Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What have you made or bought anything since you found this Quilting Board site from reading messages! >

What have you made or bought anything since you found this Quilting Board site from reading messages!

What have you made or bought anything since you found this Quilting Board site from reading messages!

Old 07-10-2010, 10:57 AM

STARCH!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-10-2010, 11:47 AM
Power Poster

Big time on the vintage sewing machines. I love that tread as does DH. That is how I got here.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:35 PM

Oh, you are enablers! A year ago I was really just a quilter wanna-be, was afraid to commit to trying projects. I just had my first anniversary on the board...I joined to participate in a doll quilt swap 'cause it sounded like fun. (It was!) I did several more doll quilts, a block swap, I'm in one of the IRRs and I'm now hosting the tablerunner swap (I made my first tablerunners for the summer swap!). My family is at the point where they are asking me to keep something I make!

Because of what I've learned on the QB, I've also made D9P placemats and schlepp bags. I've bought STARCH, more STARCH and SIZING. I've bought some Eleanor Burns rulers for HST and flying geese. I got the June Taylor shape cutter (love it!). I learned about scant 1/4 inches (I'm still practicing!) I bought a 1/4 inch foot with a guide. I bought a larger cutting mat. I got the book Hooked on Feathers to try FMQ (will do that in the near future). I got Eleanor Burn's Night and Day book and a book from Quiltville/Bonnie Hunter. I just ordered Yellow Brick Road pattern for DD to try for her first quilt and I'm getting FQs from Connecting Thread for her to use. I also now order my thread from Connecting Threads and I've gotten fabric from there as well as Whittles, Fabric.com [saved $ there using a coupon code posted by a QB member], Nancy's Notions, Crow's Nest Quilting on Ebay. I've also checked out dozens of other wonderful quilting sites recommended here. I use Elmer's School Glue for seam basting and attaching binding. I've tried some great recipes. I've found some wonderful jokes to send to family and friends. And I've found lots of laughter and a community that offers lots of heartfelt sharing and support on the QB. Thank you all!
Old 07-11-2010, 11:23 AM
Google Goddess

I agree!

Originally Posted by AVQuilter
This board is a blessing for all of us!! Support, ideas, prayers and friendships...things money can't buy.
We are a circle of friends from the heart who share our passion to keep this world beautiful with quilts...who could ever ask for more?

Nan
Old 07-11-2010, 05:58 PM

New friends and tons of inspiration. I bought the book Bargello Quilts with a Twist. I haven't had the chance to make one yet, but my sister did, and it was gorgeous (her favorite). Thanks gcathie!! I also got the templates from Rhonda, but likewise I haven't had a chance. Hopefully I will have my grandson's quilt done soon, and then I can move on to others. Every time I see earthwalker's avatar, I think of artists, and it reminds me that I want to do a quilt inspired by Piet Mondrian.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Banned

All though I have not purchesed much at all, do to not having money, everything I know about quilting, I have learned from all of you. You have tot me everything from your kindness, your generosity, your compation, your spiritual words, your support and most of all your friendship. you have made me the person I am today., buy showing me it is all wright to recive a gift from you weather it be a scrap of fabric to a bag of batting. your kindness and generosity has made it possable for me to learn to quilt, you have made me cry with your kind words and your gifts of paying it forward, you have made me want to live through another day of pain, so I can show you what I have made, and I could not have done it without all of you. I just recived the bow tucks pattern in the mail from a very kind lady, and I have the dimond quilt pattern that was given to me to. the diamond pattern will be my quilt, so it has to wait tell I get all my families done first, and then I can start collecting fabric for it.When I needed jean fabric, you all were right there for me, the first time in my life I had to ask for help, and there was such a response, that I have enough to make all my children and grand children there birthday gifts this year, you are all so very speacial to me, and you don't ridequl me because I cant spell, may God bless each and everyone of you, for being who you are. thank you all for being there for me, in my time of truble. Penny
Old 07-12-2010, 01:39 PM

I discovered Moda fabrics! And many, many new friends!
Old 07-13-2010, 02:54 AM

Here two days and bought the bok The Farmers wife. I want to get in on group that is making this quilt
Old 07-13-2010, 05:19 PM

I've bought my mats, rulers, 2 sizes of rotary cutters AND a pair of $2.99 F&P quilting gloves with the little rubbery nubbies on the hands that I absolutely love. I wear them almost all of the time I'm doing any sewing. It leads to much less hand strain.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
I bought a Singer 301 at a garage sale. I don't even like old stuff, only new things. I don't like garage sales, either. I've read about all the great things others find and buy, so when I saw it, I bought it. The only reason I was there to start with is because our Guild sent out an email telling about the sale.
Tell us now??...are you just delighted with that old Singer??? I sew on the Singer 201, and she will stitch till the cows come home! It is only a straight stitch, forward and reverse.. but the single needle throat plate helps me piece items that my newer machine eats the points off of...LOL It you ever have a chance to find an old Singer...201, 301, Featherweight....GRAB IT! The portable machines come in an old looking suitcase...many people at a garage or estate sale will not even bother to see if there is anything in that ugly old piece of luggage...but SURPRISE.....you just found a treasure! (If my 201 was not installed in a cabinet, I would take her everywhere I go)...but hubby bought me a nice Juki to take to classes, and she of course has some stitch variety! I do need to order the single needle throat plate for that machine to keep those hungry feed dogs at bay! LOL)