The one thing I have that I have that I do not use is my fabric mover with stitch regulator.
Could not get by without all my gingher scissors and snips.
Love new goodies and keep looking for more, LOL
Old 07-13-2010, 09:40 AM

I burned my hand SO bad with my clover mini-iron that it now sits in a box in storage.

A few years ago, I asked my dh for the cordless iron by Maytag (I think). Not only did it cost WAY too much, but I could rarely finish ironing before it got cold and I had to wait for it to warm back up. Then, it would automatically shut off after a couple of minutes and I was stuck waiting again for it to heat up. I now have a Rowenta that I LOVE!

I also purchased a dritz tool that was supposed to push plastic through the three layers to secure the quilt layers prior to quilting. I ended up having large holes in my quilt because it broke the threads of the fabric instead of sliding between them. Not only that, but having to cut each of the plastic pieces out prior to sewing was a pain. I then tried safety-pins, bought the kwik-clip (that I have NEVER used), and gave up on that too. I now use spray basting for everything.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:10 AM

Oh my! How could I have forgotten my Ott-lights! I have two - one for cutting and one for sewing. I have another great light - halogen - where I hand quilt but I want to replace it with an Ott. One word of warning though - NEVER - EVER pay full price for them. If you can't get them for 50% off you aren't trying hard enough. I want to fill the whole house with them! They are great therapy for those of us with Seasonal Affective Disorder.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:39 AM

My husband (gasp) explained that the bobbin winder needed more tension on the thead, mine works great now.

Sharon

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO
How many of use own a quilting notion which we use all the time and what is it??? Mine is a wooden pin cushion from a furniture shop and a magnetic saucer from my dad who used his for screws when doing woodwork.
Or
That draw full of must buy notions which we use once if it was lucky and are stuck wawy for ever. i have a small wheel which is supposed to draw a 1/4inch seam. still in its wrapper.
Also a battery operated battery winder which doesn't wind the thread tight enough.