Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
One Reason Local Quilt Shops do not have Booming Business >

One Reason Local Quilt Shops do not have Booming Business

One Reason Local Quilt Shops do not have Booming Business

Old 07-15-2010, 05:30 AM

Would the poem go something like this:
God grant me the serenity to buy only sale product,
Understand not to over buy
And the wisdom to know the difference between need and want.

I'm not sure of the whole thong
Old 07-15-2010, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by deedum
I don't want to be bugged either,a friendly hello and if you need anything or have questions, is just fine with me. However, if you don't get even a friendly glance then I will not welcomed. I do like to browse on my own and not feel pressured to buy anything. I am more apt to buy more if I can just browse and enjoy!
My husband and I were at the gun shop last week, and the salesman would not shut up. He rambled on and on about this gun and that gun. All we wanted to do was look and compare brands. We politely handed him back a pistol and left. If we wanted high pressure sales tactics, we will go to a car lot and deal with the sharks....LOL
Old 07-15-2010, 09:07 AM

Yes, Bob1414
I have crossed the threshhold of a LQS and the owner(s) ONLY seems to have an interest in the "Regulars", not the newbies and people that don't frequent their store often. I have been in this shop more than once to see this happen; therefore I find my fabrics elsewhere. They may ask if they can assist if the mood strikes them or their "regulars" aren't there (Not sure which). I have also seen them at Quilt shows in the area and they are "Very Standoff-ish" and will only converse with the faces they know or recognize. The rest they just look through or around in search for the "regulars". That's enough of the ugly stuff---I'm off to sew now.
Old 07-15-2010, 09:39 AM

Was passing through Bakersfield Ca and stopped at a LQS there. Had a Quilt block with me and as a newbee wanted to know if I was doing things right. Whow what a reception! Was told they couldn't help or offer any help. Needless to say. I won't be stopping in again even tho they had some beaaaaautiful fabrics and my DH was willing to pay the bill for what ever I wanted. I felt very ashamed that I even ask.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:46 AM

As a new quilter, I went to our local quilt show. I was appalled at the way I was treated by the a quilt store that we have in Tulsa.

They stood around talking while I was trying to determine if I wanted to buy something or not and I had to interupt them to ask a question and you would have thought I had committed a crime by saying "excuse me, can I ask you a qustion".

I bought the kit anyway because I fell in love with the cat quilt. Their sign said everything included to make the wall hanging on display ($55 by the way).

After I got it home a week later, I decided to pull out the instructions and start cutting. I soon discovered, the backing listed on the content list and used on the display was not there. The instructions showed that it was.

Well, I called them and geeze, same cold treatment I got at the show. I was also told they "never" include the backing. I asked her why it showed up on the kit content list. Would you believe she told me to show us what backing they use but that I should know they would never include backing. Then she hung up on me!!!

Uhhhh excuse me, but how the heck was I suppose to know that??? No where on the instructions or on the display, did it say "backing not included). For $55 it very well could have been.

Anyway, I will never step foot inside that Tulsa quilt store. It is a shame that it is the largest one in our area. I will just plan and order on line or go to JoAnn's or Hancocks.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:39 PM

Wow, there is a lot of good information in this thread for shop owners. Mainly I only know what happens in the shop I deal with. They are possibly over friendly. I think it may be a small town thing.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:45 PM

I have a good relationship at one of the local quilt shops. Almost every time I walk in they say "hello lori" . Its like that saying from cheers "just want to go where they know your name". They also know I like to just wander for a while , before they ask me if I need any help.
It is really nice when it feels comfortable .. it makes me go back again and again.
One shop owner asked for suggestions. I told her I thought she should have fat quarters since many patterns now have quanitites in Fat quarter units. She just looked at me and said 'fat quarters are stupid" . it was the tone ... it felt like the next sentence was going to be "and you are too".
Old 07-15-2010, 12:57 PM

It is so sad to see this happening, anywhere. I thought that your customers were what you were open for. Whether it be a quilt shop or Captain D's that speaks to you before you get in the door good. I've been at my job for almost 31 years. My patient with me and if I pass another one coming in the door gets eye contact, a smile and hello. How hard is that. You don't have to kiss their feet. Sorry. That was ill mannered mother would have said. It is un-called for. Quilting to me is an art. It holds a certain air about it. Not haughty, but I think you know what I am trying to say. Treat your customers tha same way you yourself would want to be treated. It's common courtesy. Emily
Old 07-15-2010, 01:17 PM

Agree. Acknowledge that I came in, tell me you will be available for help if I need it. Don't hover over me , but don't ignore me either.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:42 PM

Sounds like you were in a JoAnns instead of a LQS.
:lol: