Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
One Reason Local Quilt Shops do not have Booming Business >

One Reason Local Quilt Shops do not have Booming Business

One Reason Local Quilt Shops do not have Booming Business

Old 07-14-2010, 09:50 AM

I was born in Danville IL but don't get back very often. I'm living in VA now and that is where I've learned the 'love of quilting'.

I also noticed your Raptureready name. Boy, I'm right there with you.

Have a blessed day!
Old 07-14-2010, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by oneygirl
I just think it is much more convenient to shop online for fabric. There is such a wider selection and not so much drive time. I figure I spend at least $5.00 on gas round trip and when I shop online I can hunt for the best bargains and have it delivered to my door.
$5 is a cheap trip. I'm 50 miles from the nearest WM and LQS that have fabric - about $12 in gas. Next closest are 120 miles away - about $30 in gas. They're talking about putting a JoAnns in about 20 miles from me that that will be about a $5 trip, which I will appreciate. Meanwhile, I do an awful lot of shopping online. Cuts down on impulse purchases and the shipping is sometimes cheaper than gas.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by bob1414
I am so sad that this goes on in the U.S. We made our country great (well, it used to be, anyway) partly because of free enterprise. Do people feel like it is a privilege for us to come into their stores? They are the lucky ones, right?
I feel that it's a mutual relationship, as with any store I shop in. They want my business, and I want the services and products they offer. Without them I would have to shop online which I don't find nearly as social or satisfying. (I love to feel the fabric and look at the notions before I buy them.) :D :-D
Old 07-14-2010, 10:55 AM

I had never had that happen in over 20 years then BAM. A very nice quiltshop that advertises everywhere suddenly moved about 5 miles away. It was a bit of a trek to find but we did and walked in thinking everyone would be so glad to see that we had found their new shop. They had always been so friendly and called us by name for over 5 years. Not a peep! We looked thru the shop, bought nothing, and left without anyone even saying hi! Needless to say, we will not go back and I don't think they will last long.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:13 AM

Most of the LQS I've been in were very friendly. I've always been hesitant to order online as I've had a few experiences there. Where are some good places?
Old 07-14-2010, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by fliedermaus
Reading through this I can see a big difference between England and the US. Over here shop owners/workers rarely greet you and if you want help you have to seek it out. In the few stores that I have been in that do greet you and actively help I find myself going back. It's a real treat.

I guess we have the stiff upper lip/shyness/reservedness thing going on hahaha! :lol:
i am from england, and i agree with you here..but,on the other hand..we have sat with total strangers to eat, when there was no other openings at the tables,when i was with my mum in england.
here, it would not go over so well. i have offered up our extra seats to people standing and waiting for a table, and you would think i had the measles!
Old 07-14-2010, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by bob1414
It sounds like this has happened to everyone - here's my latest experience. I was in one of our local quilt shops in Sioux Falls, SD this weekend. I specifically went to buy fabric to bind a quilt. I was not greeted upon entering although an employee was right there. After being in the shop for several minutes, nobody asked if I needed any assistance. I ended up spending less than $10 and if someone would have taken the time to see what I was interested in, I would have easily spent over $100!!! I routinely spend $100-$350 per month with online quilt shops even though I cannot see the fabric in person. This store could have had a much better day of sales if the employee(s) would have "bothered" to see if I needed assistance. Please, quilt shopw owners - if you see this, make the effort to assist customers!! I'm not just speaking for myself!

I actually ran a quilt shop in this city for a friend of mine after she relocated and I would never have ignored customers this way. I don't know of any reason to be this way.

Thanks for letting me vent - I feel like I'm in a 12 step meeting!!! :-)
My people know me by name even though I live 45 miles away & the shop is in a big city. They are all very friendly & caring. The Hancock people are also pretty friendly Hobby Lobby not as much but still nice.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by needlehappy
Originally Posted by LaurieE
I guess I'm different than ya'll. I don't particularly care if I'm greeted upon entering a store. I don't want them to ask if they can help me, either. 99% of the time when I walk into a quilt store, I have a thousand design thoughts racing through my mind and I don't want an employee interrupting my thoughts.

Many times I'm there to look at what's new. Many times I'm looking for something for a specific quilt and I know what I'm looking for.

With all that said, I do expect the employee to be friendly when they're cutting my fabric or when I do ask for assistance.
I'm with you. Yes the assistant should be friendly but I like to think that I have a brain of my own and can look for myself. The worst thing is to have someone following you around while trying to shop.I know where the assistant is if I need help I don't need someone falling all over me.
Ok guys, I'm sure all of us here agree that we can shop by ourselves, but when you ask for help and someone says "no", there is definitely a problem. And whatever happened to common courtesy of saying "hello"??
Old 07-14-2010, 11:58 AM

I like to be acknowledged when I walk in, but even more important to me is being thanked. I fortunately have not had any bad experiences. I do visit a shop that is not as friendly as my favorite, but I think that's because I don't go in there as often and therefore they don't recognize me. I also don't go out of my way to speak with them either. I'm sure if I started a conversation, they would be more than happy to talk with me unless they were very busy, which they usually are.

Overall, I love my LQS and wouldn't trade them for anything!!!
Old 07-14-2010, 12:15 PM

Sadly, I have had that experience where I live also - too often! If I'm not greeted when I go into a Quilt Shop, then I look around for a minute and leave, and give my business to someone else! I'm with you, I give my business to those who earn it!