Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
One Reason Local Quilt Shops do not have Booming Business >

One Reason Local Quilt Shops do not have Booming Business

One Reason Local Quilt Shops do not have Booming Business

Old 07-14-2010, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by sewgull
Any business should remember service is what they are selling. No matter the product if customers are treated unkind or not friendly, the doors will be closed for lack of customers.
A customer should be greeted just as you would greet a guest coming to your home.
A smile make like better.
You are absolutely right. I however work in a fabric shop and it would be nice if the customers acted like they were visitors in someone elses home. The way a lot of customers conduct themselves is disgraceful.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:55 AM

your right about that! We need to show mutual respect to the shop staff as well as each other.What goes around comes around!
Old 07-14-2010, 04:59 AM

I refuse to shop our local quilt shops just for that exact reason. I've gone to all 4 in and around our area and they completely ignored me and when I did ask for help I was made to feel as if I was bothering them. My husband was with me one time and he said loudly "I'm not giving a penny to any of these snobs, let's go!". Joanns may not have the most helpful people but they have always been pleasant and at least I'm not paying an arm and a leg to be ignored!
Old 07-14-2010, 05:20 AM

I have never been in a LQS that I didn't receive the best customer service a store could offer. And I've been in quilt shops in several states from MS to GA to TX to WA. I was always greeted when coming in the door and asked several times if I needed any help. I'm going to say what you experienced was rather rare. Maybe give the shop another chance. Everyone has a bad day now and then.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:22 AM

I know how you felt that day. It seems in my area if you're not a "regular" they don't pay much attention to you. How do you become a "regular"???
Old 07-14-2010, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by janRN
I stopped in my LQ last week and was greeted when I entered. I declined the offered help and went to look at fabric, thanking him and telling him I'd let him know when I needed fabric cut. I was the only one in the store and he was the only employee. Just as I was walking to the cutting table, a gentleman came in and said he wanted to purchase a sewing machine for his wife. My 3 bolts of fabric and I were suddenly invisible!! The employee actually turned his back to me and ushered the man to the wall of machines and started his sales pitch. I felt he should have shown the man where to start looking, cut my fabric, and then returned to him. I laid the fabric ON THE FLOOR and left--employee still never turned around.
Having worked in a fabric store, sometimes customers would play the "power trip", too. They' d wander around carrying bolts of fabric, declining any help, mixing, matching -all perfectly fine. But just they second you'd turn to help someone else, they'd act like "OK now!" and expect you to drop everything and go back to them, when all the signals they were sending was that they had plenty of time. Admittedly, the clerk should have asked the gentleman if he minded if your fabric could be cut first, but I expect he was making a judgement call, timewise , seeing that you had already refused help, and might still be matching fabric. Sometimes the machine shoppers only take a few minutes and move on.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:35 AM

[quote=bob1414
I actually ran a quilt shop in this city for a friend of mine after she relocated and I would never have ignored customers this way. I don't know of any reason to be this way.

:-)[/quote]

I find it interesting that those of us (myself included) who have worked in retail are all the more sensitive to the treatment given by staff in a business. I too frequent the stores where I recieve a greeting and offer of help, and not stores where I am ignored...
Old 07-14-2010, 05:37 AM

Sounds like you may have been in Norway :thumbdown:

With the exception of my LQS that is run by my best friend many shops, even in the mall, think they are doing you a favor just by being there!

I remember a sign in an old Acme store: Customers are not an interruption to our business, they are our business!
Old 07-14-2010, 05:40 AM

I'm going to the Quilt show in Knoxville tomorrow. Oh, happy day!
Old 07-14-2010, 05:43 AM

Its funny you should have this on todays conversation...I was just talking to a LQS owner about that same thing...my dh and I travel all the time..I use my Quilters Campanion Guide to find shops...I will write in it my experience...and the one to keep me from going back to a shop is when they can't even say Hello how are you...if there is anything I can help you with please let me know...thats all I ask..it takes them 20 seconds...I am not asking them to find out my life story...but customer service is number one in my book...I don't mind spending ALOT of money in a shop if they are friendly and curtious...if they don't act like I exist...I never go back...and trust me a can spend some money in a shop...ask my LQS owners...so I had this conversation wiht one of them the other day...told her about an experience I had in another shop of traveling and how her girls should always look up from what they are doing and take 20 seconds..thats all..then at least people who come in know you care that they are there...no one wants to be followed around a shop like your about to steal the bank...but a 20 second hello is not asking to much when I will drop enough to pay for your paycheck that week for it....blessings